Household Dangers . . . particularly from chemicals

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:00 am

The link at the end of this introduction is to the care2 website and discusses 11 overlooked household dangers.

While this article focuses a little too intently on sponges, there are dangers in the house.

Chief among those dangers are chemicals that are not allowed in the European Union but which are embraced in the US.

What I found most interesting is that formaldehyde is present in permanent press fabrics. Frankly, I always thought it was the polyester itself. Both my kids and I have developed rashes from sleeping on sheets that 50%-50% cotton and polyester. It may be the formaldehyde used to treat such sheets.

My parents gave my now adult kids Star Wars sheets when they were very young. The kids had facial rashes from them and I had to wash them several times to stop the rashes. Had I known that I was putting formaldehyde in the water . . . I would have done something else. But what?

Now, a word to all of you who think big business is your friend. It is not. Do not for one minute think that the executives of these manufacturing firms are ignorant of the dangers these chemicals pose.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/11-hidden-household-dangers.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,617 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:24 am
I developed an allergy to formaldehyde when I stupidly followed the vanity trends and got fake nails put on. Gels, acrylics and silk wraps all use the stuff. It's used as a hardening agent and when you buy cheap or sometime expensive push-up or padded bras made by the likes of Victoria Secret it part of the process.
It's terrible stuff and now I can't wear or use anything with it as ingredient. Try and find a bra that isn't padded nowadays... I really wish the government agencies that are supposed to protect us, would.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:34 am
Well, you can do only so much and to a certain extend we have to live with
chemicals.

I don't have a sponge though, I use paper towels only, but I drink bottled water as I find it most convenient. My cookware isn't glass or cast iron either - way too heavy for me (except a few Le Creuset). I do use cotton sheets. I never could stand the 50/50 cotton/poly sheets, they just don't feel right, especially for kids. I also had my mother send cotton sleepwear from Europe for my daughter when she was young, as apparently the kids sleepwear in the United States has these fire retardant components in sleepwear and the fabric is mostly synthetic.

I use these cleaning supplies and I especially like the lavender scent

http://i.treehugger.com/files/mrs-meyers.jpg

plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 10:09 am
@Ceili,
Wow! I had no idea formaldehyde was in bras! Just what women need . . . covering their breasts with a poison!

I know what you mean about padding. Most of those bras can not be washed . . . the padding bunches up.

Try Jockey bras. They make a reasonably priced cotton knit bra with an underwire and without that is comfortable to wear.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 10:14 am
@CalamityJane,
I use Mrs. Meyer's and Dr. Broner's soap. Mostly, I clean with baking soda which takes care of just about everything. Vinegar does the rest. Barkeeper's friend is great for cleaning stainless steel.

I did not have a microwave for many years because a former neighbor, head of endocrinology at Brigham's and Women's said they aren't a good idea in households with children under 10. After my daughter, then in college, bought one from a woman moving to the Midwest, I told my kids to only microwave in glass. We still do to this day.
0 Replies