A question about the safety of Roundup & other weed killers.

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:00 pm
Does your invsive vine look like a morning glory?
msolga

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:00 pm
@dadpad,
Quote:
Again I'd suggest taking some of your creeper down to CERES or to another nursery somewhere and asking.

Idea

Excellent, suggestion, dp!

It is probably famous (or notorious, more likely!) in the local area!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:08 pm
@dadpad,
In case any of you are wondering what this CERES place, which dadpad keeps referring to, actually is.:

http://www.ceres.org.au/

I used to live a 5 minute walk away. I wish I still did. Very handy!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:10 pm
@sullyfish6,
Quote:

Sorry, sullyfish, I'm not sure if it does or not. Neutral
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 09:19 pm
@msolga,
Seems that we all have a great deal of trouble around here with sarcasm and the like.
msolga

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 09:21 pm
@JTT,
If you say so.
I wouldn't have thought so, myself.

Are you a gardener, JTT?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 09:43 pm
Thank you for the thumbs down.
JTT

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 10:29 pm
@msolga,
Are you a gardener, JTT?

Just grass, MsO, but I'd like to have a garden.

Thank you for the thumbs down.

Who are you speaking to?

msolga

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 10:30 pm
@JTT,
Why the person who thumbed down the thread, JTT.

Of course.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 10:43 pm
@JTT,
Is it a possibility that that some of that grass area can be made into a garden?
JTT

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 12:45 am
@msolga,
Who do you suspect that was, MsO?

Is it a possibility that that some of that grass area can be made into a garden?

There's no doubt that it could and there's a good chance it could happen.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 12:45 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
The other problem is that many weeds have evolved a super immunity against several of these weed killers(withRoundup at thetop).In the areas where weve used "Roundup Ready" soybeans and cotton (GM modified soybeans and cotton seeds that are immune to Glyphosate), weeds were killed at about 99.999% (which left 0.001% of weeds with a natural immunity and this allowed evolution carving out a broader immunity via Hardy Weinberg type distributions of variability). Now, weve got supre Giant weeds that are a real pain in the ass to deal with in 1000acre fields. Theres a giant Amaranth that has developed not only immunity, but has evolved a huge ropy plant stem that can grow higher than the soybeans or even corn. The farmers of the midwest are now busy "flaming" many of these weeds to kill em
there was a major story running around a few weeks back about how the round-up immune weeds have developed almost instantly (with in five years of roundup ready GMO seeds becoming common) when it was expected that we would have 20-30 years of use. In the last two years there have been a slew of complaints about how Monsanto is rapidly ramping up the price of round-up ready seed. This is going bad in a hurry, and there does not seem to be a decent herbicide on the horizon to replace it. Nobody figured we would need one for a long time.
dadpad

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 12:49 am
@sullyfish6,
sullyfish6 wrote:

MORNING GLORY is any of several flowering vines of the Convolvulaceae family. This family includes hundreds of species found in all the warmer parts of the world. Among them are the sweet potato, bindweed, and moonflower. Some are showy vines, and others are troublesome weeds. The common morning glory (Ipomoea purpurea) is the showy flowering vine that is widely grown in the temperate regions of North America. It is an annual, but certain other species are perennials.
All morning glories thrive in hot weather. The leaves are usually heart shaped and light green. The blossoms are spreading and funnel shaped. They may be white or light pink. The unproved varieties also have large blue, red, purple, or striped blossoms. One species, I. pandurata, has large, white blossoms that open in the evening. The blossoms of most of the others open in the morning and close about the middle of the afternoon.
Morning glories are easily cultivated in good soil. They are popular as coverings on fences and trellises. The tip of the plant slowly revolves around in a circle until it touches some object. Then it coils around it and starts to climb. Morning glories need brush, fences, string, or other vines to climb on.
http://www.flowers-cs.com/Pictures/MORNING%20GLORY.jpg

http://images.travelpod.com/users/lilly_annew/3.1204933860.morning-glory.jpg
http://www.plant-biology.com/Morning-glory.jpg
oolongteasup

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 12:51 am
@JTT,
Quote:
into a garden

paradise
roger

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 01:02 am
@oolongteasup,
Yes. That's what paradise means, in old Persian.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 02:05 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Who do you suspect that was, MsO?

Oolongteasup = no.1 suspect, JTT.

Quote:
There's no doubt that it could and there's a good chance it could happen.

Well I hope it does happen. Gardens are good for the soul. And good for growing food & for many other purposes, too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 02:09 am
@dadpad,
No, it doesn't look like Morning Glory, Dadpad.
Though similar leaves to the last photograph.
Are there any vine varieties which have knobbly fruit?

Thanks.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 05:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Im seeing that, among the subsistence farmers like the AMish, there is a new strategy that invloves a developing savvy in genetics. The new theory is that
1 We wont try to murder the broadleaf weeds by burning down the fields.

2Instead, we apply a dose of Roundup followed by a dose of stuff like 2,4 D or Dicamba (greatly diluted). These diluted values will render the plants that make it through--STERILE. So in good Darwinian mthods of "Artificial Selexction", there will be no DNA passing through to a next generation cause there will be NO NEW GENERAQTION>

MWAH HA HA HA.

Its getting kinda like a Bram SToker novel in Ag around here.
So, I think that Monsanto, in ramping up its Roundup Ready ****, may have to deal with this grassroots (so to speak) method of weed control . Its a way that doesnt involve special investments in one company's product.

As I said before, Roundup is OFF PATENT now so that anyone can make Glyphosate and sell it cheaply. Dicamba and 2,4 D have been off patent for years so to come up with a watered down version of "Agent Orange" and use it as a sterilizing agent, is just AGriculture catching up with technology.

I, of course, wouldnt eat anything thus grown, nor would I drink milk flavored with a 2,4 D pasture treatment.
0 Replies

horserider

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 11:07 am
@JTT,
Whats killing the Bee population?
0 Replies