Say it Isn't So..........Law & Order Cancelled :-(

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:21 am
@hawkeye10,
I think that the economic downturn is affecting more than television. I have noticed for quite a while that my super market is not stocking as much as in the past. Ditto for department stores. Double ditto for my local newspaper, where the biggest news is when some athlete or another is traded.

I think that TV is attempting to make money "on the cheap" by having all those reality shows. Years back, I watched the first season of "Survivor", with great anticipation. It was a new idea then, and I was intrigued. I won't go near those shows again.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:39 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I watched the first season of "Survivor", with great anticipation.
yeah you and Roberta, sad isn't it? I'm guessing you would have been better of watching the weather channel.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 10:12 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
I think that the economic downturn is affecting more than television. I have noticed for quite a while that my super market is not stocking as much as in the past. Ditto for department stores. Double ditto for my local newspaper, where the biggest news is when some athlete or another is traded

all are changing for reasons other than the recession as well. Television is on the way down because people have more channels to watch all the time and are increasingly not watching TV, retail is moving from brick and mortar to online so stores are under pressure to stay profitable on decreased volume, newspapers are on the way out because increasingly people dont use them...the last great use (and profit center) for newspapers was classified ads but the internet distroyed that.

TV is in a death spiral, they keep trying to cut costs because fewwer people and advertisers buy into the shows, which does effect the product quality, which drives even more people and advertisers away. I cut my land line phone years ago, and I probably whould have cut my Cable tv by now if it were not bundled with my interent. Lots of people are moving to not watching anything that looks like TV, or else watch old stuff online through netflixs or some such site...paying for quality new shows gets to be dicey.
firefly

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 10:30 am
@hawkeye10,
Are you just talking about broadcast TV? In general, TV viewing is at an all time high.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/24/us.video.nielsen/
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 10:44 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Are you just talking about broadcast TV? In general, TV viewing is at an all time high.
I see that you are correct...the issue is that people are increasingly watching in such a way that the networks do not collect ad rev for, thus are increasingly not able to afford quality content. The networks do get some money downstream as they sell access to show online, but they are in the business of making profits this quarter so this does long range rev is less valuable to them.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 02:42 pm
@Phoenix32890,
There is still hope for L&O....

Quote:

The New York Times
May 17, 2010, 3:13 pm

‘Law & Order’ Creator Still Looking To Bring Original Back
By BILL CARTER

Is “Law & Order” really dead?

Not if its creator, Dick Wolf, can help it. Mr. Wolf said after Monday’s NBC upfront presentation that he is out seeking “other offers” for his 20-year-old, New York-based franchise, which NBC cancelled this week.

Mr. Wolf has long aimed to see his signature police and legal procedural surpass the classic western “Gunsmoke” as television’s longest-running primetime drama. NBC’s decision left the two shows in a tie for that record.

Mr. Wolf was known to be negotiating as hard as he could to try to convince NBC to extend the show for another year. Monday he said he was not giving up but did not specify where he is hoping to place the series.

But Mr. Wolf did say that another potential plan " one that would have wrapped up the flagship “Law & Order” with a two-hour movie on NBC, is on hold until he exhausts every other opportunity to keep the show going as a weekly series.

0 Replies