This is to cool not to share

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 07:58 pm
And it also helps to reinforce my faith in humanity...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011740342_electronboy30m.html

Quote:
Thursday was shaping up to be just another school day for 13-year-old Erik Martin, but then something extraordinary happened: Spider-Man called.

Spider-Man happens to be one of the few people who knows that Erik, too, has a secret identity " he's Electron Boy, a superhero who fights the powers of evil with light.

And Spider-Man needed Erik's help.

Erik, who is living with liver cancer, has always wanted to be a superhero. On Thursday, the regional chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation granted him that wish with an elaborate event that involved hundreds of volunteers in Bellevue and Seattle

Read the rest of the story.
This type of story is why I support make-a-wish with my dollars.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:27 pm
@mysteryman,
I wish the boy well.

I don't know what I think about the foundation, by now I'm tending more to the negative, while I figure people mean well.. but I separate them from the boy.

I speak as someone who spent much of my time being twelve and thirteen going to St. Jude's shrine in Chicago, he being the saint of the impossible.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:38 pm
@mysteryman,
An old radiohead in Philly named Irv Homer made such a big deal about the "make-a-wish" Foundation and he entertained his listeners with all kinds of similar stories where people of means and not so much means would gather their resources to grant a wish to kids fighting for their lives. I too had begun donating to them and Ive never been suckered by the organization.
I have been suckered by the agencies like the AMerican Red Cross or "State Troopers Association". all those have hefty management costs that suck up much of the donated money. MAke a wish is very frugal and creative about what they do for the kids.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:43 pm
@farmerman,
I smell a fish, but of course I may be wrong.
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 08:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I believe youre wrong Osso. MAke a Wish Foundation began in Phoenix back in the 80's when a bunch of the Phoenix Police got together to grant a dying wish for a kid with leukemia. He wanted to be a cop. SO the cops pitched in and got him a unform and a badge and hat. The beginning of the Foundation was modest but it spread east from Phoenix and via Philly and New Jersey, it spread to other urban areas around the country and has become a XCharitable Organization under the Fed tax code.(501-3(c)).
They have branches in Canada and one in the UK now . Granting seriously ill kids a wish that could make "It the greatest time in my life" is not to be looked at with distrust , especially when its so grassroots oriented. Anyone who donates and supports Make a Wish (like Mysteryman and Me-two guys who cant even agree on the LAw of Gravity), I think that the organization is doing exactly what a God would like his creatures to be doing for each other (if there were such a guy).

Was there ever any flapdoodles about MaW? yepper, there certainly was. Back in the 80's a kid might have wished to go , say, elk hunting in ALaska, So the Foundation would pay for a trip for the kid and a guardian to go to ALsaka, be outfitted and take up on a big elk (or maybe some other wild animal) HUNT.

Well, the anti hunting people got themselves involved and now, there are no longer any hunts available to the kids.

"Ok kid, you with the leukemia, what do you wish for? You can do anything except hunt or fish."

Im a cynical bastard osso, but not about MaW. They are a bunch of big hearted people who put all differences aside to get something done for a kid who may have an acute illness.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 09:16 pm
@farmerman,
Ok, I'll listen to you, farmer, at least back into neutral with a little room for - 'for'.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 03:39 am
@ossobuco,
osso,
Here is their website...

http://www.wish.org/

And farmer is correct about how they operate.
When an organization like this comes along, most people are skeptical about them.
I admit I was at first.

There are so many organizations that claim to want to help kids, yet they never seen to do anything with the money that is donated to them.
MaW is one of the few groups that, IMHO, does more with money then any other group.
They also rely on volunteers to help.

Browse their website, read some of the things they have done, and I think your opinion of them will change.
And like farmer said, him and I agree on almost nothing, yet we both agree about MaW and the work they do.
That should tell you something.
farmerman

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:33 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
few groups that, IMHO, does more with money then any other group.
They also rely on volunteers to help.
A key point that cannot be said too much. As contributors , we understand that each of us may have some way to help whenever any kid wants to take part in some special adventure that requires major coordination and help.
So far, no kid in our area has asked to go on a fossil hunt in AFrica so I await the call to help.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:08 am
A local girl I knew got a Disney trip from them. She died a few months later from the brain cancer that we all hoped was in remission, but we all watched the trip pictures at her memorial.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 09:55 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
And Spider-Man needed Erik's help.

That's very cool, indeed Smile Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 08:52 pm
They really, really did a great job on this make-a-wish!!

0 Replies