Dracula et al.

Roberta

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 08:10 am
From Nosferatu to Dracula (the original with Bela Lugosi) to the latest blood-sucking undead incarnation, movies about vampires have been a staple of the film industry.

I just watched Shadow of the Vampire, an interesting take on the making of Nosferatu--the guy playing the vampire actually was one. Willem Dafoe was perfect in the part.

Which of the myriad vampire films do you like or admire the most? And why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,305 • Replies: 13
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 08:18 am
Ah, Bram Stoker's Dracula is probably my fave. Very true to the book when it needed to be and very creepy.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 10:34 am
I Like Anne Rices-Interview with the Vampire because she made it seem like it really happened...maybe it did. LOL

Also enjoyed Salems Lot. It left you on the edge of your seat.

There are so many Dracula movies...I like them all!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 12:53 pm
I really love "Dracula 2000." It is has a very unique, and very goth take on the origins of our old friend Dracula!Dracula 2000
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 01:40 am
Jes, I agree that Bram Stoker's Dracula was fairly true to the book. But it didn't appeal to me as much as some other vampire movies.

colorbook, Interview with a Vampire was very much like a real interview in the book. I thought this was less so in the movie.

hobitbob, I missed that one. I'll have to be on the look out for it.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 01:51 am
Roberta, I read the book also. It was great to see the characters come to life in the movie. However, I do agree that the book was much better...the book is always better than the movie.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:05 pm
colorbook, Many moons ago in another forum, I started a thread entitled, "But the Book Was Better." The book usually is better.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:12 pm
My favorite is the version with Frank Langella. Late 70's, early 80's. He played the lead on Broadway and infused the role with sex. Women in the audiences squealed with delight, according to the reviews. Dracula was hot! Then they made the movie.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 02:33 am
eoe, I saw Dracula on Broadway with Frank Langella. The sexual tension was thick enough to cut with a knife. Whew. Although the movie wasn't bad, I'm glad I saw the show. Is it hot in here or is it just me?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:27 am
Oh how I envy you. I remember reading, in either Time or Newsweek, about the commotion Langella was causing on the Great White Way during the run of that show. That women were actually calling out from the audience "bite me!" What a hoot!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 12:31 pm
I saw Langella on B'way, too. He was amazing.

I also watched Shadow of the Vampire this weekend, Boida. Willem Dafoe must have had a blast playing that role. I don't think I've ever seen him play so campy a part.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 06:49 pm
Mac, was that you drooling in the seat next to me? You're right about Dafoe. I'm sure he had fun with the part. I thought he did a great job. Whoda thunk that someone could be creepier than John Malkevich. LOL?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 12:50 pm
"Shadow of the Vampire" was extremely well done and I also love the original silent "Nesferatu" it was inspired by. Coppola's "Bram Stoker's Dracula" had a lot going for it with a handsome production design, again the love/sexual tension storyline and an invigorating, classically inspired soundtrack. I found some of the performances to be stilted, almost comic book, but then "Dracula" isn't really considered a literary masterpiece -- it was the pulp fiction of its day. It's become a classic because of the filmations.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 12:53 pm
The remake of "Nosferatu" was also excellent with Klaus Kinski as the vampire -- it's subtile was "Phantom of the Night." A link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079641/combined
0 Replies