ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:10 pm
@aidan,
Thanks , Aidan. You nailed it. I do gather my wits when necessary; I've passed lots of tests, but I'm more interested in mental play
aidan

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Exactly! And I can't picture Angela Lansbury being as whimsical- if she were acting dithery - it'd be acting and it'd be dithery - your thinking has a nice whimsicality with obvious sharp edge (intelligence) to it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:19 pm
@aidan,
Re: Philis (Post 3979366)
Philis wrote:
Quote:
I didn't get the punchline of the joke?

David wrote:
Quote:
Nor did I; maybe she is hallucinating.
aidan wrote:
The punchline of the joke is that the smartest man in the world was not really that smart - he picked
up the hippie's backpack and jumped out of the plane with it thinking it was a parachute.

*sorry, I just saw that plainoldme already explained it. I thought it was clever too.
There is a confusion of jokes.
It was alleged against me (in error & in anger) that I was joking about
my never having heard of a "resale shop". I see no humor in that.
I can allow for the possibility that what I had heard of, years ago,
as a "second-hand shop" might be synonymous therewith; just shooting in the dark, here; I dunno.

David
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:22 pm
@aidan,
Sometimes, I'll grant you that.
And sometimes I'm just a fool typing..
but, hey, I'm enthusiastic.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:24 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Thanks , Aidan. You nailed it. I do gather my wits when necessary; I've passed lots of tests, but

I'm more interested in mental play
I can relate to that.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:26 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Sometimes, I'll grant you that.
And sometimes I'm just a fool typing..
but, hey, I'm enthusiastic.
That rings MY chimes!

David
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ok, kiddo.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose I should add that I disagree with you about virtually everything, David. This discussion is aside from that.
aidan

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
There is a confusion of jokes. It was alleged against me (in error & in anger) that I was joking about my never having heard of a "resale shop". I see no humor in that. I can allow for the possibility that what I had heard of, years ago, as a "second-hand shop" might be synonymous therewith; just shooting in the dark, here; I dunno. URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-3981156

It might just be confusion in terms. My mother calls all second-hand shops 'Goodwill' as in - 'Can you help me load this stuff into the car to take to 'Goodwill'? If I said 'resale shop' she probably wouldn't make the connection, having grown up and spent her life calling all of them 'Goodwill' (aside from Salvation Army shops - she'd also recognize that term).

I on the other hand say 'thrift shop' when I'm in America and have to remember to say 'charity shop' when I'm here- because even though you'd think that it'd be self-explanatory and each term would translate - people do always look sort of puzzled and say, 'Thrift shop? What's that?', when I forget and say that instead of charity shop.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-3981156
aidan

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:06 pm
@aidan,
Also - have you heard of consignment shops? They're a little more upscale...I only learned what one of those a few years ago- but it's along the same lines as a second-hand or resale shop.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:30 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I suppose I should add that I disagree with you about virtually everything, David. This discussion is aside from that.
OK
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 11:43 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Also - have you heard of consignment shops?
Maybe indirectly, kinda; e.g., I 've seen some beautifully rendered homemade guns for sale in gun stores,
(even their velvet-lined wooden boxes were handmade n polished)
which were not actually sold to the owner of the gunstore,
but rather the mdse. was given into his possession "on consignment"
meaning that if it were not sold to a retail customer,
then it 'd be returned to the gunsmith. Is that what u had in mind ?

aidan wrote:
They're a little more upscale...I only learned what one of those a few years ago- but it's along the same lines as a second-hand or resale shop.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Googled consignment shops - Los Angeles. There are tons. That is not to say they were there when you were.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:05 pm
@aidan,
I have seldom had a conversation with anyone that was linear. The more people enjoy a conversation, the more they change the subject. One word inspires a memory and off the conversation goes, careening into the next topic.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:06 pm
@aidan,
No, I'm glad you did.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 10:21 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Re: Philis (Post 3979366)
Philis wrote:
Quote:
I didn't get the punchline of the joke?

David wrote:
Quote:
Nor did I; maybe she is hallucinating.

The punchline of the joke is that the smartest man in the world
was not really that smart - he picked up the hippie's backpack
and jumped out of the plane with it thinking it was a parachute.

*sorry, I just saw that plainoldme already explained it. I thought it was clever too.
That calls into question the premise
the he was smarter than everyone else in the world.
It implies that of the remaining 6,000, 000, 000+ of us,
none of us woud have opened it to confirm what was in there,
even tho he was about to bet his life on it. Dum "joke".

David
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Three Men
  3. » Page 5
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:54:33