May I see your papers, citizen?

DrewDad

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 04:11 pm
I don't think I'll be visiting Arizona any time soon.

Not that I am in the country illegally, or have an Hispanic appearance; I just can't stand the idea of our police being used this way.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/04/23/obama.immigration/index.html?hpt=T1

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 51 • Views: 103,224 • Replies: 1,805

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 04:14 pm
@DrewDad,
With any luck, Mrs. McCain will go to the tanning salon this summer and get stopped on the way home to have her papers checked.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 04:17 pm
The disgusting part is the 'looks illegal' part. Why not just come right out and say 'if you are Hispanic, expect to be asked for your citizenship documentation at any time.'

SO UnAmerican, it's not even funny

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 05:18 pm
@DrewDad,
Just wait until the illegal imigrants realize that wearing button-down, white shirts with ties, black pants, and riding a bicyle clutching the Book of Mormon stops the police checks.
dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 05:21 pm
The identification, or singling out, the entire process was gradual, not done in just one swoop. There were a number of progressive steps over years. There wasn't just an announcement "all Jews report to the station and prepare for extermination".
maporsche

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 05:52 pm
@dadpad,
Be worried if they try to grab our guns.

At least AZ in the same week expanded gun rights.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 09:51 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Not that I am in the country illegally, or have an Hispanic appearance; I just can't stand the idea of our police being used this way.

I don't think Arizona will miss you.

How do you think the family of the Arizona rancher murdered by illegal immigrants feel the police should be used?

There is a crisis at the Southern borders of our country and it's not surprising that folks from states that don't border Mexico don't appreciate it.

Who cares what criminality is going on as long as we don't focus on Mexican looking people when the source of crime is Mexican looking people.

The Mexican criminals glorified in Narcocorridos are not gunning for gringos, they will happily kill anyone.

So no one checks your papers and you get gunned down in a narco-battle in a border town...huge moral victory!
ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

There is a crisis at the Southern borders of our country and it's not surprising that folks from states that don't border Mexico don't appreciate it.

New Mexico doesn't seem to have this problem. California had this problem until the courts overturned it (and ever since the Democrats seemed to have done quite well). Texas doesn't even have this problem.

Arizona is a uniquely backwards, bigoted state filled with gun-toting redneck birthers.

I will enjoy watching them pay through the nose in lawsuits and lost business.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:15 pm
Also, let's not forget the lesson of this all (as if we didn't already know).

Republicans hate people with brown skin.
dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:16 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Can atates in the US DO that?

Immigration stuff is federal here.
dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:16 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Be worried if they try to grab our guns.

At least AZ in the same week expanded gun rights.

Thus cementing this madness with the madness of the gun nuts. There seems to be a real connection.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:21 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Can atates in the US DO that?

Immigration stuff is federal here. Signature

We shall soon see. This will be brought to the (Federal) courts very quickly. Many of us are chomping at the bit to challenge this.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:32 pm
@kuvasz,
Yep, and those little brown name tags pinned on the left breast pocket.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:32 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

A Rasmussen poll is showing bipartisan support for the new law. Mostly Reps, yes, but more than 2/3 of Independents and a slight majority of Democrats support it.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:33 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

New Mexico doesn't seem to have this problem. California had this problem until the courts overturned it (and ever since the Democrats seemed to have done quite well). Texas doesn't even have this problem.

Arizona is a uniquely backwards, bigoted state filled with gun-toting redneck birthers.

I will enjoy watching them pay through the nose in lawsuits and lost business.

Spoken like somone who has no idea, at all, what it means to live in a border state, let alone a border town.

Mexican immigrants can't be pidgeon holed, but Americans living in Arizona can?

Do you ever think about what you are saying or is it all an ideological reflex?

0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:34 pm
@dlowan,
Immigration is under federal law here too. This is just an example of fascists pushing the envelope. What this will produce is a series of law suits. If we are lucky, Roberts will have an early heart attack before the suits reach the Supreme Court.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:35 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

This ranks up there with the most idiotic comments you've posted, and may actually climb to the top with a bullet.

Are you on a mission to convince people that you are no where near as intelligent as they might otherwise believe?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:37 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Immigration is under federal law here too. This is just an example of fascists pushing the envelope. What this will produce is a series of law suits. If we are lucky, Roberts will have an early heart attack before the suits reach the Supreme Court.

Such a violent expression!

Be careful plainolddip, you may incite your fellow a-holes to plot an assasination of our Chief Justice.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't know Finn,

The belief that Republicans hate people with brown skin is already a commonly held idea. And, Republicans are doing everything possible-- from attacking Justice Sotomayor, to passing birther bills, to racist signs at lilly white tea party rallies.

The Republicans a real image problem that they created on their own. Yes, many of us are more than happy to take advantage of it-- but it really is their own doing.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 10:42 pm
@Irishk,
Quote:
A Rasmussen poll

LOL
0 Replies