Using a juicer and juicing veggies and fruit

Amigo

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 06:23 pm
I just drank 8 carrots and a bushle of kale. I'm growing organic veggies and i'm juicing and drinking them all. I wonder what massive amounts of veggie juice will do to me?

Is Kale juice even good for you?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,724 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 06:24 pm
Here

http://www.juicingbook.com/vegetables/kale
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:36 pm
I juice mainly carrots, radishes, beets and a little broccoli and kale. I do it for specific reasons related to my health. I believe juicing should be tailored to the individual's personal needs. I also think juicing should be done daily, but that juice should not replace whole foods, since the pulp has benefits you would be missing.
Amigo

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have poor teeth and have a hard time eating fresh veggies (I need a bridge). I was wondering about what I was missing with the pulp. But for now I think it is good for me to drink veggie juice in place of eating them.

I mostley do carrots, kale and celery.

Radishes? Sounds spicey.

Do you grow anything?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:54 pm
I don't grow much. I am in the remnant of a pine forest. Not much sun or good soil.
Amigo

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 08:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
I see. It sounds nice though
0 Replies

foodielife

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 03:52 pm
I like to juice fruits and vegetables. That way I get the nutrition of both, but I mainly just taste the Fruits =)
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 04:31 pm
These are two books I bought with a juicer last year for me and BBB. I recommend both of them for recipes and learning what the various combinations of fruit and vegetable juices can do for your body:

The Juiceman's Power of Juicing: Delicious Juice Recipes for Energy, Health, Weight Loss, and Relief from Scores of Common Ailments

Juice Fasting and Detoxification: Use the Healing Power of Fresh Juice to Feel Young and Look Great : The Fastest Way to Restore Your Health
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:21 pm
@foodielife,
I agree. I always use at least one apple, even with plain carrot juice it makes it taste better.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:28 pm
i have a smoothie almost every day.

In my blender-
a handfull of spinach
A hand full of kale ( usually 2 big leaves)
2 or 3 dates
and some sprouts. Either bean or seeds
1 bananna and some water, ice or a little bit of orange juice.
Blend it, drink it. Smile

Dont worry. Its actually very good.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:58 pm
ok, seriously, I have a problem with all the noise a blender makes.

especially if I was going to crank it up first think in the morning.

(me and my noise issues....sigh)
Amigo

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:05 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

ok, seriously, I have a problem with all the noise a blender makes.

especially if I was going to crank it up first think in the morning.

(me and my noise issues....sigh)
Blender? Juice baby.....a juicer. You and your family will get deseises that insurance won't cover on purpose and they will take your house to pay for something they don't even plan to cure. You know I truth. GAURD YOUR FAMILY YOU ARE THE MOM.

Go to a co-op or a CSA and learn how to cook fresh veggi (you will have to supliment protien) food and less antibiotic, hormon meat that destroys your kids immune system and makes them develop like a factory farm cow.
Amigo

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:07 pm
GROW VEGGIES AND BUY A JUICER AND DRINK THEM. DO NOT EAT FACTORY FARM PRODUCTS

There are ways to do it cheap
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:22 pm
@Amigo,
Can you try to edit your comments a bit before you enter here? Frankly, from the example of your previous post, you sound like an overbearing ignoramus.
It's clear that you don't understand that this particular audience you attempt to advise has superior knowledge over you regarding nutrition and juicing. You ask advice as you are having trouble growing crops but then try to advise others. The same goes for the methods of how you juice.

I would find your comments insulting if I was a mother and you're telling me how to raise my child.
Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:43 pm
@Amigo,
Drink juice as fresh as possible. Ideally, this would be within 5-1o minutes of being made.

Clearly, when pulp is removed, what you're missing is the nutritional fiber content.

Incidentally, what helps to make veggie juice most useful and nutritious depends on the method used to extract the juice. The best method heats up the food the least. Many juicers accidentally heat up the food and, as such, reduce its value unnecessarily. The less heat generated, the more nutrition that's delivered.

From internationally renowned nutrition expert and best-selling author, Dr. Andrew Weil:

"... prepare your own juice. It will taste better and give you more nutrients than store-bought brands. One reason for the difference is that commercial juice is heat-treated to kill germs, making it safe for storage but altering its taste and lowering its nutritional value. Home squeezed citrus juice will retain more of the fruits inherent health benefits, such as lower levels of inflammation and heart disease. And, since it contains some of the pulp from the fruit, you also get some healthful dietary fiber. (On the other hand, juicing raw vegetables removes much of the fiber you need for intestinal health.)

You should be aware of some potential drawbacks of juicing. Home-squeezed juices tend to break down if they remain exposed to air and pathogens can grow in them just as they can in commercial juices between the time of extraction and consumption. For that reason, it's important to drink fresh juice soon after you prepare it rather than making several days' supply at once.

You should also be aware that if you drink mostly fruit juices, you might be getting more sugar and less fiber than you need. This can cause problems if you are diabetic or have weight issues. In general, I recommend against drinking fruit juice by itself. Instead, drink it along with something with extra fiber, healthy fat, or lean protein. Any of these will reduce the glycemic load, moderating the impact on blood sugar. Also consider diluting fruit juices with some purified water."
Amigo

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:53 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Can you try to edit your comments a bit before you enter here? Frankly, from the example of your previous post, you sound like an overbearing ignoramus.
It's clear that you don't understand that this particular audience you attempt to advise has superior knowledge over you regarding nutrition and juicing. You ask advice as you are having trouble growing crops but then try to advise others. The same goes for the methods of how you juice.

I would find your comments insulting if I was a mother and you're telling me how to raise my child.
Let me tell you something buddy. I will learn from you more then you will ever learn from me.I am not trying to understand you.It is your job to edit my comments and if you want to quit.... then quit. I am an idiot savant and if you listen to me you will see I am a thinker beyond yourself.

Superior knowledge Laughing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

Who did you vote for?

You earn me, I do not earn you. Ultimatley I do not want either.

What do you know about juice?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:01 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Drink juice as fresh as possible. Ideally, this would be within 5-1o minutes of being made.

Clearly, when pulp is removed, what you're missing is the nutritional fiber content.

Incidentally, what helps to make veggie juice most useful and nutritious depends on the method used to extract the juice. The best method heats up the food the least. Many juicers accidentally heat up the food and, as such, reduce its value unnecessarily. The less heat generated, the more nutrition that's delivered.

From internationally renowned nutrition expert and best-selling author, Dr. Andrew Weil:

"... prepare your own juice. It will taste better and give you more nutrients than store-bought brands. One reason for the difference is that commercial juice is heat-treated to kill germs, making it safe for storage but altering its taste and lowering its nutritional value. Home squeezed citrus juice will retain more of the fruits inherent health benefits, such as lower levels of inflammation and heart disease. And, since it contains some of the pulp from the fruit, you also get some healthful dietary fiber. (On the other hand, juicing raw vegetables removes much of the fiber you need for intestinal health.)

You should be aware of some potential drawbacks of juicing. Home-squeezed juices tend to break down if they remain exposed to air and pathogens can grow in them just as they can in commercial juices between the time of extraction and consumption. For that reason, it's important to drink fresh juice soon after you prepare it rather than making several days' supply at once.

You should also be aware that if you drink mostly fruit juices, you might be getting more sugar and less fiber than you need. This can cause problems if you are diabetic or have weight issues. In general, I recommend against drinking fruit juice by itself. Instead, drink it along with something with extra fiber, healthy fat, or lean protein. Any of these will reduce the glycemic load, moderating the impact on blood sugar. Also consider diluting fruit juices with some purified water."
I'm sorry I talked **** to you, and I want to know more juice knowledge.

I need a good new juicer to buy and I will publically retract statements with public apology. I read your whole post and am taking full heed.
Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:36 pm
@Amigo,
I'm acknowledging your last post. Thank you for explaining yourself. I find it takes a few times reading Dr. Andrew Weil's website about juicing to understand the best ways to juice and the benefits.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400198

I'm by no means a nutritional expert, but having been married to an holistic health consultant (her expertise was in holistic nutrition and macrobiotics), I lived a very healthy lifestyle in the '90s and beyond. In the 90s at age 42, I found enough energy and resiliency to run a half-marathon and several long distance (100 mi) bike rides. I didn't run these competitively -- just ran or biked at a relaxed pace, I was happy to complete them and live to move my body another day.

Consuming good nutrition (and growing my own organic veggies) helped as did getting massages and doing energy work.

No, I was not fanatical follower, either. I still ate from the 'verboten' list now and then.

I used a Champion International Juicer and still have it. Many might find this unit very large and bulky by today's standards. Jack Lalanne's company makes a good juicer that I've used as recently as last year. The important methods is that it needs to be a masticating (chewing) style of juicer. Jack LaLanne juicer is called the Power Juicer. I don't endorse necessarily either one, I've used both and they both have advantages, particularly when making the leafy greens like Kale.
Ragman

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:47 pm
@Amigo,
Furthermore, here's more info (some is repeated from prior post) regarding useful kitchen appliances for healthy nutrition:

"Citrus Juicer
If you have ever had the good fortune to drink freshly squeezed orange or grapefruit juice, you have undoubtedly been amazed at how much better it tasted than the concentrated or bottled variety. The reason is that fresh juice, unlike commercial juice products, has not been heat treated to kill pathogens that might grow in the interval between extraction and consumption.

While heat treating can help keep our store-bought juices safe, it unfortunately also destroys enzymes, lowers vitamin concentrations and alters the taste - juice becomes blandly sweet, rather than featuring a symphony of complex and subtle flavors that can come from fresh fruit, particularly organically grown fruit.

Home squeezed citrus juice may also offer a bevy of health benefits - studies have linked dietary intake of fruit juice with lower levels of inflammation, heart disease and more. And home squeezed juice tends to contain more pulp, a source of healthful dietary fiber.

Juice Extractor
Vitamins and minerals are necessary in the right amounts to support healthy immune function, and fruits and vegetables are the ideal natural sources of these vital micro-nutrients. The other healthful compounds that fruits and vegetables provide include powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents, which also have a role in modulating and enhancing immune function, and boost our natural defenses and repair mechanisms to protect DNA and cellular components from toxic insults.

To get the most from these important nutrients, I recommend a diet that includes fresh produce from all parts of the color spectrum. A juice extractor is a convenient way to increase your daily intake of fruits and vegetables and reap the benefits they provide.

Blender
A blender is one of the most essential and versatile cooking tools you can own, and no healthy kitchen should be without one. From homemade hummus and pureed soups to chopped vegetables and fruit smoothies, a blender allows you to reduce preparation time, create healthier versions of classic foods, tailor tastes to your own preference, and unleash your creative culinary skills.

Although they are a must for all types of blended beverages, blenders can also be used for less-conventional duties. I often recommend using a blender to grind flax-seed, because whole flax-seeds pass through the body undigested, whereas whirring seeds into meal as needed makes healthful components such as omega-3 fatty acids available to the body. A good blender can also grind the softer varieties of dried herbs and roots."

Personally, for my freshly ground flax-seed meal, I use a $15-$20 Kitchen Aid coffee grinder, I make just enough for 2 tbsp added in my cold cereal or oatmeal each day. However, I use a separate grinder for my coffee beans so as to avoid bitter cross-tastes on either food.

0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 10:04 pm
@Ragman,
I read all your post. I will get a good blender and a coffee grinder for flax seed.

Isn't Jack Lalanne's juicer cheap infomercial stuff. I really don't want to waste money on a bad juicer. I am serious about this, I need to give juice to the whole family including old people for ailmemnts and teens hooked on red meat and junk food.
0 Replies