Is a hell a good or bad place?

BDV

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:45 pm
Surely if the majority of people (Almost everyone, except for the few that are chosen) get banished to the fiery depths, then hell should be quite a nice place with plenty of parties, orgies, narcotics, drink and other fun things, maybe it’s the place to be as heaven seems to contain people who have to spend their day praising a mighty being with a self-confidence problem. Personally praying, praising and worshipping isn’t a thing I want to do for eternity, so is going down south actually that bad?

Also does making this post mean I’m going to the basement also? Or can I ask for forgiveness at the last moment and get a choice?

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:54 pm
If they have Lone Star Beer there, I will happily go.
BDV

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 05:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Then you just rented the room next door to me Smile
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 05:23 pm
@BDV,
It depends on if you like hot or cold. They didnt even have central heating in hell unitll the middle ages.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:02 am
I belive all the beer barrels there have holes in them and the girls don't
BDV

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 03:53 pm
@tenderfoot,
would that be heaven?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:09 pm
Am I too believe no-one at A2K has been there ? That doesnt sound right....
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 03:01 pm
The similarity between the words hell and hole is no coincidence. They both derive from the Hebrew 'sheol', which the Biblical Jews understood to be a place of unconsciousness, the common grave of mankind. No roasting, toasting, baking, or broiling.

The bad thing about hell is you can't drink beer. The good thing is you could care less.
Pemerson

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:12 pm
@neologist,
Unconsciousness, huh? Nothingness?

Scheeese, I don't think so! We probably go wherever we think we're going, and when we get there we'll be shown why we are there and will be required to review this life, make plans for improvement while waiting for the next.

Should you fall in a sheol, it is possible to work your way out. Even while alive here, there is always a way out when we mess up big.
neologist

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 11:52 pm
@Pemerson,
Regarding one's condition at death, the bible states:
(Psalm 146:3-4)" . . .  Do not put YOUR trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs.  4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; In that day his thoughts do perish. . ."

Kind of hard to work your way out of a situation when your thoughts have perished.
Ionus

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 11:57 pm
@neologist,
Psalms are not regarded as the greatest theology of the Old Testament but they are entertaining. The whole concept of Christianity is that the New Testament provides the opposite for people.
Pemerson

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 09:58 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Regarding one's condition at death, the bible states:
(Psalm 146:3-4)" . . .  Do not put YOUR trust in nobles, Nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs.  4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; In that day his thoughts do perish. . ."

Kind of hard to work your way out of a situation when your thoughts have perished.

But, you missed a little something there: It is a man's spirit that goes out of his body, and the earthling man's body that goes back to his ground.

The spirit is all-knowing and knows everything ever done or thought. The spirit will plan again, hoping not to miss the mark it will set for itself, yet again. However, spirit is willing, but flesh is weak.

We all know what we should do. Most don't want to, so forget.
neologist

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:37 pm
@Pemerson,
(Ecclesiastes 9:4-5) . . .. 5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, . . .

You also missed a point. God told Adam and Eve they would die. Nothing was said about boiling, broiling, baking, or frying
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:41 pm
@Ionus,
(2 Timothy 3:16) . . .All Scripture is inspired of God. . .

If the entire Bible is not in harmony, we have no sure basis for faith.

I've watched nominal christians waffle over the veracity of the OT for years on this board. It would be funny were it not tragic.
Ionus

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:01 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
If the entire Bible is not in harmony, we have no sure basis for faith.
If the entire Bible is not in harmony, then the weak willed will have no sure basis for faith. Those who are strong of character will still find faith.

The Bible is like a man. If you torture it enough you can make it say anything.

The Bible is part historical record and part teaching points in a lesson plan. It was never intended to be taken literally.
neologist

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:50 pm
@Ionus,
But, the Bible IS in harmony and those who waffle over it have brought about much harm
Ionus

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 07:55 pm
@neologist,
What do you understand by being in harmony ?
Pemerson

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 08:21 pm
@neologist,
For goodness sake, Neologist, we are not our bodies. We are the spirit that animates the body. When the body dies, it is gone, dead, unconscious, back to dirt. The spirit lives on. Our purpose is to connect with and live from the spirit instead of the personality. It is the spirit within us that communes with God. When Jesus meditated (in the desert and prior to crucifixion) he revived his spirit. Read the books that were not included in the Bible.

Maybe you could read a little more, the Bible has been changed many times. Apparently you are a fundamentalist. Jesus taught the people some things; he taught his disciples additional things, in secret. The world today is ready to know these things. Seek it out, everybody searches on their own, nobody is here to tell anyone else anything.
neologist

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:06 pm
@Ionus,
We could start with not in contradiction.

I know that is a big bite for the nominal christian, nibbling at waffles as they ordinarily do.
neologist

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 09:12 pm
@Pemerson,
We are souls, just as animals are souls. (Genesis 2:7)

The lie humans often translate into everlasting consciousness (non death) was first uttered by the rebel in Genesis 3:5.

Believe the lie if you wish; but when you're dead, you're dead.

That does not discount the possibility of resurrection.