Negative numbers in Excel?

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 03:08 pm
How do I turn all the numbers in one column to negative in Excel, without manually placing a negative sign before each number? It'll save me time if there was a way to do that all at once.

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 04:51 pm
@RadAndRandom,
Let's assume your positive numbers are in column A.

1) Make a new column next to it (just insert it; you're gonna delete it when you're done).

2) In column B (the one next to A), let's say you're starting with cel B2 in order to negate what's in cel A2. In cel B2, type the following formula: =-(A2)

3) Now hover your cursor over cel B2 into the lower right corner until the cursor becomes a black cross. Select with the left mouse button and pull down the length of the column. You'll have your negative numbers but you're not done yet.

4) Now select everything in column B that you want to copy over to column A. E. g. not the header cel.

5) Select and click ctrl-C on your keyboard (that's to copy). Now go to column A (in our example, your data starts at cel A2). Right-click your mouse and select Paste Special. Under the paste area, select Values. Don't select or deselect anything else. Click OK.

6) You can now delete column B.

Make sure not to forget step #5 as otherwise you'll lose your data, both positive and negative.

Oh yeah, step #7 - bask in your awesomeness.
squinney

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 06:33 pm
OMG! Now I know exactly where to go with all my Excel questions!!!

I'm usually fairly intuitive about how programs work, but this one escapes me.
0 Replies

RadAndRandom

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2010 07:13 pm
@jespah,
Oh my gooodness, thank you so much! I already manually worked my way through the column I needed to edit.. but for future reference, I now know how to do this! You are very intelligent, Jespah! Smile
jespah

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 07:29 am
@RadAndRandom,
Thank you. I've just been using the program almost every day since (eek) 1995. I still have problems with vbcode, though -- I really dislike it so don't ask me to make buttons or anything. But calculations I can do. Smile

Glad to be o' assistance.
0 Replies

Scrubble

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 03:45 pm
@jespah,
Jepah: I rarely join web sites, but I needed to thank you for this. I have been looking for this answer for many hours. I knew it would be simple as most things on Excel are, once you know the answer. I have bookmarked your site and registered as I join other commenters in feeling this will be my go to place. Thanks
0 Replies

sallymuller

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 09:11 am
@RadAndRandom,
Speaking of awesomeness, the author of this tip is iridescent, flaming awesome. Thank you so much, there are tips within this tip that will make my life so much easier. I will register with this website.
jespah

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 09:51 am
@sallymuller,
sallymuller wrote:

Speaking of awesomeness, the author of this tip is iridescent, flaming awesome. Thank you so much, there are tips within this tip that will make my life so much easier. I will register with this website.

I have never been referred to as iridescent, flaming awesome before. Thank you. i'm gonna go put that on m'resume. Smile
0 Replies

sameer1993

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 01:39 am
@jespah,
Thanks Jespah for your help :-*
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:39 am
@jespah,
Jespah,

That's not bad but there's a shorter way to do this.

- Highlight your cells
- Format them according to this picture:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5792/yuzy.jpg

It's done..
0 Replies

Bosscaterer

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 01:58 pm
@jespah,
THANK YOU!!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 02:24 pm
You're welcome and please check out Timur's tip as well. Smile
0 Replies

lchissano

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 06:42 am
How to convert to negative in filtred database (Excel)?
timur

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2016 01:08 pm
@lchissano,
Just format your result cells as follow:

- highlight the cells.
- click "number", "custom"
- put a minus sign before your number format.

Check here:

http://i66.tinypic.com/2v7tphu.jpg
0 Replies