Life's Little Annoyances

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:48 am
I have a washer and a dryer made by the same manufacturer. The washer has a buzzer which sounds when the wash is done. It is very loud, and lasts for quite a few seconds. There is no option to turn it off.

On the other hand, the dryer, has a feeble buzzer that goes on for less than a second. There is an option to turn the sound off.

Now, my question to the engineers of these machines is this: when you do a wash, and it is wet, it really does not matter if you take the clothes out immediately, or leave them in the washer for even an hour.

The dryer, however, is another story. If you leave the clothes in the dryer for any length of time, the clothes will wrinkle, and you will be left with a pile of ironing. Even though my dryer does have provision for intermittent tumbling after the clothes are dried, I still want to remove the stuff as quickly as possible.

I would like a buck for every time I did not hear the buzzer go off, was involved in something else, and left the laundry in the dryer for quite a while.

The aforementioned is an example of a little thing that really ticks me off. It is not the end of the world, but I am angered by what I consider an obvious stupidity.

What little things in life tick you off????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,000 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:00 am
@Phoenix32890,
Actually, for us, taking the wash out quickly is a good idea as the whole shebang is in the basement and can get the smell of mold if we're not careful. But that's not only if we leave it in the washer but also if we leave it in the dryer. Hmmm.

Little pull tab thingies on the top of plastic security tops to brand-new products. Oh my I do so hate those. There's never enough of a tab to grip to get it off, so it usually happens that either just the tab comes off or only a piece of the security top comes off and I end up getting out a knife to open up m'damned ketchup bottle. Gaaahhh!
sullyfish6

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:49 am
I like re-sealable bags,i.e. ones that come with shredded cheese for example. But I can never open the initial top portion. In fact, I am having more problems opening packages lately. Got in a fight with a cereal bag the other morning.
Mame

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 07:56 am
@sullyfish6,
Two things in particular come to mind: cd coverings and items that you buy that come encased in hard plastic that you have to use scissors to free.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:09 am
@jespah,
Jes- When I put my clothes in the dryer, I leave the washer top open until I take the stuff out of the dryer. I found, in earlier years, that if I closeed the washer when there still was moisture in the basket, I would get a musty smell, probably the beginning of mold.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:14 am
I hate small amounts of stuff that comes in big boxes.
Mame

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:50 am
@Phoenix32890,
I hate those metal pop tops that break off before you get the can open. And I don't like it when brand new light bulbs burn out soon after you put them in.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 11:04 am
I agree with all of the above complaints. I hate in particular the hard plastic packaging that I have to use a hacksaw to get opened.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 11:07 am
Microwave beeps at me until I remove whatever I've reheated. LOL I find myself wanting to shush it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 11:07 am
I have a big gripe about the civil engineers in the state of Florida. I am convinced that they all got their degrees in correspondence school. The signage in this state is abominable.

If you don't know an area, there is little way of telling if a highway entrance is on the right or the left. Logically, on a north south highway coming from west to east, the south entrance should be on the right, the north entrance on the left.

Everytime that I am in a new area, usually in horrible traffic, I have to stay in the middle hoping that I can figure out where the entrance is, before I pass it.

My GPS has helped immeasurably with this problem, but most people don't have GPS.

I also adore it when the arrow pointing to something is at the point of the turn, so by the time that I see it, it is too late to make the turn.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 11:25 am
@Phoenix32890,
A temporary solution to this until you have to replace the appliances, might be something like this timer. I have a similar one and find it indespensible for timing dinner, laundry, medication times for BBB, watering the yard, etc. You can wear it around your neck or stick the magnetic back to a refrigerator or file cabinet. I especially like the one I have for baking because it has a 10-minute beep and a 5 minute beep before the final buzzer goes off so I can do a preliminary check on things in the oven.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PYZlgB-FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Polder-898-90-Clock-Timer-Stopwatch/dp/B00004S4U7/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1270833356&sr=8-5

And the description:

Quote:
Hanging from a 36-inch strap, this timer provides clock, timer, and stopwatch capabilities, allowing you to keep track of culinary delights along with your 6-minute mile. It measures up to 10 hours, and you'll use it to time a Thanksgiving turkey while letting the 30-second alarm remind you when it's time to return to the kitchen. Magnetically mountable, freestanding, or hanging from the 36-inch-long chord, this timer can be placed wherever necessary. When not in use as a timer, it may be used as a convenient 24-hour clock or a stopwatch that tracks up to 23:59:59.
0 Replies