Irritating toolbar

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:01 pm
A toolbar has appeared at the top of my homepage. It has such buttons as "reader," "maps," "scholar," etc. It takes the place of what used to be a long URL bar. It is irritating, and I would like to return to the old "standard" page heading. How can I do this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,887 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Philis

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 12:25 am
@Woollcott,
Have you recently downloaded anything and forgot to click you did not want the toolbar. ON IE if you click View then toolbars, is the new toolbar listed there. Check your control panel for any new programs added. In start> all programs> then accessories> then system tools> click system restore and you can put things back to the way they were yesterday, before the irritating tool bar showed up.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 02:54 am
@Woollcott,
A real simple and fast way of dealing with it is used the restore function to go back to before the tool bar was added
Woollcott

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 04:52 pm
@BillRM,
Bill: Thanks, I'll try it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:23 pm
@Woollcott,
Don't do that just yet! What browser are you using? If it's not malware and all it may be a couple of clicks to fix and a system restore is a crazy first-line solution for that kind of problem.
BillRM

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 04:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
system restore is a crazy first-line solution for that kind of problem.

Why?

Unless you had install a lot of software during that period the only thing that would be annoying is that the system updateds would need to be redone.

And if you had a problem as a result of the restore you can alway undo it.

Seem a fast and simple and fairly safe way of dealing with the problem.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
You know Robert the more I think about it the more amused I am concerning your posting.

Yes, we can spend a few hours in the hope of finding out how to remove this tool bar or we can hit restore and have done with the problem.

Sorry but I might spend ten minutes looking at how to removed an unwelcome tool bar but beyond that I will just hit restore and then tell the system to look for any updates.

It is a safer method also as most ways for an undesire tool bar to get install in the first place is not a good sign for his system security and restore will help deal with that possible problem also.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:01 am
@BillRM,
I'm fine with the 10 minutes first Bill. I'm just advocating the ten minutes first really (in case it's just a toolbar view setting that he can change) instead of restoring his whole system as a first line of defense against what might be a View > Addressbar problem.

Thing is, I think he mentioned other problems on other threads so the restore may well be the way to go.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:07 am
@Robert Gentel,
I don't think Bill is recommending a full system restore. I think he's recommending a rollback to a restore point.
0 Replies