Fulton Mississippi: Mean kids, cowardly administrators and idiot parents.

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:27 pm
Constance McMillan wanted to take her girlfriend to the high school prom. This is a public high school, a public institution that is responsible to all of its students.

The school said first said had to hide her identity-- by not appearing with her date. Then the school decided that rather then let her be herself at the prom, they would cancel the whole thing. Of course this was accompanied by what you expect from backwards high school students, jeers and threats and general meanness.

There was a court case, in which it was decided that the school had violated her civil rights-- although the judge declined to force the school to reinstate the prom.

Guess what happened last week-- even after it was decided that this type of discrimination is illegal (not to mention backwards and unethical).

The parents-- yes the idiot parents-- conspired with their kids to throw the ultimate cruel deception. They set up two proms.

One prom was attended by Constance and a couple of kids with special needs who apparently the cool kids wanted to exclude. Then there was a "secret" prom that was attended by most of the rest of her classmates.

It is the plotting, the cruelty and the extent of this deception that is shocking-- and the fact that parents were behind this cruelty. I suppose I could have accepted it if parents kept their kids from a prom because they didn't want them associating with people they disapprove of... but host a two whole proms with the express purpose of excluding a couple of classmates?

Can you imagine plotting such a cruel trick with your kids?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 6
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:30 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Can you imagine plotting such a cruel trick with your kids?

i can't imagine going to a prom
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 04:45 pm
@ebrown p,
If it can be shown that any school officers had any knowledge of this nonsense ahead of time the school system should need to pay the young lady one hell of a lot of money.

They after all informed the court that there would be a private prom all could go to and the judge took that into account in not ordering the school prom back on.

If they knowing act in such bad faith I am sure the court system will not be happy with them.
sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:36 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

They after all informed the court that there would be a private prom all could go to and the judge took that into account in not ordering the school prom back on.

Yes, that was my first thought too.

I hadn't known about this ebrown (the two private proms), thanks for the info. Blech.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:18 pm
This is cute

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (CBS) Apparently humiliating Constance McMillen, the lesbian teen who wanted to take her girlfriend to the prom, by sending her to a decoy prom while her classmates partied elsewhere, wasn't enough for some of her fellow students. Irate over having their original prom canceled - and blaming Constance - they started a facebook page called "Constance quit yer cryin."

Another post defends the phony prom, saying the students were exercising their free expression rights and wanted a "drama-free" prom "without the main cause" of said drama. The poster also wrote that the majority of the student body felt McMillan had "thrown the school board under the bus."

The page has since been taken over by Constance's supporters, who have flooded the wall with supportive posts chastising the page's creators, and some of the early commenters.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20001910-504083.html
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 12:55 am
Wow, can you imagine how the other kids felt? I feel badly for this girl. But those other kids that were purposely ostracized haven't got the same support system and the were shunted too. It's beyond awful. I can't imagine how hurt all these kids were.
Mean indeed.
BillRM

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:05 am
@Ceili,
Talk about mean it is not wise to make a federal judge look like a fool and I can see him calling in the school board lawyers to start with and asking questions and taking names over this silliness.

0 Replies