Laptom: Dell Vostro, HP, or???

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:03 am
I'm in the market for a laptop and would like to know what people think of the HP Pavilion dv&-3165dx and the Dell Vostro 3700. Or has anyone a suggestion for some other brand/model? I need a wide screen and weight is no object since this would simply replace my current desktop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,949 • Replies: 6
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:49 am
@Tomkitten,
If it's replacing a desktop, then don't worry about screen size. Just get an external keyboard, mouse, and a monitor that you like.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:56 am
@Tomkitten,
The HP looks like a good buy to me since it reads blu-ray, has a good size HD and HDMI out. One review said only a hardcore Intel fan would find fault with it (it uses the AMD processor), and rated it a good desktop replacement. I'm on my second Toshiba (holding out for one that both reads and writes BD) ... Mr.Irish has both the HP and Dell laptops (Dell is for work) and has no complaints about either.

Good luck with your research...let us know which you decide upon.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 10:58 am
I have a very nice ViewSonic monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse. So any size laptop providing it has the software, etc that I want would do? But how could I avoid having the lid of the laptop interfering with the monitor (physically, I mean, not electronically). If I have to put it somewhere at an angle, that would negate the space-saving advantage of dispensing with the current HP tower. If that's the case, I'll have to rethink and see if the machine can be put somewhere under the desk.

BTW - is a refurbished computer as good as a new one? The Hp is listed by two sources as refurbished, but it's not clear if they are equipped with the latest software.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:16 pm
I just (2 weeks ago) bought an Asus laptop. I like it do far!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:05 pm
Can a laptop be used with the lid closed, using my current monitor, etc?
0 Replies

ajtim

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 03:50 am
@Tomkitten,
Just don't buy HP. I've had it for a while now and it started to overheat badly. I would recommend Asus, Sony VAIO, Dell, Lenovo or Apple...
0 Replies