Where Do You See Films/ Theatre, Home, etc?

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 08:14 am
Last night, after eating out, my husband and I went to the Blockbuster which is two doors down from the restaurant. We ended up buying four DVDs of previously viewed films. Blockbuster was having a sale. Two for $20-

I realized then that we have a huge number of films at home- over 1,000 on V.H.S., and an ever increasing number on DVD. In fact we hardly ever go to the movies anymore, and we never rent films.

How do you see films? Do you go to the movies, rent or buy them? If you buy them, are they VHS or DVD? Do you buy used or new?

Have you film viewing habits changed over the years? How?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,948 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 08:40 am
I chose "Other" because I rent, buy, watch on cable, and go to the movies.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 09:30 am
Other - Pay-per-view!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:10 am
When I was married to my former husband -- a charter member of the Dull Men's Club (remember the late comedian Jackie Vernon) and a liar/fraud-committer who borrowed tons of money, making 'normal' spending impossible -- every Friday, we rented a video which we watched together while I ironed (I was not allowed to be idle and the video was the spoonful of medicine that made the ironing go down). The vcr mercifully broke sometime after we separated.

I love going to the movies and prefer it to watching them at home. I do not believe in owning movies unless they are beloved. I think buying movies is just a symptom of acquisativeness. Nobody watches all those movies sufficient times to warrant taking up the space with them.

I can't afford even second runs these days but the last time I went to a first run,mass market theatre (last Christmas to see Lord of the Rings II), I was appalled by all the previews for junky mass market movies I would never see and the commercials!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 09:24 pm
We catch alot of movies nowadays at home on cable and buy dvd's of those "worthy of the library." My husband and his son go to the movies to see the action stuff but I haven't been interested in going to the movies to see anything, preferring to wait until they come out on dvd, which I then rent, view and then thank God that I didn't spend ten bucks to go see. The Banger Sisters come to mind immediately.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 09:30 pm
I used to love going to the movies. Then I seemed to sort of grow out of that - and I hated Nell so much that I couldn't face movies for nearly a decade.

I can't see the point of buying anything other than a movie I love a lot and would want to see many times. It seems like a waste of time, money and space.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 09:32 pm
Nell?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 09:35 pm
Nell. Jodie Foster/Liam Neeson. Horrible, horrible film. Did I mention it was horrible.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 09:36 pm
I watch all my movies on our satellite dish at hime and record the ones I really love.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 09:40 pm
Oh yeah. Nell.
ps-love the new avatar, ehBeth. Endora was one kick-ass dame.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 09:50 pm
I'd love to watch movies in theaters, but at about 10 bucks a ticket, I can't stomach it. . . I only go when it's a movie I dearly love (LOTR, for example).

I wind up watching most of them years later when they show up on tv.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 06:43 am
If I had my druthers, I would probably want to own 10% of the films that we have. It's my husband who likes to have movies in hand, "just in case we want to watch something". One day I am going to have a HUGE garage sale!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 10:40 am
I like to go to the movie theatre, especially to see the big spectacle films that won't be nearly as good on my TV. There was a time when I went at least once a week, but the price is getting a little prohibitive. I usually go at the discount times so tickets are around $5-$6.

I love Netflix (they mail you the DVDs and you mail them back) so I never go to Blockbuster anymore. Actually I had grown to hate Blockbuster and had switched to Hollywood before I discovered Netflix.

I don't have any premium cable channels, and the commercials and editing and bleeping drive me nuts on the other channels, so I don't watch many films on TV.

I don't buy DVDs (or books, for that matter.)
0 Replies

rambof07

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 07:12 am
@Phoenix32890,
uuuuuuuum! it is just like that . . . . . . . . !
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 07:28 am
home, since 1997 (and except for the one movie i saw that year, possibly 1989/90)
djjd62

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 07:29 am
@djjd62,
i realize this thread is 9 years old, but it was started a year before i joined the site and just now revived
ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 08:07 am
@djjd62,
It reminds me that I miss eoe.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 08:18 am
@Phoenix32890,
Last year I went on what probably was a personal record of 34 times to the movie theater.

Just canceled Netflix in order to trim the little expenses that add up during each month. Still have Amazon Prime Instant, Hulu Plus, and the library as my source for movies.

On a rare occasion, I choose to rent a $1 DVD from the Blockbuster vending machine in my nearby Duane Reade. I bet this $1 or 2 DVD rental vending machine idea would have been quite a shocker of a concept if I wrote this posted this 9 years ago when the thread was first born.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 08:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Last year I went on what probably was a personal record of 34 times to the movie theater.

Just canceled Netflix in order to trim the little expenses that add up during each month.

Going to the movies 34 times was probably much more expensive than your Netflix subscription. Add the gas, the popcorn......................... Laughing

From what I have been reading, the DVD is going the way of the eight track and the cassette tape. Apparently, it is the streaming of media into the home that is "hot" right now.

It is interesting how things have drastically changed in the last 9 years!
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 11:06 am
@Phoenix32890,
Neither gas or popcorn are in my purchasing history this past year. I'm a New Yorker and use my unlimited weekly Metrocard (subway) and I'm not that compelled to snack on popcorn while watching a movie.

Also, I already noticed my movie going has tremendously dropped this year. One, the movies haven't been as impulse worthy then last year and two, money has been tight that I have decided to cut back a bit. I expect when the bumper crop of summer films and Fall independent/foreign films come to release in the theaters, my cinema trek will return to relatively the same pace as last year.

But I do have to mention that I am addicted to seeing new movies at the movie theater. I'm a true movie junkie. And I am ultimately against bit torrenting, illegal movie streaming, and/or buying bootleg DVDs.

Oh, and I never said I was good with managing my money. Razz
0 Replies