UK Election Set For May 6th!

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:54 pm
@Izzie,
I am sure there are nuances that I can't appreciate. It seems to me that Gordon Brown's offer to resign a few days ago was perhaps triggered by an expression of no confidence from within the Labour party. They lost pretty badly at the polls and wanted his head and fresh faces at the top of the party.
A coalition between the Lib Dems and Labour would have been the more logical one, but Clegg couldn't go that route without knowing how power would be shared with Labour and a new, unknown, PM.
Or, perhaps, Clegg overplayed his hand by being so cozy in his talks with the Tories.
I think that Labour decided to clean house and give the coalition between the Conservatives and the Lib Dems time to fail.
That's the way I see it, but what do I know?
Izzie

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:55 pm
David Cameron is now the Prime Minister and has moved into No. 10. He's about to get a long distance phone call from a chap called Mr Obama!

Coalition government with the Lib Dems. Constitutionally the Lib Dems could say no - but the expectation is that this will go ahead.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 01:59 pm
i don't have a dog in this fight, but i was just asked to join this Facebook group, by a brit i follow (he runs the Scott Mills message board)

Jono invited you to join the Facebook group "I'm happy Cameron is PM... LOL jk I think he is a c*nt!".
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 02:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
A coalition between the Lib Dems and Labour would have been the more logical one,

But for the fact that most Labour ministers think that the Lib-Dems are a bunch of wankers. Which, of course, they are. The "Yellow Tories" they have been labelled already.

It sure does make anybody who voted for them look ridiculous.

But what theatre it has been all day. Our new PM was driven from the Palace to No.10 through all the traffic, stopping at traffic lights, cyclists passing up the inside and pedestrians getting in the way. Brilliant.

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 02:52 pm
@realjohnboy,
Ah, Labour still would not have had the majority of seats required even if they had a coalition with the Lib Dems - they would have had to bring in other minority parties and the general concensus was, including in the Labour party, was that the government would not be stable with so many parties joining hands.

I believe that Clegg had decided already, with the party maybe, that they would go in with the conservatives - Clegg could not work with Brown. There was not enough common ground there at all policywise. Labour are not happy bunnies at the moment as they are saying that they didn't stand a chance of getting into bed with the Lib Dems and that this could have all been planned from the get-go, and the Lib Dems backbenchers are already saying how on earth are they going to work with the Conservatives...

and so it starts

the bickering.

I reckon Cameron will give it a good go - he needs to be a little less pompous, but I did think his first Prime Ministerial speech was OK... perhaps a little obvious - the whole clench fist thing and power to the people and all that caboodle

words tho, they all talk the talk

we'll see if he can walk the walk.

ack - politicians!

Meanwhile, Mrs Brown has just had to move house, all in the space of a few hours.
spendius

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 04:36 pm
@Izzie,
I hope Izzie that you are reassured to know the President Obama has phoned our new Tosspot-in Chief that he "remains committed to the Special Relationship".
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 05:19 pm
Arrgh. I play internet Scrabble and, using the British dictionary, got matched up with a lady from Liverpool. I asked about the election. She said "Nobody gives a f*ck."
That is about the 4th time in a row I ran into that attitude. I can't say whether that says something about Brits or scrabble playing Brits.
spendius

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 05:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
Well John--the new PM got 23% of the eligible electorate to vote for him and his Eton cronies. And that was with almost the total media on his side and spending three times what Labour could spend and the money coming from a tax fiddler and purchased peer of the realm.

And Clegg-over, as his coalition partner is known, due to his admission on a radio phone-in bullshit session that he had shagged "six or seven" women, is even richer that he is.

The forms of government, as I quoted John Morley as saying earlier, are disguises to hide the "coarse supremacy of wealth".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 05:10 am
@realjohnboy,

A lot of people give a ****.

I'll lose my bus pass, now. Cap on non-EU immigration, good thing.
Francis

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 05:13 am
McT wrote:
A lot of people give a ****.

Names please..
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 05:18 am
i can hardly wait for the next Canadian election so i can stop giving a ****

given the apoplexy in the US over elections, i suggest they try the same strategy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 12 May, 2010 06:31 am
@McTag,
Quote:
I'll lose my bus pass, now

I doubt it Mac. From what I'm told the buses have few other customers during the daytime. Up here anyway. And buses are in the private sector. So if bus passes are stopped the private sector gets it in the neck and the little old ladies have to sit at home stewing and thinking up other ways of entertaining themselves none of which are as neutral as them riding around the countryside looking out of the windows and tiring themselves out so they can sleep without medications.
0 Replies