Which wood laminate flooring?

Buffalo

Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:23 pm
I want to put a wood laminate in my home.
Have you used one that you would or would not recommend?

Right now I'm considering the Sam's Club LivingFlooring - Heirloom Oak
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=391596&pid=_Froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=151396

The price is great, it looks great at the store display, it has a limited lifetime warranty, it's backed by Sam's.

fresco

Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:30 pm
@Buffalo,
Make sure you send the advertising fee to Robert ! Wink
ossobuco

Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:38 pm
@fresco,
au contraire,
I doubt he likes spam.

report this stuff when you see it.
0 Replies

roger

Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:03 pm
I think you are both being unfair. Buffalo has been a member for years, and posted on a variety of subjects. This is equivalent to someone asking clothes, furniture, or any other darn thing and posting a link to show what they are referring to.

Some people do this quite often; it doesn't make them repeat spammers. My feeling is that at least one of the tags for viral marketing should be removed.
Buffalo

Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:17 pm
Really?? I have nothing to do with any flooring company or retail store. I am looking for positive or negative feedback on any laminate flooring anyone has used so I can either check it out or avoid it. I found the one I posted and added a link to it. If that is against the rules of this forum, I won't do it anymore (but they should not allow us to add links then). My question was ligit and I am just looking for some advise ON LAMINATE FLOORS. I guess to make it fair... They also sell laminate floor at Home Depot, Lowe's, Floors & More and many other places that I'm sure are just as good as the one's sold at Sam's (but I wouldn't know for sure, hence my original question).

PS for the response on my behalf... Thanks.
boomerang

Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:25 pm
I admit I'm spoiled with hardwoods but I can't stand the sound of laminate floors. It has this weird hollow sound to me.

However, my neighbor had Pergo brand installed and she really likes it (despite the sound it makes).

0 Replies

Ceili

Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:38 pm
I'll pass on the advice I was given, make sure the planks are at least 8mm, preferably thicker. Ensure that the planks are waterproof. Other than that, Laminate won't hold up as well as wood, but if you treat it well, it should out last a good carpet. If you damage a strip, it's a real problem to replace it and if you get scratches you can order a marker to fix small repairs.
I'm not familiar with Sam's club, but I can't imagine their product is any worse than it's competitors. I guess it comes down to price and design, colour etc. Good luck.
0 Replies

fresco

Tue 6 Apr, 2010 01:20 am
@roger,
My apologies for mistaking this for an advert which was made on the basis that Buffalo was speaking in "advertese". Perhaps repetition of the word "great" contributed to that impression for me as a UK- English speaker.
Buffalo

Tue 6 Apr, 2010 05:53 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

My apologies for mistaking this for an advert which was made on the basis that Buffalo was speaking in "advertese". Perhaps repetition of the word "great" contributed to that impression for me as a UK- English speaker.

Thanks
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:19 am
@Buffalo,
We just put down laminate in our front room. (The one the girls use as their playroom.) Replaced some truly messed-up carpet.

I'm please with how it looks and feels, but it took longer to install than I anticipated. Are you planning to install it yourself, or do you plan on having the store's people do it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 6 Apr, 2010 08:22 am
@Buffalo,
The only thing I really know about laminate is that like any flooring, it's a good idea to have at least an extra 1/2 bundle at the end of the job, so you've got pieces to do repairs with.

A friend has given me some to do a section of the upstairs hallway with. Going to give it a try and see how easy/hard the installation is.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 6 Apr, 2010 08:23 am
@roger,
I tried to overtag the viral marketing tag, but there must be at least a couple on there so it's still there.
0 Replies

Buffalo

Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:04 pm
@Buffalo,
Well, it's been about a year since I made the original post and I FINALLY decided to rip up my carpet, linoleum and small patch of tile in the entry and redo it all! We still didn't know what to put down when we started ripping it up! We ended up finding a great deal on 12mm laminate wood from Lumber Liquidators for $1.99 sqr ft with backing and 30 year warranty! Here is the link if you're in the market http://www.lumberliquidators.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6582&categoryId=500&sectionId=473&subCategoryId=705 ......PS, I promise I don't work for any wood company or suggest this or any wood flooring. It's just what I FINALLY decided on and I thought I'd pass it on to the thread. It may be a bad choice, but I hope not!
dadpad

Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:11 pm
@Buffalo,
Buff is the lam actually wood? A thin section of actual wood?

Any idea what the laminate is actually glued on to?
0 Replies

Harold geronimo

Wed 4 May, 2011 08:25 am
@Buffalo,
Hello

Naturally Laminate floors have a thick pad underneath that makes feel spongy and floating. Laminate floors are available in various designs and are very easy to fix on any type of floor.

Thanks & Regards
Harold geronimo

0 Replies

Harold geronimo

Wed 10 Aug, 2011 07:53 am
Hey Friends.

Thank you for sharing your information. Really I am very appreciated here and this is the very useful information.I have laminate in two upstairs bedrooms and it looks good even though the floors are not level. I had carpet removed on my stairs and new carpet installed as I feel like the carpet and pad saved me from a bad injury when I fell going down the stairs. I tried Home Depot and Lowe for carpet and left feeling like they don't want to be bothered with small jobs as the price they gave was ridiculous.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Harold geronimo

AndrewJayden

Thu 5 Jan, 2012 12:57 am
A real wood floor is a thing of beauty and can come in many varieties, with different styles, finishes, patterns and materials. I think Oak Flooring is one of the more popular types of wood. Thanks.
0 Replies

RonnySanders

Sat 24 Mar, 2012 05:59 am
Wood flooring looks great and is durable with proper care. Hardwood and engineered wood flooring is good. Thanks!
0 Replies

ThornhillLouis

Thu 29 Mar, 2012 12:15 am
@Buffalo,
Hi Buffalo! I wouldn't use it. But I liked what Harold Geronimo said that Naturally Laminate floors have a thick pad underneath that makes feel spongy and floating. Laminate floors are available in various designs and are very easy to fix on any type of floor. Just go for it.
0 Replies

rualesbuilding

Fri 4 Jan, 2013 04:06 am
@Buffalo,
Easy to put in - Pergo says you'll be able to install three hundred sq. feet in a very weekend. Older varieties of laminate flooring needed you to attach items to every different. Newer varieties of laminate flooring have a "click-lock" style. This "click-lock" style is commonly combined with a dry glue that's already on the merchandise and needs simply a swipe of a wet (with water) sponge or fabric to active it.

Very sturdy Surface - not like wood, which may dent, laminate flooring is sort of run-proof to dents and scratches. Laminate flooring has what is known as within the business a "wear layer" that protects the photographic layer beneath. Some makers, DuPont specifically, provide terribly generous 10+ year warranties on this wear layer.

No dangerous items - not like real hardwood, that comes with several imperfect items that require to be thrown out or re-engineered, there aren't any defects in laminate flooring.

Not Real Wood -Some individuals area unit daunted by this, some are not. Technically, there's wood in laminate flooring a wood chip base layer. But, for all intents and functions, laminate flooring is not wood.

Hard below Foot - Foam carpet pad helps dampen this sense, however it's still there.

Slippery - historically, laminate flooring has been terribly slippery. additional presently, though, makers are developing slip-resistent wear layers.

I hope I have been helpful.
0 Replies