The Official a2k Virtual Red Sox Luxury Box is Now Open!

Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 09:34 am
@tsarstepan,
No one seems to want to win it. All of eastern div are so inconstant and the teams are 'blessed' with faults and/or mediocrity. They can crawl back in, but as a trend they don't seem either to be motivated - especially without Pedie in the lineup. Put Pedie back in and they got a fighting chance.

But what seems additionally worrisome is the closer role. Who will get us to the promised land? Scarlett Uehara?
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 09:45 am
@Ragman,

starting to show some signs, even without pedey.
betts, holt, and bogaerts have been hitting well, getting on base.
the big thumpers (except for napoli) are starting to thump.
buchholz has been pitching like an ace most of the year.
hopefully porcello is taking note -- he's been a huge disappointment so faah.
miley's been ok -- not great.
the masterson/kelly combo has been a bust.
eduardo rodriguez appears to be The Real Deal.
the bullpen has underperformed at times...
Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 10:15 am
@Region Philbis,
Don't mistake my critical was for dissing the team. What I look for is signs from the suits (cheering ton) to plug the gaps. They really messed up the chemistry by overpaying the thumpers and added SP Pieces. Very Un-Epstein-like.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 10:47 am
@Ragman,
Pedro on having No. 45 retired by Red Sox: 'I think it's a great honor'
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25245507/pedro-martinez-on-having-no-45-retired-by-red-sox-i-think-its-a-great-honor
Ragman

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 11:35 am
@tsarstepan,
Here's a wonderment that has me scratching my head: why is it that all of the talk about trading for Cole Hamels and/or Cueto centers around the Dodgers (to lesser degree the Rangers) but not the RS? They can pay cash...deep pockets. Leave their youthful prospects out if it.
Ragman

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 11:36 am
@tsarstepan,
Pedro... definitely should have his number retired with RS. He always made me smile..and for more than 5-7 years, there was no one better in the whole game.

"Martinez played seven of his 18 big league seasons in Boston. He went 117-37 with a 2.52 ERA (190 ERA+) and 1,683 strikeouts in 1,383 2/3 innings with the Red Sox and won the 1999 and 2000 AL Cy Young Awards.

Pedro's 1999-2000 seasons are arguably the two best pitching seasons in MLB history. The numbers are straight out of a video game: 41-10, 1.90 ERA (265 ERA+), 0.83 WHIP, 597 strikeouts in 430 1/3 innings. Incredible."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 01:04 pm
@Ragman,
Cueto with the Red Sox? That would get me interested.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 07:31 pm
@Ragman,

the sawx are stumbling and bumbling their way to being sellers -- not buyers -- at the trade deadline...
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:12 am
@Region Philbis,
Fenway fan makes absurd catch, spills none of his beer
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/2015/07/28/fenway-fan-makes-absurd-catch-spills-none-his-beer/gZAd4Se5R0J5M6k5wdu6KM/
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:32 am
You know things are bad when the Red Sox thread features updates on fans catching balls without spilling a drop Very Happy
George

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:40 am
Shane Victorino has been traded to the Angels.
And, apparently, there is crying in baseball.
Ragman

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:58 am
@George,
So there's no cryin' over the Flyin' Hawaiian?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 10:16 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

You know things are bad when the Red Sox thread features updates on fans catching balls without spilling a drop Very Happy

http://i60.tinypic.com/334olna.jpg
Tough times living in the Red Sox Nation. Tough times indeed! Sad
panzade

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 11:32 am
@tsarstepan,
Welcome to my Marlins world.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 07:45 am
@panzade,
http://i60.tinypic.com/103yijt.jpg
Quote:
About this listing

On September 2, 2015, you can be the first fan to spend a Night At the Home of the Boston Red Sox. Is staying overnight at Fenway Park a dream of yours? Tell us why. Simply enter to win by 11:59 p.m. ET on 8/20/15.

https://www.airbnb.com/night-at/fenway?partnerId=as_mlb_20150812_50688016&adbid=10153016432751766&adbpl=fb&adbpr=39399781765
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 03:57 pm

even the manager is snake-bit...
Quote:
John Farrell diagnosed with lymphoma

BOSTON -- Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell said Friday that he had a "highly curable"
form of cancer and would take a medical leave for the rest of the season to deal with lymphoma.

The 53-year-old Farrell said Boston bench coach Torey Lovullo will run the team in his absence.
Farrell said he planned on being back with the team for spring training.

Fighting back tears, Farrell said the cancer was discovered when he had hernia surgery in Detroit
earlier this week.

"I know we usually start out with the injury report. I'll start out with myself on this one. Monday's
surgery for the hernia revealed that I have lymphoma," he said before Friday night's game at Fenway
Park against Seattle.

"Thankfully it was detected in the hernia surgery. I can honestly tell you I'm extremely fortunate
that it was found. Treatment will begin in the coming days," he said.

Farrell said a mass was completely removed during the procedure and no additional surgery
was necessary. He said chemotherapy would start early next week to treat the cancer of the
lymphatic system.

"A little bit of a shocker to be told later that afternoon that this was going on. Like I said, I'm
fortunate," he said. "Stage 1. It's localized. It's highly curable. I'm extremely fortunate to not
only be with people with the Red Sox, but access to MGH (Massachusetts General Hospital) and
world class talent that can handle this."
(espn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 07:19 am

nice response by the team following Farrell's diagnosis --

15 runs on 21 hits Friday night, and 22 runs on 26 hits yesterday.

the mariners are playing the roll of Punching Bag... "king" felix looked mighty ordinary yesterday...
panzade

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 10:02 am
@Region Philbis,
true on all counts
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 02:05 pm
@panzade,
I must start off by saying that I'm a fan since 1967. I'm not special in any way because of that -- just another idiot, I guess.

I really was amazed and pleased at the sudden massive offense and their emotional response. I feel their humanity for the first time ... ...of the veterans for their coach as well as the rest of the team. I thought these guys weren't particularly lovable due to getting fat salaries and providing no intensity, drive and heart. These guys got big hearts. I feel much better about being a fan now.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 02:35 pm
Super Bowl XLIX
Boston 28 Seattle 24