As It Happens' Barbara Budd to leave CBC

djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:32 pm
Last Updated: Monday, March 29, 2010 | 10:46 PM ET Comments111Recommend132
CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2010/03/29/barbara_budd.jpg
Barbara Budd, co-host of CBC Radio One's As It Happens, has announced that she will leave the CBC next month after more than 26 years with the public broadcaster.

Budd, who has been co-host of the current affairs radio program for 17 years, will hang up her headphones on April 30, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation said in a news release.

"You may not necessarily be able to own the podium, but I gotta tell you, from the bottom of my heart, it sure is thrilling to be given the use of one for 17 years," Budd told her listeners on the show.

Over the years, complete strangers have stopped her wherever she was because they recognized her voice and say, "'Well I'm so glad to finally put a face to the voice.'"

And Budd always replied, "Well I'm so glad to put a face to the ears."

After she made her announcement on the show, she asked her listeners to send her pictures of themselves so that she can continue to put a face to their ears.

Listeners can send pictures of themselves to [email protected] or Post Office Box 500, Station A, Toronto, Ont., M5W 1E6.

CBC Radio's general manager Denise Donlon said, "Barbara has made a significant contribution to a legendary CBC program and along with thanks, we offer her our very best wishes as she embarks on her next great adventures," Donlon said.

A formal search for a replacement is to begin shortly.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2010/03/29/barbara-budd-retires.html#ixzz0jgqZfJdU
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,414 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 01:51 pm
@djjd62,
I never really liked her voice. Too much "deep smoker rasp". She was starting to sound like her tobacco addiction was catching up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 03:14 pm
She's a lot of fun. I'll miss her.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 09:42 pm
Me too, some classic interviews. I actually like her voice but maybe cause I grew up with her on the radio pre-AIH too. I wonder who they'll get to replace her?
0 Replies

Etaoin

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:06 am
Please join the Facebook group below, Keep Barbara Budd on CBC's As It Happens, to show your support:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108933922469054

Don't forget to invite your Facebook friends.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:16 am
For the most part, you could not pay me to watch/listen to media produced by the CBC. It's mostly derivative, predictable, cliché pap.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 09:04 am
@djjd62,
I'm going to miss her very much. The woman has a great sense of humour - and doesn't let interviewees squirm away from her.

I noticed that they seemed to be test-driving some replacements recently - similar to when the Andy Barrie switcharoo started in Toronto. I'd be thrilled if they gave Garvia Bailey the gig. I thought she did really well during her stint on AIH - and it was great to have a younger perspective on things. C. David Johnson and the other regular temp hosts are fine, but they don't bring the same energy in that Garvia did.
0 Replies