Republicans bring the Peoples business to a halt.

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:52 pm

There is a Senate rule that all Senate business after 2:00PM requires unanimous consent. Until today, this hasn't been a problem.

Sen. McConnell wrote:
"Senator McCain's promised obstruction comes to reality just a day later. 'The Party of No' wouldn't even agree to let Senate committees meet today. Ironically, as they make false claims about transparency regarding health reform, they're shutting down a committee hearing today on transparency in government. The bottom line is that as millions of Americans are learning about the immediate benefits of health reform, Republicans are throwing a temper tantrum and grinding important Senate business to a halt."
[Emphasis mine]

This is unbelievable.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,168 • Replies: 11

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:22 pm
Blew up in Newt Gingrich's face when he tried bringing things to a screeching halt in whenever it was, '94 or '96. The Party of Over My Dead Body is at it again.
0 Replies

MASSAGAT

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:23 pm
How could that happen?
High Seas

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 06:07 pm
@MASSAGAT,
Hello, Mr Massagato, is that truly you? Glad to see you, I am the lady formerly known to you as Helen of Troy (HofT), and I never forgot your gracious verses about the towers of Ilium - how have you been?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 06:11 pm
@High Seas,
Laughing how unsurprising

Cycloptichorn
High Seas

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 06:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You know the poem, of course, by Marlowe - Massagato was kind enough to post it (when I still had my former name) on several occasions.
Quote:
Was this the face that launch'd a thousand ships,
And burnt the topless towers of Ilium?
Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss.
Her lips suck forth my soul: see where it flies!
Come, Helen, come, give me my soul again.
Here will I dwell, for heaven is in these lips,
And all is dross that is not Helena.
I will be Paris, and for love of thee,
Instead of Troy, shall Wittenberg be sack'd;
And I will combat with weak Menelaus,
And wear thy colours on my plumed crest;
Yea, I will wound Achilles in the heel,
And then return to Helen for a kiss.
O, thou art fairer than the evening air
Clad in the beauty of a thousand stars;
Brighter art thou than flaming Jupiter
When he appear'd to hapless Semele;
More lovely than the monarch of the sky
In wanton Arethusa's azur'd arms;
And none but thou shalt be my paramour!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 07:16 pm
@ebrown p,
Congressmen behaving badly.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 07:22 pm
@ebrown p,
I take the point, Brown, but doesn't this seem like an opportunity to clean up a few Senate rules that have outlived their usefulness?
rabel22

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 02:38 pm
When was the last time the senate cleaned up anything but thier behinds. They all want these little tricks so they can get paper time and impress thier constituants.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 09:06 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I take the point, Brown, but doesn't this seem like an opportunity to clean up a few Senate rules that have outlived their usefulness?

It takes 67 votes to change the rules in the Senate in the middle of a cycle - and I think you know that means that the rules just aren't going to be changed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 09:45 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I'm thinking that the House of Lords created "rules" specifically for the benefit of all members of said house, to me it looks like the intention of the "rules" is to give the public the image that members of the House (Senate) are doing the work of the "people" when in fact they are exhibiting protocols of "busyness"
0 Replies

MASSAGAT

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 07:54 pm
@High Seas,
Yes, I remember. Your knowledge of the poem, your graciousness and your writing style leads me to the unalterable conclusion that you must be a very beautiful and intelligent lady--But you have shown that many times in the past!
0 Replies