Silverlight/npctrl.dll

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 04:53 pm
Lately, many of the websites that I visit have been nagging me to install npctrl.dll. Apparently, this is part of something called, "Silverlight" which is created by Microsoft.

I have been reluctant to install this add-on because I have heard that people have been having problems with this gizmo, even having problems with their computers crashing. The difficulty is that more and more sites are asking me to install this add-on.

Anybody have any information about npctrl.dll?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 04:59 pm
@Phoenix32890,
What sites are asking for you to update the program ? I was under the assumption that Silverlight was a failure for Microsoft as no site I know is sticking with it. Even Netflix doesn't use it anymore for they're online streaming of movies.

Silverlight was supposed to be Microsoft's answer to Adobe's Flash.
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 05:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
I would say that practically on every other site that I visit, I get that nagging notice that they want me to add npctrl.dll. I don't want to, but I am getting annoyed with the nagging.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:52 pm
Doesn't anyone else have any information and or experience about this add-on?
0 Replies

timheuer

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:36 pm
@tsarstepan: actually that's not correct. Netflix continues to use Silverlight for online PC/Mac video streaming and in fact just enabled HD via this method.

Others -- if you have questions, feel free to ask me, I work on the Silverlight team. It sounds like if you are seeing the npctrl.dll I'm guessing this is in Internet Explorer's 'yellow bar' in the browser? If so, that tells me that you already have Silverlight installed most likely, but your security settings are set pretty high for Internet plugins. If you don't think they are, you can "reset" Internet Explorer via Tools (Menu)...Internet Options and choose the Advanced tab where you will see a reset button. This will reset to basic (but still secure) settings and likely fix your problem.

If it doesn't, feel free to email me [email protected].
roger

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 11:29 pm
@timheuer,
Interesting, Tim. Glad you dropped in.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 08:13 am
@timheuer,
It seems that more and more sites are asking me to install the plug-in. I am pleased with your answer, and will consider adding it.

Quote:
I'm guessing this is in Internet Explorer's 'yellow bar' in the browser?

Exactly. The thing that threw me was that I was being asked by reputable websites, and yet, when I researched it, it seemed that a lot of people
were having trouble with it.
Irishk

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 10:29 am
@Phoenix32890,
I used to have a similar problem in IE7 in that I'd frequently get a popup asking me to download ActiveX (not just a runtime control like you're getting, but the application itself). It was annoying, plus after downloading the thing, I'd get the same message the next day on multiple websites LOL.

I wasted a lot of time searching for a fix, but in the end I think what resolved it was simply installing the Windows updates (I'm running Windows Vista and have my settings to notify me of updates and then let me choose when and which ones and I'm pretty lax about keeping up).

Or...it may have resolved itself when I obtained Silverlight (automatically installed when I downloaded Netflix Streaming)...or I suppose it could have been a combination of the two. My Programs Mgr. indicates I have Silverlight 3.0 and the install date corresponds to when I signed up for Netflix streaming.

Not sure if this will help your particular issue, but here's some discussion by users with a similar problem:

Quote:
Re: IE 7 browser keeps asking me to download Silverlight 2 plugin but works in FireFox 3

I had the same problem. But later I figured out that my Silverlight application was built for Silverlight 2 Beta 2. The browser with Silverlight 2 Release installed can not run Beta 2 application and it would keep asking you for downloading a silverlight runtime. After I upgraded my development environment to Silverlight 2 and rebuilt my silverlight app, both IE 6/7 and Firefox worked fine. To double check if it is your silverlight runtime installation problem or not, you can go to www.microsoft.com/silverlight. If your browser is able to view the silverlight components on the site, your installation is fine. Hope this helps.

http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/38497/128538.aspx

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 06:35 am
Funny thing. I had never heard of Silverlight. Just now, I checked my folders, and found that I had all manner of things called, "Silverlight" on my computer. I don't remember installling it, unless it came with a Microsoft Update.
Iwillforget

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:33 am
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks for the topic. I recently had a problem with a re-direct virus and increased the security settings on everything. npctrl.dll kept pooping up and I was afraid it was another virus even tho it "said" it was from Microsoft! This reassures me that it is probably a legitimate addon but that I don't have to allow it if I don't want to since I don't use the Silverlight. Smile
0 Replies