How much can vitamin D levels fluctuate?

echi

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:43 pm
My vitamin D level was recently measured and found to be very low (8). I was surprised because I think I get enough sun exposure. So I'm wondering if I could have just had a low level at the time I was tested... like maybe I just didn't get a lot of sun the week or month before.

Is it possible that my vitamin D level could fluctuate so greatly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 5,847 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:47 pm
@echi,
I don't know, but would expect levels of an oil soluable vitamin like D to be more stable than water soluable vitamins.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2010 08:59 am
What is the testing procedure for vitamin d levels
Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:34 am
@echi,
I actually had a conversation with my dermotolgist on Vit D deficancies - and almost everyone is low on Vit D even with getting alot of sunshine (which of course he does not recommend). He recommends taking a multivitimin with Vit D.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:36 am
@Sglass,
I know they test it via a blood test.

This Vit D thing is a new concern most likely why it was just brought up - you may have always been low and not known about it. Doctors are just recently testing for this as new research has pointed out the importance of Vit D.
0 Replies

drillersmum

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 12:28 pm
@echi,
I too was recently diagnosed with Vit D deficiency hence my interest in your post. I can't imagine much fluctuations taking place over weeks. I can imagine it takes a long time for anything like that to take place, probably several months. I have to take Vitamin D capsules = 2,000IU daily to bring me back up to what I need each day. I am never out in the morning sun, which is when we get the benefits of the sun, and because I do get out for a few minutes or more of an afternoon I thought I was going okay. Apparently that wasn't the case with me. When we consider how we are advised to cover up, especially down here in Oz, to prevent melanomas and other skin cancers, we have no chance of getting sufficient Vitamin D naturally from the sun. When you were told how low your Vit D measurement was, were you prescribed a replacement supplement? You should have been.
0 Replies

baran2907

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2013 10:09 am
hello everybody,

please may you kindly review my question and help me out with your answers if you can ....

thank you
0 Replies