How/why did bread and milk become "evil" foods?

ossobuco

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm reading more, always a tacsk given somatbhing I shoud d; I'd work conseur
ossobuco

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, that was odd, I don't get how that post happened.
Even at my worst I tend to correct stuff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 07:41 pm
@ossobuco,
This is also very weird, not a full post by me.
Glennn

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, we could begin by looking at possible causes. Like, has there been any solar storm activity lately? Or, how old is your computer? Or, how much gusto do you pursue the celebration New Year's Eve with? Very Happy
ossobuco

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 08:10 pm
@Glennn,
I'm sober. My computer is an antique mac. This is not funny to me, as I struggle to keep it going.

This recent business is sudden. We'll see how this post turns out.
ossobuco

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 08:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah, it turned out ok. I should have given more examples, as there was more than the one time. The early one I showed gives an idea.

We'll see.

0 Replies

Glennn

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 08:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm sober.

That's the booze talking. Very Happy
ossobuco

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 08:41 pm
@Glennn,
Cute, but in this case, no.

I saw at least three of my posts turn into weird words. You can believe that or not, and if I weren't me, I'd agree on not.
Glennn

Thu 31 Dec, 2015 08:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
You can believe that or not,

I believe you.
tsarstepan

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 09:57 am
@Glennn,
Harrowing tale of someone who didn't eat the bread given to her at a restaurant.
chai2

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 10:36 am
@tsarstepan,
Who the hell is Gisele?
tsarstepan

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 11:17 am
@chai2,
Patriots' quqrterback Tom Brady's super model wife?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 11:36 am
Quote:
How/why did bread and milk become "evil" foods?

I suppose bread, wheat, and sugar are targets because of the obesity and diabetes epidemic in America. Twenty nine million have diabetes, and 86 million have prediabetes; they'll get it if they don't alter their diet.

ossobuco

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 12:52 pm
Hi, Coluber.

I still like bread. I learned to hate store bread of the ordinary sort, plus all the additives, and had trouble affording the good kind, as in my area, La Brea bakery bread was. I still make my own bread (thank you, Nancy Silverton, early of La Brea Bakery, now a famed restauranteur, and Carol Field, The Italian Baker). I make the sourdough starter (biga in italian) and in time stuff it in the freezer. By now it is no big deal to make bread once a month or less. It's always good or way more than good.

Milk, hated it as a kid. Had to sit at the table until I finished it. To this day, I don't just gulp down a big glass of milk. On the other hand, I got to like chocolate milk, and then liked milk in things - like milkshakes. And so on. Now I'm onto almond milk unsweetened for smoothies, and half and half and some cream to make gelato. Girl gets her calcium.

Yes, people could and/or should make wise choices re food, but a lot of what is wise changes via experts over time. Moderation is a key (to some of us). Thus I somewhat blame all the - to me - giant servings getting bigger and bigger at chain restaurants, which line our roads, at least here in the US. I have read that brain changes happen, involving binging and so on. Not to blame chain restaurants for that, but sometimes it's early eating habits.

I read in google news today that they can predict a baby becoming obese as early as four months. I've questions on that, re numbers of fat cells, but will watch and read.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 01:04 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I make the sourdough starter (biga in italian) ...
Sourdough is only used with few Italian breads, like pane di Altamura, pane di Lentini and pane nero di Castelvetrano.

Bakers (and even some breads from the bread factories) here still use their own, homemade sourdough.
But times have changed: when you got decades ago just five or six different kinds of bread at your bakery (pus the various kind of rolls), it's now at least 10 (and one of our four bakeries in the village offers additionally at least 10 different kind of rolls).

We think, bread is quite healthy with all the natural minerals, vitamins and fibres in it.
ossobuco

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 01:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Not quite so. I've a fat book on using bigas, more than a few. Yes, I've made Altamura bread, and many more. Terni bread is my present favorite. I add ground fennel seeds to it, but that's just me. It's addictive, this italian baking. Carol Field, The Italian Baker. My book opens to many pages by itself.

I agree that bread can be healthy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 01:12 pm
We have a Serbian bakery in the neighborhood, and their stuff is just wonderful. In addition to what i assume are their own national or regional foods, they seem to have a blend of Austrian, Italian and Greek food. They've enjoyed a succès fou since they opened in a former coffee shop a few years ago.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 01:19 pm
In The French Revolution, a History, by Thomas Carlyle, he states that French laborers ate four or five pounds of bread a day, which is one of the reasons that the failure of the harvest in 1788 was such a crucial event.

I could eat five pounds of bread. I'm going to need some butter, though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 01:50 pm
@coluber2001,
high glycemic indices for with white breads. Many people do not care for whole grain breads, which have much lower GI's
ossobuco

Sun 3 Apr, 2016 02:07 pm
@farmerman,
I tend to throw in some whole grain stuff as a courtesy to the gods of mirth and morbidity.
Have you ever seen me follow an exact recipe?

I did meet my waterloo with a C. Field's recipe for dark rye bread; forget the title. I don't blame her, she knows her beeswax. I did something wrong re the ingredients and ended up with a small concrete loaf. Tasted it, delicious, but I didn't want to go find my hacksaw.