How/why did bread and milk become "evil" foods?

Irishk

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:40 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
No, they did! I happened to see that, some guy who came in late ate it without realizing what it was, then was told and merrily continued to eat it, to much consternation and laughter from the staff.

Too funny!! Not sure I'd have been able to keep it down after learning what it was. There was also a really funny episode of 'Friends' that dealt with the subject.

I don't have any food allergies that I can think of (tolerate milk and wheat products just fine) and my mom swears it's because I was breast fed LOL. (I don't think she's entirely correct, but I just go with the flow). I'm using lots of coconut milk/cream products...for ice-creams and some baking. It's really convenient to keep a few cans in the pantry, and depending on the brand, you don't get an overwhelming 'coconutty' taste.
0 Replies

boomerang

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 01:43 pm
@ehBeth,
A Cuban bowl is beans (ususally black beans) (probably picked by "undocumented workers") with seasoned chicken or pork (who most likely were "factory farmed"), served with (or without) bread.
0 Replies

Irishk

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 02:04 pm
@ehBeth,
I didn't know what it was either. I pictured a round of bread, hollowed out and filled with black beans...so obviously wrong again LOL!

(Mr.Irish doesn't like beans (except green), but he frequently asks that I make this Black Bean Chocolate Cake).

0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 02:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Even with supermarket ingredients (some of which are ok, a pretty fair oregon mill company that is near where Boomerang lives has its products out to the supermarkets - but even with ordinary old supermarket ingredients - you can control what goes in your bread; and now with the no knead type recipes out there, the bit that taxes a lot of people - the kneading - is eliminated.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 02:59 pm
Unfortunately I have no food allergies whatsoever and eat practically everything, but I do look for quality products and for myself I usually buy
Pumpernickel bread or something similar, but for my daughter I found potato
bread to be a healthy choice she likes. That's mostly the key with kids, it can
be really really healthy, but if they don't like it they don't eat it.
ossobuco

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 03:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
Ja, I looked at the potato bread when I was staring at the bread section so long the other day. $4.19 a loaf. I usually buy Health Nut when I'm not at a place that sells la brea bakery bread, but the Health Nut was also pricey. It's totally weird to me that such a good/great bread company as La Brea prices their breads lower than Oroweat - I applaud La Brea for doing that. The trouble is that many/most markets don't have bread slicers for the artisan loaves. Gelson's did, back in CA, and so does Smith's in this area. Too bad Smith's is x miles away.

I figure if I only eat my own homemade bread it'll force me to parcel it out more. I already have my sandwiches usually with one piece of bread, open faced. This tends to make me use more paper towels in napkin maneuvers.
patiodog

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 05:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Mmmmm, missing the ersatz Mike's Deli in Santa Cruz, with fresh potato bread (along with four or five other varieties) baked daily. Really good bread makes a simple sandwich great...
ossobuco

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 05:19 pm
@patiodog,
Y'er talking real bread... or sort of real, eh?

Now I'll be off to look up homemade potato bread recipes..
plainoldme

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Potato flour is an excellent additive to bread as it helps the bread to remain moist. You don't make a bread wholly from potato flour but you add a little to the flour.
ossobuco

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:24 pm
@plainoldme,
Right, just like I don't add all that much buckwheat, etc. (I'll look around about potato flour, thanks for the clue.)

I have an underlying bias, in that I hate, ok, seriously don't like, routine whole wheat bread in the usual supermarket form: I do not like the taste, much less in hamburger buns (memories of a place in Hopland). If I eat whole wheat, I want the gnarliness that comes closer to the grain heart (whatever, I'm not conversant on all that).

Pouffy, gassy, whole wheat bread is an oxymoron.
boomerang

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:37 pm
Bakery bread is cheap around here, perhaps because there are so many bakeries and the bread doesn't stay fresh that long.

The only grocery withing walking distance of my house only sells meat from Carlton Farms (http://www.carltonfarms.com/about). This same store also makes and sells their own cheeses.

Tillamook cheese is a fairly local company and their stuff is available everywhere.

Just about every variety of fruit and vegetable grows in Oregon and if you don't have your own garden the farmer's markets are everywhere.

I've already mentioned Bob's Red Mill (by the way -- did you hear he retired and left the company to his employees? I think it valued at $22 million dollars.) which is near my house and available everywhere.

Perhaps I AM spoiled and that informs my food ideas.
ossobuco

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:43 pm
@boomerang,
As did I, not naming it (Red Mill which has become more distributed).

Yes, you are lucky. Not to beat a dead horse, but you could live in south LA, at least in my time, land of few if any grocery type places, never mind stores.

You can travel many miles in the U.S. without reaching good produce or other products.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:48 pm
@plainoldme,
I still have wonderful memories of a chocolate bread you made to take to the Sealpoets'. One of the most amazing things I've ever tasted - great texture and flavour.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Sun 14 Mar, 2010 09:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree.
0 Replies

High Seas

Wed 17 Mar, 2010 12:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
Most supermarket breads called "Pumpernickel" contain sugar, wheat flour, and molasses - all items deadly to diabetics (no good for the rest of us either) and never found in real Pumpernickel bread. Real Pumpernickel can be kept a long time in its original sealed package or frozen. Which reminds me of a funny little fact I came across some time ago while looking for something else, the coldest natural known object in the universe is called.... Boomerang!
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18541-what-happens-at-absolute-zero.html
http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn18541/dn18541-1_300.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Wed 17 Mar, 2010 12:47 pm
@High Seas,
Actually, there's not a grain of wheat flour in pumpernickel nor sugar or molasses: just rye, water and a bit of salt.
Tai Chi

Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
But High Seas isn't talking about real pumpernickel Walter. She's referring to that imposter North American supermarket bakeries call pumpernickel -- it's full of molasses to make it look dark. I doubt it's any better than Wonder Bread health-wise.
roger

Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't recall whether I checked out the ingredients of pumpernickel or not. I did check out rye, potato bread, and several other items on the supermarket shelf. The first ingredient listed, in all cases, was wheat flour. Ingredients are listed in order of quantity; percentages are not given. If I think of it, I'll take a look when I'm in the store.

In any case, I don't trust any glycemic index when it comes to bread. It is swell to say that white bread is well above 100 and sourdough is way below 100, but sourdoughs and other lower glycemic breadlike products are also considerably denser than the basic Rainbow Eight Hour Loaf.
0 Replies

roger

Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:11 pm
@Tai Chi,
Ah, great minds. . . .
Tai Chi

Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:25 pm
@roger,
I recently read that about sourdough breads, Roger (lower glycemic index). Are you not convinced, or are we still talking imposter supermarket breads?