Email Question

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:24 am
This morning I sent an email to a local talk show host here in Baltimore. When he responded a few minutes later on the subject line of both messages it said [Spam]. Does anyone know what this means or how it happened? I send and receive emails from this person all the time and never had this happen! Thanks for any help!

http://i49.tinypic.com/mbrhb8.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,505 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:52 am
@Victor Murphy,
Click on the email addres full header info instead of the abbreviated header details (typical default).

1. You may find the email address might have changed somehow from what you ordinarily receive.
2. Or possibly somehow your spam-catcher built into your email service has been changed, accidentally blocking this user.
3. there's also a possibility that the email itself that they forwarded to you has a subject that has a spam link, but the actual message is not spam.

What happens if you attempt to open the email?
Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 11:08 am
@Ragman,
I opened the email and read it with no problem. I sent another message asking why it says spam in the subject line but I heard nothing yet!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:41 pm
@Victor Murphy,
A spam filter (SpamAssasin in particular works this way) tagged the email that way in order for you to be able to make your own mail rules to filter it.

Based on the various signals it uses (who sent it, where it was sent from, contents of the email) and the threshold it is set to flag email at it scored the email as likely enough to be spam to "flag" it that way.

This spam filter is likely on the mail server end, by the way, not something either of the email users is running locally.
Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks for the help!
I also posted my question on my hometown paper's message board "The Baltimore Sun" but a few people leave rude messages!
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 05:24 am
I received this a little while ago!

It's on our end. Our server and software is highly sensitive due to the numerous attempts to hack and wack.
0 Replies