Any of you Droid users want to help test the new able2know android app?

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:11 pm
Ok, here's the deal. I paid for a third party to make a simple android app for able2know, and according to them it's currently available on the android marketplace.

Thing is, as you all know android apps can mostly only be seen from an actual android handset. So I can't currently verify that the app I paid for is really there.

So if any of you have the time, please have a look and see if you can find an able2know app on the android store (the app is free, of course) and if you feel like installing it (it's just a simple reader for the able2know content) please let me know how that goes and how it works as I haven't had a chance to play with it myself.

In the future we'll probably make our own android apps for able2know, but I'm interested in feedback on the third-party product we just commissioned. If you have any feedback please post it here or message me.

Tryagain

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:24 pm
Hi Robert, I can confirm that the Able2know android app is available on the market.

However I am somewhat concerned that this application has access to the following:

network
your location network based + fine GPS location
phone calls (read phone state)
services that cost you money (directly call phone numbers)

Now it could be that it was developed in collaboration with the CIA, IRS, FBI and indeed SMERCH.

However, if you could possibly explain points 2, 3, and 4 I would be more than willing to give it a try.

Service de Documentation Extérieure et de Contre-Espionnage (SDECE).
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:45 pm
@Tryagain,
Well I don't want you trying anything that you aren't comfortable with, and while I trust the company that made it I don't know the technical details about the app (and haven't even seen it myself).

Can't you just deny any access to your phone that you are uncomfortable with? I ask because I don't have much experience with the android platform myself but on the iPhone I can just deny any app the rights to use my location etc. As far as I can tell it only really needs to be able to connect to the internet, as it's just an app to read a2k topic feeds on a mobile, so if you can just disable any access you don't want to give it should work (in theory).
Tryagain

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
O key-dokey, 10-4.
I will give it a whirl when the phone is fully charged and report back.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:56 am
This is the first review of the eagerly awaited A2K widget available on the Android platform via the Market. (Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google).

A quick search in the Application section brought up the familiar A2K 'question mark' icon, which is an exact copy of its online version and best of all; its free!

The application has yet to be reviewed in the Market, but that has not deterred over 50 downloads to date. However, the application description is somewhat lacklustre. Is it really necessary to tell the viewer that this is a 'mobile app'? In fact the whole introduction only makes sense if you already know what A2K is all about.

We (as in the team) would have preferred for it to have reached out to possible new members with the same theme as the web version...Need an answer - Ask a question - Join a community approach.

The application on test was version 1.2, and only 263kb in size. The previously asked questions about application access can be summarized as; all to do with Google targeted advertisements which place a small add across the bottom of the screen. If you disable GPS when accessing the app it still works just fine and posses no security risk.

The download takes but a second and you are presented with a standalone button in familiar A2K livery. This is where the fun starts; four or so seconds after pressing the button A2K's 'Most Recent' posts page appears, this is the Home screen. No need to open a browser, type an address or access a bookmark.

There are also tabs for: Categories/ Favorites/ and Settings, the latter allows you to login or even create an account; which is a nice touch.

A tap on Categories brings up the usual Topic choices, and one second after hitting New Posts the list opens.

We assume the Headers are cached as there is a further step to go to the actual web page via the link. However this only took three seconds and then the whole online A2K site was available.

The formatting was sharp and clear and far better than visiting the site via a browser, and way faster.

All in all a simple, effective application which makes access to A2K a breeze. It allows full site navigation with login and post - who could ask for anything more!

There is a lot to commend this fast way of getting on line for a daily A2K fix; say for instance if you were being perused by a man eating bear; one click access to the vast depository of pooled A2K wisdom may be all you require to die laughing....And did we mention its FREE!

4.5/5 stars
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:15 am
@Tryagain,
Thanks, good show!

By the way, their login system is for their own software and the favorites feature. The ads are theirs as well and pretty much only the content is ours. So while we may not like some of their features that is their take on it and we'll eventually roll our own.
Tryagain

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 09:01 am
@Robert Gentel,
Prego Roberto, capo di tutti capi.

I am just so sorry that the fearless Droid warriors must all have been having a bad hair day to refuse your clarion call even though you saved them from extinction - for shame.
Bella Dea

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:52 am
Ok, I downloaded the app. Are you happy now? Wink
0 Replies

cmacv

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 09:51 am
@Tryagain,
I didn't download the app, because in the comments section theres 1 and the words SCAM!, DON'T INSTALL are in caps. With 50 downloads and not 1 good comment, I wont be installing.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 12:55 pm
Well, it won't let me log in.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 01:33 pm
@Tryagain,
Does A2K not work on a mobile web browser?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 08:41 pm
@DrewDad,
Not as well as in a mobile app (not necessarily this one). It's not formatted very well for mobile right now and even if it were local apps have certain advantages.

We'll eventually make our own ones for the iPhone and Android platforms but this one was made by another company for us.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 08:42 pm
@Bella Dea,
The log in on the app is not for a2k, it's admittedly a bit confusing but the company that released this app has a system of saving favorite articles that you can register and log in to. So your a2k credentials won't work with it, and this is a read-only app (we'll eventually make our own one and it'll likely be much better than this one).
0 Replies