Windows 7 and NO Outlook Express

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:23 am
My question is... anyone who now uses Windows 7, do they miss Outlook Express? I have been doing some "Googling" looking for info about Windows 7 not having Outlook Express. I understand the 'pros and cons' of Microsoft's decision/reason to not include Outlook Express and am now hoping to hear back from people who are using Win7 and if they are very content with having to use other email services such as yahoo, hotmail, aol etc. I used to really like having my emails stored on my hard drive and not in the "cloud". Someone said I could still download OE but before I jump off into the deep end, I thought I should wait a while until I hear what other people are doing. I sometimes get very confused, so when I read about a suggestion to download Windows Live Mail or something like that, I got a bit rattled. Does that mean that once I "download" that program it will enable me to store my emails on my hard drive?
thanks. drillersmum.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 4,777 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 12:05 pm
@drillersmum,
To clarify:

1) Windows no longer bundles their email reader (more on what to call it later) with Windows.

2) It is, however, still a free download.

3) It is not, however, still called Outlook Express, they went with Window Mail and then Windows Live Mail.

So if you want to use a desktop email reader and you want to use Microsoft's free one (as opposed to many others that exist, such as their Outlook program or Mozilla's free Thunderbird and many others) just download and install Windows Live Mail.

And to answer your last question, yes if you use a local email client it means you will download and store emails on your hard drive. And to answer an earlier question about what others are doing, I prefer to do both. I want my email in the cloud and available from anywhere, but I also want it all backed up under my control.

So I personally just use desktop clients as email backup programs.
drillersmum

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:22 am
@Robert Gentel,
Is Windows Live Mail the same as or very similar to Hotmail? With my new laptop I've been forced to use Hotmail and I really miss my old MS 'My Mail' that is stored on the hard drive of my old computer. I'll never understand why it was never included with Windows 7.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 09:39 am
@drillersmum,
No, Windows Live Mail is the same or very similar to Outlook Express.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:29 pm
I use outlook with Win 7.
I used to have Outlook express and It took a very determined effort to accept Outlook but that was only because I was so used to OE. once you get the hang of where things are in Outlook its OK
DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:30 pm
@dadpad,
Sure, but Outlook is not a free product.
0 Replies

Dwyckoff

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 04:15 pm
Why is everyone so wishy washy about answering the question of Outlook Express and using it on Windows ?? You all start out saying that it is possiable and then say that we have to use Windows Live - why miss lead us from the start = Windows Live and Outloox Express are not the same nor are they nearly the same !! A pack of LIES !! Just say it can't be done and be done with it !!! [email protected]
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 01:23 pm
I think you're conflating Windows Live (which is an online service) with Windows Live Mail (which is a E-mail client that you install on your PC).

Outlook Express is still available from places like Tucows, however.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 02:30 pm
@drillersmum,
The Windows Mail program I use in W7 (I think it came with my version) is so similar to OE that it is not worth the trouble of looking elsewhere.
0 Replies

jor2

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 11:34 am
@Robert Gentel,
i defiately miss it.. i hate this livemail thing it only works sometimes , missed an email yesterday that wasc sent at 10 am never got it till i went to my xp at 6pm.. looks weird no matter how i try to set it up.. i was going to try the sample microsoft office 2007 on the computer but read on that there is all kinds of hassel if you up grade to pay version after the 60 days.. need to completely uninstall it and there are all kinds of fixes on the microsoft sites.. i am not happy with win7 at all.. its also it has a tribyte drive and much slower than my little old very full xp..
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 11:14 am
I'm having trouble setting up Windows Live Mail to replace Outlook Express. Every time I fill out the box below It comes right back to me over and over. I know that I am entering the right information. Any ideas on what might be wrong? Thanks!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JoeNagle/Project1-1.jpg
0 Replies