No place like home

mac11

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:05 pm
I've contemplated home-ownership for years, and got serious about finding a townhouse last month. I had no idea that house hunting could take over my life this way. It's definitely eaten into my a2k time, as well as every other part of my life.

After a few misadventures, I've got a signed contract in hand tonite. Yay! It's for a 2 BR, 1 1/2 bath 1200 sf townhouse that's a mile from work. (Fairly unusual in Houston, where people routinely commute 30 miles or more.) I'm relieved to have made it this far, but I know there are a few more hurdles to jump.

I'm sure I'll have some questions in future. In the meantime, feel free to share happy tales or horror stories of your real estate adventures. I'm a newbie, so be gentle. Very Happy

ossobuco

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:13 pm
@mac11,
I'll just reply as happy.
mac11

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks osso.
ossobuco

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:41 pm
@mac11,
I'm all for your effort here. Will post if useful, and maybe sometimes not.

Will try to give you a clue re when I am just talking, yammer, yammer, or have serious advice.

0 Replies

msolga

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:46 pm
@mac11,
Quote:
I had no idea that house hunting could take over my life this way.

This is just the start of it all, you know, mac. It will now take over your life! Wink

Quote:
After a few misadventures, I've got a signed contract in hand tonite. Yay! It's for a 2 BR, 1 1/2 bath 1200 sf townhouse that's a mile from work. (Fairly unusual in Houston, where people routinely commute 30 miles or more.) I'm relieved to have made it this far, but I know there are a few more hurdles to jump.

But it's so exciting!
Congratulations & do keep us posted. Smile
farmerman

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:54 pm
@msolga,
Every project that involves sprucing up your den will be like having a new kid.
msolga

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:57 pm
@farmerman,
It is! (Though I know nothing about this kid side of things, farmer.)

But a new home, especially a first one, I imagine it's rather like giving birth to quintuplets! Wink

So exciting!
farmerman

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:01 pm
@msolga,
takes about as much out of yoyr life expectancy also. (wait, thats not a benefit is it?)
msolga

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:06 pm
@farmerman,
Nope.

But perhaps we shouldn't be telling mac this? This is her big moment!

She'll find out about the rest later later on. And will be posting to the "grit & grimace thread, no doubt!

(Kidding, just kidding mac. Smile )
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:46 pm
@mac11,
Yay for you!!!

Enjoy!
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Every project that involves sprucing up your den will be like having a new kid.

That is SO true!
0 Replies

Roberta

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:17 am
Congrats on the home ownership, mac. I'm sending you virtual sugar, bread, and salt. A tradition in my family.
Region Philbis

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:17 am

congrats, mac!

it'll be a lot of work, but it'll be soooo worth it...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:08 am
So close to work? Hmmm. Seems like a transparent effort to put yourself in the position to get a couple of miles of walking in everyday.

Joe(veeerrrry interrresttinng)Nation

PS: You are buying in at about the perfect moment.
0 Replies

dlowan

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:37 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Congrats on the home ownership, mac. I'm sending you virtual sugar, bread, and salt. A tradition in my family.

It's bread, salt and oil here...for anyone who still knows the tradition.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:48 am
@mac11,
I well remember the excitement of taking possession. We stripped to our skivvies and ran around like idiots shouting “It’s mine, it’s mine!” I still think it was one of the best things we ever did for ourselves. Congratulations, Mac!
sozobe

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:32 am
@mac11,
Yaaaayyyy!

Yes, I still have my huge house-hunting binder (about 3 inches thick), fun to go back and look at it occasionally.

So far (knock on wood) this has been our only house-buying experience. Bought this one ~6 years ago, still here.

How big is the place you're moving from? Is the new place a lot bigger? Will you need new furniture et al?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:08 am
@mac11,
Congratulations!

(ooohhh, looking forward to the decorating threads!)
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:13 am
@Joeblow,
We had a similar experience. We had moved from The World's Smallest Apartment into -- well, mac's actually been inside -- chez Philbis, which is a Victorian that is way too big for us and has a third floor that could blow off in the next hurricane and we'd still have too much space. And for the first few months, we kept running around, and every time we ran into each other, we'd yell, "I can't believe we have this much room!" and then we'd run into another room, and then back again, yell again, etc.

So, yay! And -- all together now -- we can't believe you have this much room!
farmerman

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 09:24 am
@jespah,
Imagine if ya had a barn too.
Rule:. No matter how much space you have, it will soon be not enough.
0 Replies