Cellphone on nightstand next to bed: unsafe?

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:21 am
I have a nightstand right next to the right side of my bed, and that is the side I always sleep on. The problem is that I keep my cellphone, charging, right on that nightstand. I am wondering if that is unsafe because I read somewhere that constantly keeping your cellphone in your back pocket exposes a person to harmful radiation. Does having my cellphone near my head while I sleep expose me to that as well?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 9,406 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 01:51 am
@RadAndRandom,
After many years, I'm pretty sure the jury is still debating. On general principles, I wouldn't use an elastic band to hold it to the ear all day.

Nice avatar, by the way.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:01 am
@RadAndRandom,
In the general scheme of things, given the air you breath, the pollution, the viruses, the bacteria, crazy drivers, tainted food and homicidal maniacs who spring up in various neighborhoods, etc... Cell phones are probably the least of your worries. Sleep well.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:34 am
@RadAndRandom,
I think cell phones are evil (except of course for the Motorola Droid which I love and admire). But, this is because of the adverse effects to society, most significantly the expectation that anyone I have met can demand my attention at any time of day. Regrettably, other than people who drive while using cell phones, science has found no significant health effects. even in your back pocket (although it seems that keeping a cellphone in your back pocket might not be good for your cell phone).

The fact is, you have been bombarded with "radiation" (in this case the word simply means radio waves) for every minute of your life.

There are much more pressing things to worry about... for instance, do you wear a seatbelt, exercise daily and eat green leafy vegetables?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:50 am
It's electromagnetic radiation, not to be confused with nuclear radiation.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:58 am
@RadAndRandom,
I ask this question in all kindness, are you related to Woody Allen RadAndRandom? You seem a tad bit neurotic. Wink

It's good to learn about one's personal environment and such. Quite commendable indeed. But you got to breathe once and awhile!

And I'm sorry to have not welcomed you to a2k earlier. I really love your avatar! So bloody cute it hurts to look at! http://i50.tinypic.com/35d8ars.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 09:58 am
Every new technology is accompanied by dire warnings about it's hazards.

The iron plow, decried as a possible poisoner of the earth, was not fully accepted as safe for over a hundred years.

Joe(every change is scary to some, some not so much.)Nation
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:00 am
@Joe Nation,
The iron plow? Certainly much safer then the lead plow with the cyanide laced blades! http://i45.tinypic.com/oss8qg.jpg
0 Replies

RadAndRandom

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 01:58 pm
@roger,
Roger said,
Quote:
After many years, I'm pretty sure the jury is still debating. On general principles, I wouldn't use an elastic band to hold it to the ear all day. Nice avatar, by the way.

Haha yeahh.
And thank you. I like it too. Therefore it is my avatar. Smile

Rosborn979 said,
Quote:
Cell phones are probably the least of your worries. Sleep well.

Yay. Very Happy We live in such a polluted and hamrful world that radiation next to my heard hardly even matters.Wahhooo.

Ebrown P said,
Quote:
science has found no significant health effects. even in your back pocket

Not true. I read that on the news, somewhere. I will try to dig up that article for you if I still can.

Quote:
you have been bombarded with "radiation" (in this case the word simply means radio waves) for every minute of your life.

Oh yeahhh. Great. We're all poisining our bodies with radiation. I think I want to move to a farm... somewhere where the Amish live, preferably. Hah. Suuure. They hide computers in their closets and cellphones in their floorboards. It's true.

Quote:
do you wear a seatbelt, exercise daily and eat green leafy vegetables?

Sometimes, no, and yes. Smile

Brandon9000 said,
Quote:
It's electromagnetic radiation, not to be confused with nuclear radiation.

But aren't both harmful, even if at different levels?

Quote:
I ask this question in all kindness, are you related to Woody Allen RadAndRandom? You seem a tad bit neurotic.
It's good to learn about one's personal environment and such. Quite commendable indeed. But you got to breathe once and awhile!
And I'm sorry to have not welcomed you to a2k earlier. I really love your avatar! So bloody cute it hurts to look at

Hahahaha. What the heckkkkkk. He's a frumpy old man & I have a better sense of humor. Smile
I do breathe! I just like to know what it is that I breathe in. Very Happy
And thank you. I like my fat dinosaur. If that's what it is. Hah.
0 Replies