Would You Temporarily Trade Souls? With whom?

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:18 pm
http://i49.tinypic.com/26ono.jpg
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1127877/
I just finished watching my favorite actor in one of my new favorite films of all time, Cold Souls.

The premise of this metamovie is that an actor named Paul Giametti played by Paul Giametti is overburdened and frustrated with his performance as the lead in Chekov's masterpiece of a play, Uncle Vanya. As advised by his agent, Paul goes off to use a new medical service that claims to remove a person's soul and placed into a storage. This soulectomy is seen as a homeopathic procedure of existential proportions.

Paul finds out that he can't live without a soul as its absence deeply effects his ability to act and his relationship with his wife. So he then proceeds to rent an illegally smuggled soul of a Russian poet. The transplant is an immediate success regarding his acting career.

I won't go into any further film details that might spoil the film, he of course then desires to return to his own soul.

The film is incredibly witty and thought provoking. Once again, Paul Giametti is ignored by the Academy in regards to his incredible and subtle performance. The best I've seen this year.

Regardless of that egregious error..., would you have your soul removed to be unburdened by its demands? Would you temporarily trade or borrow a soul from someone you admire (an actor; a poet; an artist; an intellectual; a warrior; a queen; etc...?) Who would it be? Would you keep it indefinitely or just temporary? How would you feel if someone else had your soul and was treating it better then you? Or worse then you? Or are souls things of urban and/or religious legend in your mind?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 12,378 • Replies: 16
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Sounds like a good film. I'll have to look for it.

Does the film treat "soul" synonymously with "personality"? Or does it use a different definition of soul?
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:26 pm
not sure about the soul thing, but i love giamatti, gonna have to check out the film
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:29 pm
@rosborne979,
It treats the soul like an existential organ where to keep a person alive, the process only takes out 95% of the soul and leaves 5% in order to keep the body alive. It treats the soul as some kind of spiritual processor of emotion and feelings so that without the bulk of a soul, the person doesn't have to feel anything.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:31 pm
@djjd62,
The soul extractor is a wicked cool piece of fictional technology. Here is a preproduction conceptual drawing of the machine.
http://i45.tinypic.com/1zyu5j8.jpg
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:33 pm
Man I love his work. I have been told he is my doppelganger. I have been appoarched several times by random (mostly women) people saying that I strike a resemblance to him.

As far as the borrowing of souls... I don't think so. It's like a finger print. It's uniquely mine and I wouldn't change that for the world.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
(that sounds like a very interesting film, tsar. I must check it out.)

I'm have trouble with the notion of swapping souls. That is tricky! How to confidently choose whose soul to temporarily swap with?

Now if it was about trading places with someone whose attitude to life is completely different, whose ways of processing information about the world & acting completely differently to how I do, that might be easier to come at.
msolga

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:05 pm
@msolga,
I mean to say I'm having trouble with the notion of swapping souls.

(Waking up. Morning cups of tea haven't kicked in yet. Smile )
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:37 pm
You must be kidding! I wouldn't trust anyone else with mine.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:59 pm
@Eva,
Would you like to borrow someone's soul for a day? A week?
boomerang

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:16 pm
I would toatlly do it just for kicks as long as I could get my old soul back.

I think it would be incredible to "try on" different souls.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Would you like to borrow someone's soul for a day? A week?

No.
What is that quote? "The evil that is known is preferable to the evil that is unknown"? Something like that...?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:00 pm
@Eva,
Fair enough. Smile
Pemerson

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
The soul does have its karma to meet, fulfill, and that can be a burden if one is fighting its own destiny. I know what is mine to do, but I don't always do just that. Nevertheless, I wouldn't trade my soul for another, heck no.

Sounds like a good movie, I'll also check it out.

EVA, I liked your post.
0 Replies

metalrockinfangirl

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2013 01:52 am
@rosborne979,
Of course i would am trying now with my sister
Linkat

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2013 01:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
It sounds really creepy to trade your soul.

But if I were - I'd have to pick someone that would be of the highest trust/some one very selfless and from any aspects an extremely good soul. Otherwise I'd be frightful of what sort of evil I could actually really feel deep down.

So with that thought the only person that comes to mind that seems so selfless in life is Mother Teresa (even not being Catholic) - she always seemed about the most selfless person - imagine experiencing such a good soul as that.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 02:01 pm
@metalrockinfangirl,
I wonder how I missed this important thread update:
metalrockinfangirl wrote:

Of course i would am trying now with my sister

Hmmmm! I wonder if she succeeded? Rolling Eyes Razz

0 Replies