Why do immigrants flock to Britain?

lovejoy

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 01:07 pm
We are constantly being told that immigrants are not costing this country anything, they pay their way and are an asset and don't need to claim benefits

British people who are born here and spend their entire working lives could never afford a house like this.

This woman a single parent has been given this house and $11000 a MONTH to pay the rent plus another $22000 a year in other benefits a total of around $100,000 a year, tax free of course

Add to that free health care free dentist treatment for life, free schooling for her kids

Her contributions to Britain-nothing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1250993/Single-mum-finds-mansion-net-gets-YOU-pay-7-000-month-rent.html#ixzz0fd7d7B54
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,944 • Replies: 30
No top replies

lovejoy

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 01:16 pm
I put dollars in that post it should be pounds so add 50% to those figures
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 01:59 pm
@lovejoy,
Ahh, the joys of governmental red-tape and bureaucracy. Nice to know the US isn't the only place with such rare but extravagant examples of flaws in the system.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:03 pm
“Young man, I hear you and your friends are stealing goods. But you don’t even send a dress to my house. No respect! You know I’ve got three daughters. This is my neighborhood. You and your friends should show me some respect. You should let me wet my beak a little.”
~Massimo Fanucci
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 02:23 pm
@lovejoy,
Dear LoveJoy,

Please explain why this thread isn't run of the mill, ignorant, anti-immigrant bigotry?

What evidence do you have that this lady is an immigrant? The article doesn't say she is an immigrant. In fact, it clearly states that her husband is a Solicitor-- a job that requires a decent English education at least-- and probably means they could, in fact, be British citizens.

Anti-Immigrant bigots in the U.S. often assume that anyone with brown skin is an immigrant.

Are things just the same in England?

Green Witch

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:28 pm
@lovejoy,
So how many immigrants on public assistance live this way in Britain? I assume from your concern this is a normal event and not just some rare person cheating the system. If the story is accurate, England must have a lot of mansions to house all the immigrants that flock to Britain for such a benefit deal.
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:50 pm
Of course they are not all housed in mansions the Iranian family 3 doors up from me live in the same kind of house as I do, it's a terraced house and they don't cost the taxpayer anything like the first example, their rent on a house that is worth $130,000 is only about $1200 per month, but it's still free to them.

My wife and I worked for 40 years EACH from leaving school and our pension is $18,000 PA.

This woman in the OP is entitled to a free 5 bedroomed house, there is nothing that says she can choose to live in one of the better neighborhoods of London or indeed anywhere in London, there are a great many towns in the midlands and north of England where she could live and save the taxpayer around $120,000 a year.

You can see why the British are sick of this whole immigrant nonsense

ebrown p

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:56 pm
@lovejoy,
Lovejoy,

Let me ask again... where does it say that these are not British citizens-- can a Solicitor be anything other than a British citizen?

If this were a white woman, would your feelings about her getting housing be any different?

I am sick of bigotry.
McTag

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:18 pm
@ebrown p,

Hey isn't everyone in the USA an immigrant except for Geronimo and Chief Sitting Bull?
Green Witch

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:24 pm
Lovejoy, I understand that no one wants their tax dollars abused, but this is just a single case. In America we tend to rant about "Welfare Queens"- women who have children to collect from the government and then have the nerve to drive to the supermarket in a big SUV and use food stamps while dripping in diamonds and wearing a fur coat. Personally, I have never met such a creature, but many Americans will swear they have. One may exist, so may the Loch Ness Monster, but I need more proof. If someone is abusing the system it should be stopped, but my experience has shown me that the people most likely to open up a new business are immigrants. I've also noticed they are most likely to take the crappiest jobs and work very hard at them (I know, I work in agriculture) . Most immigrants leave their home countries to endure bigotry and work long hours to make better lives for their families. I'm sure there are some bums in the crowd, but in my country, America, our whole economy was built by immigrants. When I was in England I noticed most of the restaurants and small clothing shops were owned by people who didn't appear to have any DNA belonging to William the Conqueror (not that I tested them). So unless this is a huge, common problem, I would suggest protesting against this one individual and leave the majority of the immigrants to go about trying to make a better life for themselves.
Green Witch

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:28 pm
@McTag,
Yes, and a whole bunch of the scurvy lot came over from England.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 07:26 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch,

Your Welfare Queen example is more appropriate than I think you intended. The term was popularized by Ronald Reagan as a way to get elected. The message was clear-- black people are taking money from hard earning white tax payers.

This is the reason that an article about a single mom getting a nice apartment is posted with "immigrants" in the title even though the article to indicate that she is not a citizen.

Immigrant here doesn't mean immigrant-- it means dark skinned person. And the narrative here is the same that we see in the US.

Quote:

Her contributions to Britain-nothing.

This statement, made with no knowledge of this woman's life, or work or family or social involvement... based on on nothing but the color of her skin, is the saddest example of racism I have seen in a long time.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 08:04 am
@McTag,
They're immigrants, too . . . they just showed up a lot longer ago. In fact, everyone living outside Africa has immigrants for ancestors at some point in the last million years ago.

It can all get pretty damned silly at times, too. The current residents of Greenland are supposedly aboriginals--they are descended from Thule-culture Eskimos (although it is now an offense to political rectitude to call them that). However, the Norse were living in Greenland at the time they arrived. So you have the picture of a people claiming to be aboriginal who actually drove off Europeans to take over their land. There's a wonderful, hilarious irony in it, and the current residents of Greenland get really, really pissed if anyone questions their claims about being "aboriginal." They've been there about 800 years. The last European Greenlander was found by a Dutch whaler in the 15th century.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 08:08 am
@lovejoy,
Quote:
Why do immigrants flock to Britain?

Probably to convert England to Islam. At least in most cases...
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 09:39 am
This woman is an immigrant who live in Derbyshire with her husband who contributes nothing to his 6 kids upkeep and no I can't give you a link it was on the BBC TV, and no it isn't a solitary case it is the norm, although the cost of this house obviously isn't the norm.

I find any criticism from USA citizens a bit rich, this woman lives two doors from Sir Paul Mc Cartney, how many immigrants to the USA are given free apartments valued at $5 million dollars next door to Brad Pitt.

How many immigrants are entitled to the US get free health care without paying anything?

Or are you just talking through your arses?

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 10:01 am
@lovejoy,
Quote:
This woman is an immigrant who live in Derbyshire with her husband who contributes nothing to his 6 kids upkeep and no I can't give you a link it was on the BBC TV

LoveJoy, You are full of crap.

A quick Google search shows that the woman involved, Essma Marjan, was in fact born in London. She is not an immigrant. The only reason you keep ranting about immigrants is because she has brown skin.

http://www.economicvoice.com/the-uk-benefits-system-is-broken/5006821

How is this not an example of blatant racism?

0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 10:04 am
@ebrown p,
I couldn't care less what nationality she is and I'm not racist like millions more Brits we are sick of having to fund these people, with our pension money.

Same story bit more detail but the story is provoking outrage amongst taxpayers and even politicians who are usually the last to understand anything at all.

The people of this country are trying to keep the BNP from gaining ground, and the idiot system allows this crap.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/158400/Fury-at-mum-on-%A3100%2C000-a-year-benefits/
ebrown p

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 10:15 am
@lovejoy,
Quote:
I couldn't care less what nationality she is and I'm not racist like millions more Brits we are sick of having to fund these people, with our pension money.

Bull. You put the word "immigrant" in the title of this thread and in every post you have made. This is a lie. This woman is not an immigrant. This woman's nationality is British and her country is England. She makes as much of a contribution to England as you do.

The racism is that you, seeing her brown skin, automatically labeled her an "immigrant". Then you applied all of the racist stereotypes to immigrants-- including the idea that brown skin makes you worthless to society.

Quote:
I'm not racist.... these people... our pension money

Given that this woman is a Brit, this is a very sad statement.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:00 am
@lovejoy,
lovejoy wrote:
You can see why the British are sick of this whole immigrant nonsense

I can see why she'd be sick of you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:06 am
@lovejoy,
lovejoy wrote:

if it's not about nationality, and it's not racism, what defines "these" people?
0 Replies