tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:37 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Cool beans!!

Wicked choice!! Cool
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:45 pm
I was lucky to see Linda Ronstadt live in concert. She did all of her hits. But what really impressed me was her soulful rendition of Tracy Nelson's "Down So Low":

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:46 pm
@JPB,
Not a bad instrumental version; but hardly a 'cover' of the 'song'...maybe of the 'tune'.

I don't know that I will EVER like a cover a Metallica song better than the original. I don't think such a thing is even possible.
boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:49 pm
My favorite cover ever is the Ramones singing "Needles and Pins"....

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:53 pm
@maporsche,
It's impossible to top Ennio Morricone's original brilliant act of iconic film scoring but Metallica does give it their best shot....

Metallica Ecstasy of Gold
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 09:59 pm
I really like M. Ward's reinvention of "Let's Dance" -- not sure I'd say it's better than Bowie's, just a completely different/same song.

Mr. Cash did a fine job with Cohen's "Bird on a Wire," as well. But if you're making a list of great covers, you're probably going to have a lot of songs originally performed by Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen...

Cowboy Junkies did a great "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" on the Trinity Sessions. (Good version of "Sweet Jane" on the same album...)

And I'd definitely take the Clash's versions of "Police and Thieves" and "I Fought the Law" over the originals...
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:07 pm
@patiodog,
Seu Jorge did several absolutely incredible David Bowie covers, reconfigured into Portuguese for the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou soundtrack.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=life+aquatic+soundtrack&x=0&y=0&sprefix=life+aq

My only quibble is the actual recording (on the CD) sounds like it was recorded in a dusty mop closet rather then a professional studio and it's the first and only time I ever had a complaint against the technical production of an album before.

In the movie and on this video, it sounds fine. On the CD, it sounds like crap.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:14 am
Great thread.I don't consider too many covers better or worse than the original; to me they're just different. A good example is Lion Tamer's pick of Dreams by Hatchet.

The Allman version is a grand symphonic piece with a superb vocal and sorrowful organ.The Hatchet version is powerful guitar driven Southern Rock.

I've never heard a live band play the Allman version but countless bands in this area feature the Hatchet version.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Dunno, I think Jimi Hendrix would butcher a Dylan song like Forever Young or Mr. Tambourine.

I dunno either. But I think that it would simply become a different (and possibly better) song.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:43 am
Here's some originals....which version do you like better?

dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 01:28 am
I mostly like Sarah Blaskos cover of flame trees better but sometimes my mood calls for the cold chisel classic version.

Flame trees

original by aussie pub rock band Cold Chisel

cover by sarah blasko for the (extreemly underated) film Little Fish

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:12 am

for pete's guitar solo @ 1:19...

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:56 am
Isaac Hayes stole Glen Campbells's "By The Time I Get to Phoenix". Also Burt Bacharach/Hal Davis/Dionne Warwick's "Walk On By" and "Close To You".
And it was criminal the way Luther Vandross took ownership of "A House Is Not a Home".
"Respect" was originally Otis Redding's before Aretha took it over.
Willie Nelson's "Crazy" became a Patsy Cline staple.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:01 am
The Everly Brothers released "Love Hurts" in 1960. Many have done covers of that song since then. Nazareth's version expressed the emotion behind the lyrics very well.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:05 am
@eoe,
the stranglers did a very cool version of walk on by

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:11 am
@panzade,
Janis Joplin's version of "Piece of My Heart" is one of my favorite recordings of all time. I never heard the original until you just posted it. The original is outstanding!
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:27 am
@eoe,
eoe wrote:
Isaac Hayes stole Glen Campbells's "By The Time I Get to Phoenix".

Did Glen Campbell sing about any other places?

Dennis Brown stole his "Wichita Lineman."

jespah

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:19 am
@Ticomaya,
You choose:

The cover:

The original:

To be fair, the cover seems to sample the original and has numerous visual hommages to the writer (who you should all recognize). Wink Personally, I really prefer the cover, and was surprised at who'd written it.

Oh, and at 7:17 of the MJ video, you can see his patented invention in action.
panzade

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:05 am
@wandeljw,
Thanks for commenting wand....I was afraid my examples were so ancient, nobody would recognize the cover version... Very Happy