The Microsoft Courier: Microsoft's Stunning Counterattack to the Tablet Wars

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:40 pm
http://i47.tinypic.com/23lb2m9.jpg

Quote:
Courier is a real device, and we've heard that it's in the "late prototype" stage of development. It's not a tablet, it's a booklet. The dual 7-inch (or so) screens are multitouch, and designed for writing, flicking and drawing with a stylus, in addition to fingers. They're connected by a hinge that holds a single iPhone-esque home button. Statuses, like wireless signal and battery life, are displayed along the rim of one of the screens. On the back cover is a camera, and it might charge through an inductive pad, like the Palm Touchstone charging dock for Pre.

For more on the booklet PC prototype:
http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 09:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
Looks clunky. No elegance. I don't like it. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Will it do the job of a Kindle?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:55 am
@dlowan,
It'll kick Kindle's butt. It already has a color screen.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:46 am
@tsarstepan,
and, unlike the maxipad, it can be used as a phone
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:55 am
very interesting.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:58 am
i like the concept, i don't like that it's microsoft

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 08:17 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

what he said

(and are any of these things going to come in at a netbook kinda price i.e. $100 - $250)
rosborne979

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:15 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

I don't think Microsoft understands the marketplace. Their video is selling this device to people doing business work. That market is already covered by Laptops. Maybe this device is just a new format laptop at a low price, but it's not what the great volume of people want.

What *most* people want is a simple way to waste time while sitting on the couch watching TV and avoiding commercials (which now account for more than 50% of network airtime). We also want a way to read books (kindle style) comfortably with a large enough screen (bigger than an iPod), but we don't want something clunky to do it with. (notice that I have decided to speak on everyone's behalf, some people may object to that, but I'm going for it anyway Smile ).

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict that the Microsoft Product depicted above will go nowhere, while the iPad (despite it's name) will rampage over the planet over the next 5 years resulting in a new paradigm for how most home users interact with the Internet, and generating a plethora of copycat products (just as we've seen with the iPod, which continues to drive the market). For what it's worth (ie. nothing), that's what my crystal ball says.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:23 am
@rosborne979,
I don't see how this thing is any clunkier then the Ipad when it comes to reading books.

It is interesting. The real question is - what are the specs, what OS, and what ports does it have? That's what will make or break a product like this.

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
i'd like to see more about how the screens work, are they independent of each other or used to run two parts of one application

it would be nice to be reading a book or periodical on one screen and have a browser open in the other

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

what he said

(and are any of these things going to come in at a netbook kinda price i.e. $100 - $250)

The iPad is going to range from $500 to about $700.

I expect the Courier will be about the same.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 06:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
They say it's a "real" product but none of the images and video are of a real product so it's hard to evaluate right now. A folding tablet design could work (I'm not a huge fan but you could do things like have it double as a keyboard and be a traditional netbook configuration) and Microsoft tends to compete with features instead of design so it may please a niche, but I am not betting on Microsoft in this area right now and that isn't even a real product we are looking at.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 07:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's up there with Google's proposed device - interesting, but would be better in person.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

EricTrickster

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 03:04 pm
Have most of you even bothered to watch the video? Some of your replies suggest you haven't.

I disagree with the assessment that this is a "business" device. True, the iPad is targetted at DumbAmerica - the section of consumers who want something sexy and comfortable to sit on their asses and watch videos/tv/film, listen to music and play mediocre games. A multimedia display device, and the iPad fits that niche perfectly (though it kills me to admit it.)

The Courier, by design, is targeted more at the artist/designer/writer market. It's a digital sketchpad, designed to capture images/words/ideas/art and let the user create with the device. It's the anti-iPad; rather than geared towards the multimedia VIEWER, it's meant for the multimedia CREATOR.

Honestly, all of the things I (and many others) were disappointed not to find in the iPad, are present in these concepts for the Courier. If Microsoft pulls this off and by the end of this year (this video is from last Fall), they could manage a small coup - this device is specifically designed for the multitasker, while the iPad is not. Two markets, two completely different interest groups. The Courier does, what the iPad don't. How's that for a tag line?

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 07:47 pm
New vids!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/microsofts-courier-digital-journal-exclusive-pictures-and-de/

Looks pretty ******* sweet

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 08:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That is pretty slick. I won't ever do anything like that person was doing, but it looked cool.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:12 am
It finally has arrived and it's kind of expensive ... but here is the first rendition of the Microsoft Tablet under the Toshiba brand:
http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-life/tablets/dualscreen-windows-tablet-takes-on-ipad-20100720-10iuo.html
Dual-screen Windows tablet takes on iPad
LOUISA HEARN
July 20, 2010 - 12:38PM

The video doesn't show the production model which has a physical keyboard n the back of the reversible clam shell case.
http://images.watoday.com.au/2010/07/20/1704115/Libretto_W100_Prod_Full_May10_21-200x0.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Microsoft Courier: Microsoft's Stunning Counterattack to the Tablet Wars
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:34:53