FBM

Wed 4 Feb, 2015 09:06 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I bring subject matter expertise in 3 Abrahamic religions, a few ideas and half the capital.

You bring 49% of the capital, subject matter expertise in Buddhism, some ideas, and find and manage the coders in SK, Malaysia or wherever.

Osso brings 1% of the capital and gets the job of referee in chief. Smile

The market is flooded with unemployed coders over here. We could get that done cheap compared to what it would cost over there...
Olivier5

Thu 5 Feb, 2015 07:00 am
@FBM,
Quote:
The market is flooded with unemployed coders over here. We could get that done cheap compared to what it would cost over there...

That's the idea.

Beth pointed to much competition. But this comes from actual religions who use apps as extension of their priests. We should aim for something different.

Idea 1: What's your REAL religion?
You think you're a Baptist, a Hindu or a Voodoo worshipper? Think again. Don't be religious by accident or habit. Answers 100 questions about your perception of the world and of yourself, and this app will tell you what religion you REALLY belong to, and connect you to their website.
(We could ask a penny for each faithful sent their way -- an additional revenue stream)
Thomas

Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:10 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Out of curiosity, where is "over here"?
FBM

Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:12 pm
@Thomas,
Korea. South. The good one.
FBM

Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:14 pm
@Olivier5,
I'm thinking religion-minded people are already dug in too deep into their current one. An app that suggests they jump ship probably won't make much of a splash. I'm still thinking...
Thomas

Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:42 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Korea. South. The good one.

That is new and interesting to me. Thanks!
FBM

Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:48 pm
@Thomas,
No sweat. I got here 3 months before this butt-puckering incident: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Gangneung_submarine_infiltration_incident
0 Replies

hingehead

Fri 6 Feb, 2015 05:35 am
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10958306_10152538410210836_3888640242684435062_o.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 6 Feb, 2015 06:51 am
@FBM,
If we try to compete with religions, we'll fail. We need to offer something different, funnier, more free-thinking.

Idea 2: the divination app: combines Chinese divination (i ching), the Egyptian book of the Dead, the Sybilline Oracles and Charlie Chan wisecrack to help you chose you best course of action in any circumstances.

Idea O: an A2K app. I am typing on a cell phone and it's hard to navigate the site...

Frank Apisa

Fri 6 Feb, 2015 08:35 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
If we try to compete with religions, we'll fail. We need to offer something different, funnier, more free-thinking.

I think we can compete with religions...and not fail, Olivier.

Despite what you said in your first sentence, I suspect you might feel that way also, because your second sentence seems to suggest that you might.

What we cannot offer if we expect to "win"...is atheism. That seems a sure loser, because essentially atheism is perceived as asserting there is no GOD.

I do not know there is "no GOD"...and to me, it seems illogical to suggest or assert there is no GOD. "The religious" accept the notion of a GOD (and the nature of their particular god) on faith...so to ask them essentially to accept the opposite on faith (there is no GOD) falls flat.

The "competition" with religion must come with attacking the notion of accepting either side of that coin "on faith"...which means by furthering the notion of "we do not know if there are gods or not"...which will never come, in my opinion, by using "atheism" as an identifier.

The term atheism seems to be the true impediment to a successful competition with religion.
Olivier5

Fri 6 Feb, 2015 08:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
I was talking about commercial competition for iphone and android apps, nothing ideological. This is about making dow.
Frank Apisa

Fri 6 Feb, 2015 09:05 am
@Olivier5,
Oops. My bad.

I forgot about that part of the conversation. I got out of bed late...and this was the first thing I read this morning.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:29 am
@Olivier5,
Idea 3: Prophetoon - enter the name of any of our 200 prophets on record, and watch a caricature of that prophet utter a random selection of his quotes
0 Replies

FBM

Fri 6 Feb, 2015 05:42 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Idea 2: the divination app: combines Chinese divination (i ching), the Egyptian book of the Dead, the Sybilline Oracles and Charlie Chan wisecrack to help you chose you best course of action in any circumstances.

Now we're getting warmer. Fortunetelling is BIG BUSINESS over here. We may be rolling in dough soon enough, once we get the specifics down...
Olivier5

Fri 6 Feb, 2015 06:26 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Now we're getting warmer. Fortunetelling is BIG BUSINESS over here. We may be rolling in dough soon enough, once we get the specifics down...

Design is easy, i have a pretty clear, simple, almost elegant idea of the general principle and design.

The I Ching and anything antique is in public domain. The Talmud would be cool too. Its pirkei abot can be pirated and will work well. The Sybilline Oracles and Book of Death will need to be read and pickled for wisecrack. Important to have these obscure esoteric texts in the offer, for the new age crowd. Throw in the Kabbala and the ancient Norse virtues for good measure.

Not sure if Charlie Chan is in public domain. A must, signals coolness and fun.

The tough part is to found the company. In SK I should think?

But this started as a joke. Are we still joking, or what? Cause if we're talking potentially serious business, this is perhaps not the most secure place to share ideas...
Wilso

Sat 7 Feb, 2015 03:05 pm
Purity Balls

http://youtu.be/dA-hF0yr3wg
0 Replies

usery

Sat 7 Feb, 2015 10:51 pm
@Olivier5,
It's unlucky to be superstitious in South Korea.

http://seoulistic.com/korean-culture/how-to-be-lucky-or-unlucky-in-korea/
0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 18 Feb, 2015 08:00 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-F9TAhCUAAVIDT.jpg
0 Replies

Wilso

Sat 21 Feb, 2015 06:32 am
Quote:
There are over 4200 religions, and in Christianity alone 41,000 different denominations. If you really and truly believe that you can be tortured forever for picking the wrong one, I'd be scared as **** if I were you. The odds are not in your favor.
FBM

Sat 21 Feb, 2015 06:42 am
@Wilso,
That sorta makes the putative creator look pretty sadistic to me. It's like you buy a lottery ticket and if you don't hit the thousands-to-one jackpot, you're not just out of the dollar you spent, you're condemned to an eternity of torment. **** that sort of god. Even if it existed, I'd tell it to go **** itself.
0 Replies