chai2

Thu 25 Dec, 2014 08:17 pm
@FBM,
love it.
FBM

Thu 25 Dec, 2014 08:19 pm
@chai2,
I like Lewis Black's comment that creationists watch the Flintstones as if it were a documentary. Wink
0 Replies

Wilso

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 05:51 am
And there's a new version of it every year.
http://i58.tinypic.com/oft5z7.jpg
Quehoniaomath

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 06:49 am
why the hell is it Atheism OR religion!?
George

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 07:02 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Because of the way the terms are defined for this discussion.

You'll need to define your terms.
Quehoniaomath

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 07:08 am
@George,
ok well atheis, is atheism and religion is religion.
George

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 07:10 am
@Quehoniaomath,
I try.
God knows I try.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 07:11 am
George, please don't feed the troll, this thread is trashed enough as it is. "Atheism or religion" was never the topic of this thread. Quahog is just whoring for attention.
George

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 07:14 am
@Setanta,
On the other hand, he can be a hell of straight man.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 07:15 am
Thank God . . .
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 08:00 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
George, please don't feed the troll, this thread is trashed enough as it is. "Atheism or religion" was never the topic of this thread. Quahog is just whoring for attention.

Really??? So, if I have a different opinion I am whoring for attention?

Hmmm where I come from this is called "projection, mate!!!

where does this one comes from?
0 Replies

hingehead

Thu 8 Jan, 2015 06:26 pm
Someone in twitter land bought a new copy of The Satanic Verses and transcribed Salman Rushdie's response the Charlie Hebdo killings

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B63RVmYIYAAw5Ly.jpg
Quehoniaomath

Fri 9 Jan, 2015 02:57 am
@hingehead,
it is ALL STAGED, mate!
0 Replies

FBM

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 07:14 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

And there's a new version of it every year.
http://i58.tinypic.com/oft5z7.jpg

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cutting-edge-leadership/201311/religiosity-and-intelligence-century-research

Quote:
Religiosity and Intelligence: A Century of Research
Are religious people more or less intelligent?
Published on November 8, 2013 by Ronald E. Riggio, Ph.D.

For nearly a century, psychologists have studied the relationship between religious beliefs and intelligence. A recent review and meta-analysis of research from 1928 until the present time, found 63 studies investigating this topic. The results show that religiosity has a significant negative relationship with intelligence, suggesting that stronger religious beliefs are associated with lower intelligence. While this finding is not new, there are some interesting ideas about why this relationship exists.

First, the authors discuss the idea that atheists are nonconformists, and that more intelligent people are less likely to conform. As the authors state, “if more intelligent people are less likely to conform, they also may be less likely to accept a prevailing religious dogma.”

The second possible explanation is that more intelligent persons rely more logical reasoning and empirical evidence in their belief systems. It might not be intelligence per se that leads to a lack of religious beliefs, but a cognitive style that is more critical of the prevailing religious beliefs in a community.

The third explanation offered, which is relatively new in the literature, is that religious beliefs satisfy a number of psychological “functions,” such as a sense that the world is orderly and predictable. The authors argue that intelligence confers a sense of personal control that negates the need for religious beliefs. A second function that religiosity might offer is greater ability to control impulses. Finally, religion might serve the function of enhancing self-esteem (most religions emphasize a personal relationship with god—a superior being), and religious communities offer a sense of belonging.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 07:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Eb, I'm late on this - where did you read about him? Natch, I can look him up.

Now there's a pickle, being a cultural muslim but not believing and saying so. I'm certain this happens with all religions all the time 24/7 (well, I do exaggerate), but some places are less allowing re disengagement. And some stay for social connection.
I don't know though - whole parts of countries may be fine with it, that I don't hear about.
edgarblythe

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 07:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Best you look him up. I just posted that in passing. Did not get any deeper into it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 10 Jan, 2015 07:53 pm
@hingehead,
Thank you for this link and photo, Hinge.
I've been outta here, probably thumbed the thread down in highly developed despair annoyance.

She's back.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:03 am
http://www.click2houston.com/image/view/-/30716730/medRes/2/-/maxh/360/maxw/640/-/14fhmld/-/dog-we-trust-jpg.jpg
A Florida sheriff's office is sending back some official rugs after an embarrassing typo in them put the rug company in the doghouse.

The large green rugs with the black and yellow Pinellas County Sheriff's Office logo included the phrase "In Dog We Trust" within one of its crests.

It was supposed to read "In God We Trust." A deputy standing in the lobby spotted the error on Wednesday, according to CNN affiliate WFTS.

The Sheriff's Office told WFTS that rug manufacturer, American Floor Mats, made the "In Dog We Trust" error. The company will replace them.

The sheriff's office has tucked the rugs out of sight, but pictures from the CNN affiliate clearly show the mistake.

Pinellas County includes the cities of St. Petersburg and Clearwater.
timur

Thu 15 Jan, 2015 08:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Let's give credence that Clearwater is up to revival now..
Wilso

Thu 15 Jan, 2015 04:37 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Let's give credence that Clearwater is up to revival now..

That belongs on the really, really, REALLY bad jokes thread.
0 Replies