hingehead

Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:16 pm
@timur,
Not grasping at straws at all. There are only four mentions of Muhammad in the Quran. None mention a geographical place. Muhammad called himself an apostle - he never proclaimed to be anything like the son of god.

You agree the circle would be tiny, but shyt is shyt? Hmmm interesting definition.
timur

Sun 3 Aug, 2014 01:39 pm
@hingehead,
You kidding, right?

Look up a desert of Paran or Faran in the Quran.

The circle is, based on the Quran and the Bible, inept.

Just acknowledge that..

Your point still stands..
hingehead

Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:34 pm
@timur,
Ha, I researched on Muhammad after you mentioned Mecca and Medina. Now looking up Paran it's actually mentioned in the Hebrew Bible. Arab TRADITION puts it near Mecca.

I think inept is too strong a word but fair point. I will get out photoshop and fix it.
Romeo Fabulini

Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:38 pm
The small mideast circle was like a nuclear core that powered Christianity, and its grown to become the biggest game on the park..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Religions_2012_zps1a611c24.jpg~original
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 3 Aug, 2014 02:39 pm
@hingehead,
Did you notice that Mecca seems to be located at two places?
hingehead

Sun 3 Aug, 2014 03:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Nope. Where?
cicerone imposter

Sun 3 Aug, 2014 03:27 pm
@hingehead,
My mistake. I viewed several maps of Mecca, and the larger view of Mecca seemed like it was more southward. It isn't. Sorry.
Frank Apisa

Sun 3 Aug, 2014 03:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

My mistake. I viewed several maps of Mecca, and the larger view of Mecca seemed like it was more southward. It isn't. Sorry.

Second one of these I've seen in the last week and a half, ci.

You are to be commended.

Good on you.
0 Replies

chai2

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 11:03 am
Here's a quiz to see if atheists are more knowledgeable about religion that believers are.

I'll give you one guess.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0105/Are-you-smarter-than-an-atheist-A-religious-quiz/When-does-the-Jewish-Sabbath-begin

I was embarrassed that I got 1 wrong out the the 32 questions. Seeing the answer, I was like "Duh!"
Frank Apisa

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 11:22 am
@chai2,
I got 32 correct, 0 wrong.

I did guess on one question...and got a correct guess...the question about the first Great Awakening. I had never even heard about such a thing. But the others I knew easily...and was sure of my answer.
0 Replies

MWal

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 12:33 pm
If you don't believe how do you expect to learn about something so great.
hingehead

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:11 pm
@MWal,
By not believing we have the chance to learn - too often a belief removes questions. Just ask Copernicus and Gallileo.
Setanta

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:15 pm
@MWal,
I guess it doesn't occur to you that almost all of us were raised to believe, and having learned about it, we didn't think it was so great. You really weren't thinking when you posted that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:19 pm
@hingehead,
Bad examples,
Quote:
Just ask Copernicus and Gallileo.
Religion is different by 180 degrees, because it relies on one book called the bible. People must learn to appreciate our environment from what science teaches us, and from what we observe of the many contradictions, errors, and omissions in the bible.

Religion is based on faith and emotion; science is based on observation and facts.
hingehead

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:20 pm
@chai2,
I got six wrong. But it is heavily US centric - my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

In the preamble it says it's a Pew test to determine your religious knowledge and the Christians average 16 and atheists and Jews about 21. It's not actually designed to show believers are smarter than non believers.

It is interesting, but not surprising, that adherents of one religion would not know much about other religions unless your Jewish. I wonder why that is?

The scores of Buddhists, Muslims and Hindus aren't mentioned.
Romeo Fabulini

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:32 pm
I got 27 right, 5 wrong, and some of the ones I got right were just guesses..Smile
Overall it was too easy anyway and pretty pointless
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:37 pm
Quote:
Cicerone said: Religion..relies on one book called the bible.

There are 66 separate books in the bible written by all sorts of close encounter eyewitnesses over a span of thousands of years, how would you describe it Spock?

0 Replies

chai2

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 02:10 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

In the preamble it says it's a Pew test to determine your religious knowledge and the Christians average 16 and atheists and Jews about 21. It's not actually designed to show believers are smarter than non believers.

It is interesting, but not surprising, that adherents of one religion would not know much about other religions unless your Jewish. I wonder why that is?

The scores of Buddhists, Muslims and Hindus aren't mentioned.

True, it's not designed to test for intelligence. That's just what the headline read as a draw to get you to the site. It didn't surprise me either that actual Christians wouldn't bother to learn anything about any other religion. Dismaying, but not surprising. I know people who have zero interest in learning anything that might upset the apple cart. Not just in their religious beliefs either.

If it's different, it's "weird".

Yes, from what I recall, some of the questions where geared to the US constitution and such.

heh, just remembered something.
I went 12 years to Catholic school. I remember 1 day sitting on the gym floor during some pep rally, and looking at the life size crucifix on the far wall. I remember sharing with my friend sitting next to me "Can you imagine if you were an alien and just arrived here, and was told that's a symbol of our religion?" Yikes. Talk about different and weird. "yeah, that's our God, hangin' up there bloody and nailed to a piece of wood. How did he get up there? Oh, we killed him."
Setanta

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 02:14 pm
The Norse and the Danes (before they got sucked in) referred to Jeebus as "the nailed god."
0 Replies

MWal

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 02:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
However it will be the day science studies our emotions and realizes they live by their own will. Knowledge is sentient.

As to the other atheist goons, if you do t believe in the imagination it will never come to life. If you don't believe in knowledge it will never be omniscience. If you don't believe in life it will never be eternal. I know the fruit of belief, and that belief is tested and proven.