hingehead

Tue 15 Apr, 2014 05:17 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Yeah!! For you. But I do understand. So, so much.

I have spendi on ignore - so wouldn't have seen this if you hadn't quoted - but seriously, has there ever been a bigger flag of the delusional than have to self-promote their own wisdom/knowlege?

Show don't tell.
spendius

Tue 15 Apr, 2014 05:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Actually, the Egyptians were not much into slavery. History records pretty much establish, for instance, that the pyramids were not built by slave labor, but by Egyptians who took the work on as a job.

It's easy to see that Apisa went to Sunday School.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 15 Apr, 2014 05:23 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I have spendi on ignore

I fully understand hinge's choice but it is surprising to see him announcing it what with it being so embarrassing.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 15 Apr, 2014 05:59 pm
Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Actually, the Egyptians were not much into slavery..

Oh yeah? Moses went ballistic and KILLED an Egyptian who was mistreating the Israelite slaves-
"One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. Glancing this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand" (Exodus 2:11)

Eat this Jack!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Moses-fugit_zps7d0e0ed7.jpg~original

MOSES (to Egyptian foreman) - "Hey mister, maybe you'd like to stop beating up that poor slave and try me on fer size?"
EGYPTIAN - "You talk mighty big mister, but can you walk the walk?"
MOSES - "Your move"..
Bam!....Bam!...Bam!...Bam!
EGYPTIAN (dying) "ugh..i'll get a good nights sleep tonight..."
ONLOOKER - "Hey Mose you'd better git outta town real fast, Pharoahs gonna be comin after yer fer sure"..
MOSES - "I know it old-timer, I'm a-headin fer them thar hills"
PHAROAH (on hearing the news) "Looks like we got ourselves a fugitive..Average foot speed over uneven ground, barring injury, is four miles an hour. That gives us a radius of six miles. What I want out of each and everyone of you is a hard target search of every residence, warehouse, farmhouse, hen house, outhouse and doghouse in that area.
Go get him!"
Frank Apisa

Tue 15 Apr, 2014 06:20 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa said: Actually, the Egyptians were not much into slavery..

Oh yeah? Moses went ballistic and KILLED an Egyptian who was mistreating the Israelite slaves-
"One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. Glancing this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand" (Exodus 2:11)

Eat this Jack!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Moses-fugit_zps7d0e0ed7.jpg~original

MOSES (to Egyptian foreman) - "Hey mister, maybe you'd like to stop beating up that poor slave and try me on fer size?"
EGYPTIAN - "You talk mighty big mister, but can you walk the walk?"
MOSES - "Your move"..
Bam!....Bam!...Bam!...Bam!
EGYPTIAN (dying) "ugh..i'll get a good nights sleep tonight..."
ONLOOKER - "Hey Mose you'd better git outta town real fast, Pharoahs gonna be comin after yer fer sure"..
MOSES - "I know it old-timer, I'm a-headin fer them thar hills"
PHAROAH (on hearing the news) "Looks like we got ourselves a fugitive..Average foot speed over uneven ground, barring injury, is four miles an hour. That gives us a radius of six miles. What I want out of each and everyone of you is a hard target search of every residence, warehouse, farmhouse, hen house, outhouse and doghouse in that area.
Go get him!"

I'd prefer to get my history from historians rather than from the Old Testament, Romeo.

You'd do better to do the same.
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 15 Apr, 2014 07:14 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Quote:
Yeah!! For you. But I do understand. So, so much.

I have spendi on ignore - so wouldn't have seen this if you hadn't quoted - but seriously, has there ever been a bigger flag of the delusional than have to self-promote their own wisdom/knowlege?

Show don't tell.

Yup. I can't recall exactly why I thought he would be capable or willing to discuss the issue in a detached, fact-based manner, but since he resorts to ad hom and other fallacies repeatedly (much like Romeo does), I'm not seeing much point in continuing to engage him.
FBM

Tue 15 Apr, 2014 07:55 pm
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/10150614_699334776785965_6756279978727081929_n_zps4e9b5199.jpg
spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:04 am
@FBM,
Are you suggesting that --" but seriously, has there ever been a bigger flag of the delusional than have to self-promote their own wisdom/knowlege?"-- is not an ad hom?

" he resorts to ad hom and other fallacies repeatedly"

That's another FB.

Will you provide an example of my using an ad hom about you?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:36 am
@FBM,
The KJ Bible does not use the word "filthy". Its use is propaganda.

The custom referred to in Leviticus is beyond our understanding. The male child was purified by circumcision.

It may be that confining mother and daughter enabled a stronger bond to be formed between them than was thought appropriate for males.

Quote:
Song of Solomon 4

4:1 Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes within thy locks: thy hair is as a flock of goats, that appear from mount Gilead.

4:2 Thy teeth are like a flock of sheep that are even shorn, which came up from the washing; whereof every one bear twins, and none is barren among them.

4:3 Thy lips are like a thread of scarlet, and thy speech is comely: thy temples are like a piece of a pomegranate within thy locks.

4:4 Thy neck is like the tower of David builded for an armoury, whereon there hang a thousand bucklers, all shields of mighty men.

4:5 Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies.

4:6 Until the day break, and the shadows flee away, I will get me to the mountain of myrrh, and to the hill of frankincense.

4:7 Thou art all fair, my love; there is no spot in thee.

4:8 Come with me from Lebanon, my spouse, with me from Lebanon: look from the top of Amana, from the top of Shenir and Hermon, from the lions' dens, from the mountains of the leopards.

4:9 Thou hast ravished my heart, my sister, my spouse; thou hast ravished my heart with one of thine eyes, with one chain of thy neck.

4:10 How fair is thy love, my sister, my spouse! how much better is thy love than wine! and the smell of thine ointments than all spices!

4:11 Thy lips, O my spouse, drop as the honeycomb: honey and milk are under thy tongue; and the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon.

4:12 A garden enclosed is my sister, my spouse; a spring shut up, a fountain sealed.

4:13 Thy plants are an orchard of pomegranates, with pleasant fruits; camphire, with spikenard,

4:14 Spikenard and saffron; calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense; myrrh and aloes, with all the chief spices:

4:15 A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon.

4:16 Awake, O north wind; and come, thou south; blow upon my garden, that the spices thereof may flow out. Let my beloved come into his garden, and eat his pleasant fruits.

I think you are twisting the young lady' mind with selective, out of context, quotes which you neither understand nor care to.
FBM

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:37 am
http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/hapkido1996/1509998_659759430745530_88006496492868366_n_zps657862ab.jpg
0 Replies

FBM

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:39 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The KJ Bible does not use the word "filthy". It's use is propaganda...

It's.
spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:43 am
@FBM,
Down to picking up on typos are you? Don't do it to fm.
FBM

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:54 am
@spendius,
I'm an English teacher. I can't help it. I'm conditioned to do that. Wink
spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:55 am
@FBM,
btw FB--other chapters of Solomon raise matters you probably do think unclean.

Why don't you campaign for the dissolution of the churches and the banning of The Bible?

It is obvious that your Biblical quotes have been searched for by others on sites you are attracted to and don't come from your own careful reading of it.
FBM

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:59 am
@spendius,
I wouldn't campaign for anything that limits the freedom or dictates the behavior of others except for when that behaviour is injurious to others. And there is no paucity of evidence for injurious behavior motivated by religions.
spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 04:59 am
@FBM,
Why have you not applied your strictures to fm then? Why grant me the sole privilege?

I'm an atheist in case you have forgotten. I think you lot are holding atheism back with your infantile anachronisms.
spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 05:03 am
@FBM,
That doesn't answer my question. It is evasive. I hope your students are not subjected to similar willful distortions.
FBM

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 05:05 am
@spendius,
"fm"? Who dat? No, I remember that you're an atheist, but if you take up the cause of defending or glorifying an ideology or ideologies that promote violence, discrimination and ignorance, then I'll argue with you. Also, I reserve the right to speak my mind freely, just as I respect your right to do the same. But that doesn't mean that I have to care about your opinions.
0 Replies

FBM

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 05:06 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

That doesn't answer my question. It is evasive. I hope your students are not subjected to similar willful distortions.

It's a direct answer as to why I don't campaign to eradicate religion. What part don't you understand? My gripe is with the resultant behavior, not the private beliefs of any particular individual.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 16 Apr, 2014 06:28 am
@FBM,
Quote:
And there is no paucity of evidence for injurious behavior motivated by religions.

That is an ad hom as well. It does not address alternatives and it does not define "others". Nor does it say what injurious means. And it implies that only you are against injurious behaviour and only you can define it.

Where is the example I asked for of me using an ad hom about you? hinge uses little else but ad homs. And he can't take the heat either and is proud of it.

It is very odd that those who use ad homs the most are so ready to accuse those who don't of the glaring fault. Doing that is an ad hom.

Total Senate
100 (53D, 45R, 2I)
Women
20 (16D, 4R)
Total House
435 (201D, 234R)
Women
79 (60D, 19R), plus 3 (3D)

Does that mean that voters consider women unfit? There are moves here to impose women on the electorate. In 2014. And you are citing selected examples, out of context, from 3000 years ago in a barbaric society written by what have been referred to on this thread, and others like it, as "goat herders" (another gross ad hom. )

Even Setanta, the ad hom king, has allowed that there are deeper reasons than religion for the historical violence.

The limitation of freedom is a necessary condition of all organised societies and it is more severe in non-religious ones than we are used to. Talking about the limitation of freedom whilst ignoring that fact is devious. At best. It is actually nonsense and patronising and deliberately misleading.