Australian Open Tennis 2010

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:39 pm
Andy Murray is playing great tennis and appears to have the edge on Nadal at the moment.

Roddick is out. Too bad, he tries so hard.

Davydenko is also playing great. But can anyone beat federer?

engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:02 pm
@rosborne979,
Nadal had great words for Murray, saying he can win it all. Can anyone beat Federer? Sure, just ask Davydenko about their last match. Venus is playing well; I think the question is Venus vs Serena? I like Henin, but I really hope she doesn't win here. There's something not right about taking a couple of years off then smoking everyone on your return.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:41 pm
@engineer,
Nadal had to retire due to injury. Unfortunate, but I think Murray was going to beat him this time anyway.

Serena seems unstoppable to me. It's always a tossup when the sisters play, but I think Serena's got the edge right now.

Davydenko is also playing very sharp tennis. He's so small and light that his movements (direction changes) are deceptive. And he's such a low-key personality that it would be amazing to see him win.

The smart money has to be on Federer, he's still the #1 seed, but I like Murray a lot for this year.

Poor Nadal is facing some nasty physical challenges. I'm afraid his 2010 season may be shot, but even worse, his career may be in jeopardy if he can't get ahead of his injuries. His game style is so physical that I don't think he can compete without 100% health.
engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 07:13 pm
@rosborne979,
Yes, I worry about Nadal, especially as his tennis is such a natural counter to Federer. I always thought the same about Hewitt. His game was just too aggressive and physical to hold up year after year. I'm going against the odds and taking Davydenko for the men. I think Serena has the woman's side, but I'm pulling for Venus.
Dutchy

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:00 pm
@engineer,
Have been watching the action closely, rooting for Federer and Henin. Smile
engineer

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 07:57 am
@Dutchy,
When Clisters won the US Open, women's tennis got a lot of undeserved criticism because of the idea that the field is so weak that someone could take a couple years off then come back and win a major. I say undeserved, because it's not like Clisters was lounging on the beach for that entire time. A world class athlete could definitely step out of competition but still stay fit and in practice, then come back to the game rejuvenated. Henin is probably in better shape to do this than Clisters, but if she wins you will hear the same chorus of comments against the women's game. I'll pull for her in the French.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 07:59 am
i'm looking forward to the jim courier/hamish & andy bums match

podcast should be up today

http://www.fox.com.au/shows/hamishandandy/video/playing-with-stars?lineUpId=1612732170&titleId=63576937001&bclid=1612732170&bctid=63576937001
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 08:07 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I'm going against the odds and taking Davydenko for the men. I think Serena has the woman's side, but I'm pulling for Venus.

Well, so much for those picks.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

engineer wrote:

I'm going against the odds and taking Davydenko for the men. I think Serena has the woman's side, but I'm pulling for Venus.

Well, so much for those picks.

I may be crazy, but I'm sticking with Andy Murray to beat Federer this year.

Serena will win the women's side. Unless she threatens a lines person and gets thrown out.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:41 pm
Murray vs Federer, Henin vs Williams

I'll go with Murray and Williams, even though Serena looked very tired against Li.

Feder is playing his usual relentless and precise game but I think it's going to come down to a battle of guts and will.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:48 pm
@Dutchy,
Still rooting fore my 2 picks, Henin and Federer.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:51 pm
@Dutchy,
The finals should be good. Both matches could go either way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:01 pm
@Dutchy,
I with Dutchy on his picks, but that might be a bad thing for Dutchy..
engineer

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll go completely the other way and go with Murray and Williams.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:03 am
Womens' final on now....games on serve so far!
dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:56 am
@margo,
And now 'tis all over bar the shouting.
engineer

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:20 pm
@dlowan,
One down. Great match. Go Murray.
Izzie

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 02:37 pm
@engineer,
does anyone have a link for a live feed for the final, please?
Dutchy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:05 pm
@Izzie,
Hi Izzie. Try this one. http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/index.html
Dutchy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Ossobuco did you put a curse on me? Twisted Evil
0 Replies