What does Muted mean in terms of GMAIL?

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:39 pm
I never seen it before but by one subject line in my Gmail Inbox is a blue outlined box with "Muted" blue letters.

Is this a new feature of Gmail? What the heck does it mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 14,366 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 03:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is the Gmail mute feature, which has been around since 2006. I guess you typed the letter m while reading a message that was not sent to you directly, e.g. from a mailing list. If you subscribe to a mailing list and you receive each new message in Gmail, you may run into boring threads that just continue to be boring. Gmail lets you mute these threads, so you still receive new messages but they're automatically archived.

To mute a thread, just type m while reading it. Each muted thread gets the label mute (and also muted), so you can find all your muted threads by searching for label:mute.

Note that this works only for mails that are not sent directly to you, which is the case for mailing lists.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 04:34 pm
@contrex,
Interesting considering this was an email directly sent to me from a friend in England. How can I "unmute" it?
contrex

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Select the conversation you want to unmute (demute?), and from the drop-down choose "Move to inbox."

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:36 pm
@contrex,
It's not giving me that option as I guess it's still in my Inbox already. I wish Gmail had a valid customer tech support.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:31 am
Move the message to another folder (you can create one) and then choose to view "All Mail"; when you highlight the muted message or conversation, the option to move it to the Inbox will become visible, this will unmute it.
0 Replies

Taylorselene

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 01:56 pm
@contrex,
would if i sent i message out but didn't mean to.... could mute fix that?
contrex

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 02:33 pm
@Taylorselene ,
Taylorselene wrote:

would if i sent i message out but didn't mean to.... could mute fix that?

If you mean you want to recall a Gmail message, you cannot.
0 Replies