The Beatles in 1957: Photo

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 09:25 am
that's a startling photo.
I found this appreciation of Ringo's drumming and consider it a good overview.

http://thecurvature.com/2009/07/07/top-10-ringo-starr-drum-tracks/
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 10:02 am
Yep, that pretty much sums it up, Pan.

I'll add that five years after the Beatles broke up and punk began to materialize, rock n' roll musicians were in general, I think, developing a greater appreciation for drummers either lacking the talent to play their kit as if it were a lead instrument, or at least possessing the restraint to simply keep time and listen to the rest of the band. Take, for example, Ringo's fellow British Invasion clubber Charlie Watts, and consider how Watts just melts into the fabric of the sound.

Such is Ringo's greatest asset. That and his airy fills. Just think of that opening fill to "Lovely Rita." So simple, yet that song would not be the same without that precise intro. Though George Martin ought to get ample credit for the sound he gets from Ringo's drum heads.
djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 10:12 am
@Gargamel,
a buddy of mine was in a power pop kind of trio in the early 80's, when their drummer left they began the search for a new one, one guy they went to see had a neil peart style drum set up, the ad for the drummer had specifically pointed out what sort of drummer they were looking for, after talking to the guy, they both realized that a) this wasn't the guy for them and b) this guy probably answered every drummer wanted ad he saw, regardless of the type of music just to show off his drum set

the guy was apparently a decent enough drummer, but apart form not being the sort they needed, a quarter of his drum kit wouldn't have fit on most of the northern ontario bar stages they played
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 10:16 am
There is a town in north Ontario,
With dream comfort memory to spare,
And in my mind
I still need a place to go,
All my changes were there.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:38 pm
@Gargamel,
Quote:
Ringo's fellow British Invasion clubber Charlie Watts, and consider how Watts just melts into the fabric of the sound.

Someone once told me that Charlie was the only rock drummer that followed the guitar player(Keith Richards). I listened to Street Fighting Man and realized this was true.

Nodding my head about Martin getting a good drum sound on the recordings.
0 Replies