MSNBC's top programs provide more than 18 times as much coverage of Haiti earthquake as Fox News' to

nimh

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 03:18 pm
MSNBC's top programs provide more than 18 times as much coverage of Haiti earthquake as Fox News' top shows

Quote:
The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity, and Glenn Beck, Fox News' three top-rated programs for 2009, combined to devote a total of 6 minutes, 41 seconds of coverage to the earthquake in Haiti.

Among the things they chose to air instead were Beck's interview with Palin -- to which he devoted nearly his entire show -- Hannity's continued advocacy for Brown; and O'Reilly's discussion of Stewart.

Countdown, The Rachel Maddow Show, and Hardball, MSNBC's three top-rated shows, devoted 2 hours, 2 minutes and 33 seconds to the earthquake -- more than 18 times the coverage devoted by Fox News' top three shows.

Other Fox News shows -- such as Special Report with Bret Baier and The Fox Report with Shepard Smith -- did devote extensive coverage to the earthquake.

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/earthquake%20coverage%20by%20show.jpg

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 20,908 • Replies: 239

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 03:26 pm
@nimh,
is the point that MSNBC skews towards the sensational? It is very difficult to justify that many minutes on any rational newsworthiness basis. It must be lots of heart wrenching video and the same dialog repeated over and over again. This is a story that can be told in full in ten minutes.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 03:34 pm
@nimh,
I don't want to sound insensitive and I hate to defend Fox News in any fashion but so what?
DrewDad

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I don't want to sound insensitive and I hate to defend Fox News in any fashion but so what?

Yes; I'm not sure this tempest even aspires to teapot status.
chai2

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:10 pm
that was my first thought, "What's your point?"

the disaster would be just as real if neither were covering.
chai2

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:13 pm
@chai2,
Actually, I just realized....I haven't even turned on my television in 5 or 6 days, so I wouldn't know who was taking the situation in Haiti more sucessfully into our collective living rooms.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:22 pm
Broadcasters play to their base, no surprise there. Do you really think the people who suck up Fox news want more than a few minutes devoted to a country full of poor, black people who they fear are going steal their precious tax dollars? If they can't climb out from under that rubble it's there own damn fault! Fox knows who their people are and they are not looking to inspire compassion in any them. I would like to see Palin try and find Haiti on a map without any help from a fifth grader.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:38 pm
@Green Witch,
WAit, when Fox finds some flaw in Obamas Haiti plan, they will be all over it like beetles on a ****-pile.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
It is very difficult to justify that many minutes on any rational newsworthiness basis.

With the currently estimated death toll it could go down as the third most deadly earthquake since 1900. This is newsworthy.

Balloon boy got more than the few minutes these shows dedicated to it and, before you just point the finger at the "media", more attention from most a2kers like you than this. And it is mind-numbingly American to shrug off that many dead as not being worthy of more than 10 minutes of news coverage.

They have collected 50,000 bodies and expect between 100,000 and 200,000 total dead. That is like an above average (in population) American city being wiped off the map and it's newsworthy if you can empathize with people who happen to live in a different country (because none of you would call this a non-event if it were American dead).

This death toll is bigger than Katrina, it is bigger than 9/11 and by orders of magnitude. This dismissal lacks a sense of perspective.
Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:47 pm
I would just point out that the so-called Fox "News" is an entertainment venture, so i don't understand why anyone would expect relevance from them.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 05:58 pm
Quote:
Other Fox News shows -- such as Special Report with Bret Baier and The Fox Report with Shepard Smith -- did devote extensive coverage to the earthquake.

This kinda makes the whole thread moot, doesn't it?
Below viewing threshold (view)
Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:08 pm
Jackass
JTT

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:09 pm
@DrewDad,
Pat Robertson's protege?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Two of them. Pat must be intending to open some branch offices.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
This earthquake is part of a continuum of self inflicted Haitian tragedies. Money and sympathy are better spent elsewhere, someplace where their is a reasonable expectation of return on investment.

The entire situation is the result of plate tectonics and nothing more. Unless of course , you request that Port au Prince be relocated to a tectonically inactive area. I think that you and Pat Robertson have a lot in common in the logic department.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Your strange views of tectonics and politics must also be true for places like LA , ALaska, Japan, and China. Am I close?
Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 06:25 pm
Why anyone would use "Hawkeye" and "logic" in the same sentence is beyond me.
0 Replies