How do I deal with my EXTREME passive aggressive sister?

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 01:24 pm
My older sister ( we'll call her Tina) is extremely passive aggressive (pa). She is very difficult to get along with. She is not overtly rude, she is very subtle in her words but takes offense to everything. If you do not know Tina well, no body would ever expect it and they would think I am exaggerating if I would tell them how she is. She does very spiteful things and has a way of manipulating her words. Over the holidays all of our family were getting together quite often and if I had to call her to remind her to bring dessert or ask her to run to the store real quick, I could tell she would get bothered, but "acted" fine with my request. Later my mom or other sister would tell me that my Tina feels that I am treating her like a kid. She hates for someone to tell or suggest to her anything. She also has a real demanding, control issue with her children; very authoritarian. She overly analyzes everything I do and say. I know that it is not just me who she does this with, but I can read her so well that it is starting to frustrate me. I am the youngest of four girls and she has always been jealous of me. Any little conversation we have, I feel that she is comparing herself to me or wants to complete with me in our relationships with my mother or other sisters. I try to shine it off and maintain a relationship with her because she has never actually wronged me in any way. I just have a hard time with her personality. She is just so negative and judgmental and I know that she tries to find the wrong in the way I raise my family so she can feel better about how she is raising her family. She is very well off, while I am middle class. I live in an average size 3 bd rm home and she does not let her kids come to my house because my house is too small and my husband cusses. (like they don't hear cussing at school). I have recently limited our bond, by not calling her or visiting her as much. I have also put a boundary on the substance of our conversations. I make sure that they are brief and harmless. But is sucks because I feel that I have to walk on egg shells so I don't upset her. My sisters and my mom have all said that we have to watch what we say or Tina will get mad. With the rest of our family it is not like that. We are open and honest and can still be civil and rational. Should I walk on egg shells or should I be normal, the way I would be with any body else and Tina will just have to mature a little and learn not to be so analytical and negative. Will that ever be possible or is she took stuck in her ways? Is there any thing else you would suggest?

aidan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:03 pm
@arlenesegura,
It sounds to me that you have her figured out. If you're not doing anything wrong don't worry about it.

I am one of four sisters and I have one sister who is very rule-oriented and literal and judmental and she and I have lived our lives very differently from one another. But whenever we've run into problems in the past, I've told her that we are two very different personalities (albeit raised in the same family and 17 months apart in age) and that we need to accept each other's strengths and weaknesses.

For instance, she likes rules and schedules- I don't - they make me feel constricted. So when we're on a trip together and she wants a typed itenerary - she knows now that that makes me feel stifled and I can't really deal with that- because I've told her, as sensitively as I can, that I understand what her likes and needs are, but I have mine too.

I would say be honest about your feelings, but put it all in 'I' language - not 'You always do this and you always do that' but 'I'm not good at this so it's hard for me to do that'....I think it's all in the way you think about it and phrase it which determines which relationships can be salvaged.

And sisters are a precious gift. I wouldn't throw one away - I'd try to work it out.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 02:47 pm
Some sisters are precious gifts and others are not. I have one who is a pathological liar, chronically late or missing dates altogether (not even cancelling sometimes), and is ego-centric. Not a lot there to love, if you ask me.

Regarding PA behaviour and your sister, I would simply be normal. I wouldn't walk on eggshells - let her have her hissy fit or whatever she does. Why should one person be catered to like that? Uh-uh.

What you're doing sounds right to me - setting boundaries on your time, involvement, and depth of conversation.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:24 pm
So, if you say something that she doesn't like, and she gets mad about it, what happens next? Does she get physical? Does she badmouth you to the rest of the family? Does she withhold something from you or get in your way somehow?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:40 pm
@arlenesegura,
" Over the holidays all of our family were getting together quite often and if I had to call her to remind her to bring dessert or ask her to run to the store real quick, I could tell she would get bothered, but "acted" fine with my request."

Wait a minute.. who is being the controller? Often, passive aggression is a learned response for the weakest/weaker person.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 04:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I have had a few problems with friends that are fine with manipulating others. This is the way of the world, but it makes me very uncomfortable. Since I grew up, x number of years ago, I won't do that when friends ask, which is how the discussions about this occur. My own personality is off on the other direction, too straightforward if I do choose to make a comment. It took me a while to get here, which is why I recognize passive aggression in a lot of conversations by all of us.

I am reading this family - with no real knowledge, just from a post - as a classic reactive situation, with an almost built in back and forth of 'you shoulds' and a kind of control fight for life.

0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 11:44 pm
This is not necessarily an answer for you, but personally, I try to have very little to do with 'high maintenance' people whether we are related or not.

At sixty-seven I am no longer willing to expend significant energy in dealing with them. That said, there are a few relatives and others who fit this description that I can't completely avoid.

In those cases my approach is similar to yours: be polite, keep it simple, keep it superficial, and try to confine conversation/involvement to conflict-free areas.

That works reasonably well for me.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 02:19 am
@arlenesegura,
Give some thawt to this:
in a worst case situation, what do u have to lose
if u act normally and Tina gets mad at u?

If u r willing to accept those consequences,
then u have more freedom to get off the eggshells.
If u r not willing to accept those consequences, then your current plan shoud be continued.
Do u have an opinion of how intensely Tina wishes to continue social contact with u?

It might well be a good idea to co-ordinate
with your mom and your other sisters; maybe get a consensus.
If u all choose to complain to Tina, then maybe it 'd be best
issuing from your mom, possibly carrying more weight than if u do.

David
aidan

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 02:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

I think this would be a huge mistake- and more than that- a disrespectful way to treat your sister. If you are all adults, you should treat each other as such. And this sort of going behind one's back to arrive at a 'consensus' about that person's personality traits that the others don't like and would like her to change is childish, petty and disrespectful.
Why would someone do that? Because they don't trust their own opinion enough and they have to weight it and bolster it and themselves with backup and support? That's the sort of thing people do in junior highschool-'You do this and this and this - everyone thinks so...'

If you care enough and really want to salvage your relationship - talk to your sister. If you don't - don't. Maybe you should look at your own issues and see if there's not something you might need to change.
But if you want her to respect you all and feel at all comfortable within your family don't treat her like a communal problem and have your mom lead an intervention on her negative personality traits that you all have decided bother you. That's just bullshit. Sorry David - but that's not the way to treat an equal or that secure adults with healthy self-confidence treat other adults.
aidan

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:02 am
@aidan,
And in fact, it puts the mother in a very difficult position. Most mothers just want the family to function smoothly and are hurt, upset and worried when there is strife within the family.
If the mother sees one child treating the other disrepectfully and notes it on her own, I can see her stepping in and saying, 'Don't talk to your sister like that,' or 'I notice you seem to have a hard time communicating with ...., maybe you should keep x,y, and z in mind...' facilitating the relationship and communication.

But that's very different from a mother going to one of her children and saying, 'Your sisters and I have been talking about it (in other words YOU) and we've come to the conclusion that you do this and that and you need to change this and that...' No - as a mother myself, I would never do that to one of my children....NEVER.

If my son disrepected my daughter and/or the other way around in these petty sorts of ways, I'd tell them it's their relationship and they need to work on it and work it out. After the age of about fourteen or fifteen - most people can and should be able to speak for themselves- besides the fact that the person who is being talked about behind his or her back will lose trust and feel betrayed by the people who are supposed to be their allies - especially if it's his or her mother.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 04:08 am
@aidan,
David wrote:
aidan wrote:
I think this would be a huge mistake- and more than that- a disrespectful way
to treat your sister. If you are all adults, you should treat each other as such.
I will stand by my reasoning; Arlene can judge which is the better way to go.
I infer that by your use of the word "adults" u probably mean
reasonable people. I am not certain of whether Arlene deems Tina to be
reasonable in her mental processes or not. Factional fragmentation
in the face of a common problem is not the ideal way to proceed, in my opinion.

aidan wrote:
And this sort of going behind one's back to arrive at a 'consensus'
about that person's personality traits that the others don't like
and would like her to change is childish, petty and disrespectful.
From Arlene 's post, I don 't have the impression that
her mom and 2 other sisters respect Tina's behavior.
Thay have already been discussing what to do about it.
Since Tina 's behavior is their common problem,
thay shoud consider how best to address it.
It woud be of questionable wisdom to have Tina sitting right there
while thay r trying to decide what to do. A planning session is not
a trial in a court of law. I don 't see that it has anything to do with age.
I had this problem yesterday, when I was asked to ostracize someone
because of untoward ad hominem comments that she has made (sometimes loudly)
in public, on several occasions.
If I had tried to analyse the problem with her participating
in the discussions, only a loud verbal fight woud have resulted.
Arlene must decide how it is most wise to proceed in her circumstances.

aidan wrote:
Why would someone do that?
To keep things peaceful until thay decide what to to and how to do it.

aidan wrote:
Because they don't trust their own opinion enough
Yes; most of us know that we r not right all the time,
and we need to slowly and carefully figure out the situation.

aidan wrote:
and they have to weight it and bolster it and themselves with backup and support?
Yeah, that 's always good.

aidan wrote:
That's the sort of thing people do in junior high school-
'You do this and this and this - everyone thinks so...'
If I understand u accurately, u r implying that people of that age,
13 to 15, r always incorrect and therefore, we shoud avoid doing
anything that thay do. I don't accept your premise.
I think that is what u implied; if u meant something other than
that people of that age are stupid, then please tell us what u mean.

aidan wrote:
If you care enough and really want to salvage your relationship -
talk to your sister. If you don't - don't. Maybe you should look at
your own issues and see if there's not something you might need to change.
But if you want her to respect you all and feel at all comfortable
within your family don't treat her like a communal problem and have
your mom lead an intervention on her negative personality traits
that you all have decided bother you. That's just bullshit.
Sorry David - but that's not the way to treat an equal or that
secure adults with healthy self-confidence treat other adults.
Arlene can correct me if I am rong, but I did not interpret her post
as indicating that she, her mom, nor her other sisters feel "secure"
in the described circumstances; that is the reason that Arlene
is walking on eggshells; that is not the hallmark of security
nor of the self-confidence of which u write, Rebecca.
aidan

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 06:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

And I stand by mine. When I say 'adult' I mean a person of legal age who is responsible for his or her own actions and behavior and does not or should not depend on Mommy to intercede and solve his or her problems.
Of course all adults are not reasonable. But the problems that Arlene has outlined with her sister rely very heavily on her perception. She says that her sister says she is fine with doing what she asks her to do, but that she's not, in reality. How does she know this? Has the sister said, 'I don't like you to ask me to do things.' Has the sister said, 'I've always been jealous of you'? Has the sister said, 'I think I'm better than you because my family's income is bigger than yours'?

These are all things that she's positing. She can only be sure of how the sister feels if she asks her or says to her, 'I get the feeling that even though you say you'll do these things, you don't like it when I suggest them'...and on down the line.

Quote:

Well, I guess that's where we differ. If anyone ever asked me to ostracize someone else, I'd have a hard time looking at that person as anything but immature and meddling. As far as I'm concerned everyone should be able to experience each person separately and make their decision about whether or not to interact with that person accordingly.

I don't like these 'talk behind peoples' backs and come up with a consensus scenarios'. I worked at one place where the woman in charge was almost universally disliked and my department had this meeting about confronting her. I told them I would not be involved. I felt that it was cowardly and disrespectful to talk about her and present her with a fait accompli consensus in which she was not allowed to be present to answer for herself and face her accusers instead of some amorphous 'we' who all agreed after talking about it behind her back.

And when you're dealing with a family David - in my estimation there's even more care that needs to be taken. But that's probably because my mother drummed into my head the concept of family loyalty and love - and I would never want to hurt or ostracize or isolate a member of my family by letting him or her know that I'd been discussing everything I didn't like about him or her with everyone else who felt the same way behind his or her back.
And most ESPECIALLY not as the mother of that family. No - I would never put one of my children in the position of having to feel that way. I'd talk to him or her myself and encourage anyone who had a problem with him or her to manage it on their own.
Quote:

You didn't understand me accurately. If anything, I appreciate children and their directness much more than I do adults and their tendency to manipulate- so I most definitely do NOT feel that they are always incorrect. But one thing they do tend to do, as a group (which some people never, in fact outgrow) is to function in cliques as gangs. And I don't think that's a good way for a family of adults to approach one another or function. I think it can cause hurt feelings or misunderstandings to the point that emotional hurts or fractures are never healed.

Let's put it this way - if my adult brother or sister had a problem with me and they had a family meeting about it and then had my mother or father approach me my first question would be, 'What's the matter with you? Why can't you speak for yourself?
And my second reaction would be to feel hurt and betrayed by my parents. Because honestly I can't imagine them sitting with my other brothers and sisters and speaking negatively about me. It just wouldn't happen. They love and treat all of us equally and while accepting that none of us are perfect, have never made themselves open to being the repository for all of our criticisms of each other.
And that's the way I think parents should be in a family.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 03:54 pm
@aidan,
David wrote:
aidan wrote:
And I stand by mine. When I say 'adult' I mean a person of legal age who is responsible
for his or her own actions and behavior and does not or should
not depend on Mommy to intercede and solve his or her problems.
The purpose of this thread is for Arlene to get advice of how to address this problem.
Different advice is now available for her in the thread.
My reason for having the mom speak to Tina is that I got the
general impression that Tina did not have much respect for Arlene,
or not enuf anyway; accordingly, it might be possible that she 'd
have more respect for her own mom.

aidan wrote:
Of course all adults are not reasonable. But the problems that Arlene has outlined with her sister rely very heavily on her perception. She says that her sister says she is fine with doing what she asks her to do, but that she's not, in reality. How does she know this? Has the sister said, 'I don't like you to ask me to do things.' Has the sister said, 'I've always been jealous of you'? Has the sister said, 'I think I'm better than you because my family's income is bigger than yours'?
These are all things that she's positing.
She can only be sure of how the sister feels if she asks her or says
to her, 'I get the feeling that even though you say you'll do these things,
you don't like it when I suggest them'...and on down the line.

David wrote:

aidan wrote:
Well, I guess that's where we differ.
If anyone ever asked me to ostracize someone else,
I'd have a hard time looking at that person as anything but immature and meddling.
Well, as to some of us, as we get much more mature, we 'll need the services of morticians.
He resents the calumnious & officious meddling of the offender,
who tried to break up his closest friendship. Another person,
(for whom getting much more mature is also kinda risky)
resents some very personal invective from the offender in question.
The offense was "a truth spoken in malice" as she put it.

aidan wrote:
As far as I'm concerned everyone should be able to experience
each person separately and make their decision about whether
or not to interact with that person accordingly. I don't like these
'talk behind peoples' backs and come up with a consensus scenarios'.
Does that mean that if a colleague offends u
(suppose he steals your lunch or kicks u in the knee)
u can 't talk about it with your other colleagues,
unless the perpetrator is present? I don 't see it that way.

aidan wrote:
I worked at one place where the woman in charge was almost universally disliked
and my department had this meeting about confronting her.
I told them I would not be involved.
I can 't blame them for desiring to be properly organized, rather than haphazzard.
If those people suffered a variety of abuses at her hands,
to me it seems very natural that, free speech being what it is,
these people will complain of their respective injuries to one another.

aidan wrote:
I felt that it was cowardly and disrespectful to talk about her
I don 't see it as an issue of bravery, but rather of wisdom;
if thay felt abused at her hands, then maybe it coud be possible
that thay did not respect her; just guessing, here.

aidan wrote:
and present her with a fait accompli consensus in which she
was not allowed to be present to answer for herself and face her accusers
Is it possible to do that AFTER she has received
their objections n complaints?

aidan wrote:
instead of some amorphous 'we' who all agreed after talking about
it behind her back.
How do u feel about labor unions?
Is it immoral or unethical for the membeship to discuss
their complaints among themselves at a meeting,
even if management is not present at the union meeting?

aidan wrote:
And when you're dealing with a family David - in my estimation
there's even more care that needs to be taken.
But that's probably because my mother drummed into my head the concept of family loyalty and love
Is it disloyal to discuss their complaints?
I don't think it is, be it among children qua parents,
nor reciprocally between parents qua children, etc.
That is just normal and very paradigmatic free speech qua newsworthy events.
" Hay, sister: Uncle Charlie said that and did THIS!"

To MY mind, that is very natural family behavior.
I imagine that nearly all families thusly converse
among themselves in an ambiance of freedom.
Candor moves me to take it a step further, to wit:
enforced self-discipline of NOT discussing events
(for good or ill) of family members, to me seems
artificially stifling & unnaturally constrictive
such as to be inconsistent with the spirit of being "at home"
free and relaxed and expressing oneself openly.
I suspect that very few families live (stifled) like that.
I don 't think its emotionally healthy to dwell
so severely repressed, especially not on a long-term basis.

aidan wrote:
- and I would never want to hurt or ostracize or isolate a member
of my family by letting him or her know that I'd been discussing
everything I didn't like about him or her with everyone else who
felt the same way behind his or her back.
I never heard of any duty of family members to remain silent
concerning perceived injuries unless the perpetrator is present.

aidan wrote:
And most ESPECIALLY not as the mother of that family.
No - I would never put one of my children in the position
of having to feel that way. I'd talk to him or her myself
and encourage anyone who had a problem with him or her
to manage it on their own.
What if speaking to the offender was futile?
How to proceed if the situation is deemed intolerable ?

David wrote:

aidan wrote:
You didn't understand me accurately.
If anything, I appreciate children and their directness much more
than I do adults and their tendency to manipulate- so I most definitely
do NOT feel that they are always incorrect.
OK; I thawt I detected an element of disdain in your voice
when u mentioned junior hi school. I see now that I was incorrect.

aidan wrote:
But one thing they do tend to do, as a group (which some people never, in fact outgrow)
is to function in cliques as gangs. And I don't think that's a good way
for a family of adults to approach one another or function.
Well, I thawt that ordinary group dynamics and free speech
will govern how that evolves. Again, people will deem it newsworthy if "Cousin Hank slashed my tires!"

aidan wrote:
I think it can cause hurt feelings or misunderstandings
to the point that emotional hurts or fractures are never healed.
Well, u never know. People can take offense very unexpectedly. That has happened.

aidan wrote:
Let's put it this way - if my adult brother or sister had a problem
with me and they had a family meeting about it and then had my
mother or father approach me my first question would be,
'What's the matter with you? Why can't you speak for yourself?
What if speaking to u was ineffective and the objected conduct persisted,
to the dissatisfaction of other family members?
Suppose, e.g., in conversation with your dad, your sister says:
"U know, Rebecca called me a blankety blank n said that I 'm ugly!
She 's getting on my nerves" to which he replies:
"yeah? Well, I didn't like it much either when she threw a rock thru my window!"
Your brother then chimes in:
"yeah? Well u know, she stole my son Wendel 's bike;
I saw her riding away on it, thru my binoculars!"

I don t believe that loyalty requires them to enforce
the self-discipline of silence until u return,
with or without the bike.

aidan wrote:
And my second reaction would be to feel hurt and betrayed
by my parents. Because honestly I can't imagine them sitting
with my other brothers and sisters and speaking negatively about me.
It just wouldn't happen.
Even if there were something newsworthy??
" Hay, Dad: come look, there 's Rebecca on the news!
She 's been arrested while robbing the First National Bank!
She tried to get away on that bicycle."

aidan wrote:
They love and treat all of us equally and while accepting that
none of us are perfect, have never made themselves open to
being the repository for all of our criticisms of each other.
And that's the way I think parents should be in a family.
OK

David
aidan

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 04:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Does that mean that if a colleague offends u
(suppose he steals your lunch or kicks u in the knee)
u can 't talk about it with your other colleagues,
unless the perpetrator is present? I don 't see it that way.

I guess I'd talk about it with the person who did it first- and then yeah- it could become part of our workplace lore. It's just a matter of what's most productive. And to me, it's always more productive to address the person who's behavior you're wishing would change instead of talking to everyone around that person about that person.
Quote:
I can 't blame them for desiring to be properly organized, rather than haphazzard.
If those people suffered a variety of abuses at her hands,
to me it seems very natural that, free speech being what it is,
these people will complain of their respective injuries to one another.

It was more about the way she conducted the meetings with the parents of the students. She didn't really do anything to any of us - she was just sort of outspoken in what people took to be innappropriate ways in our meetings. And that just turned into this long laundry list that people sat around talking about every lunch time until they had such a head of steam built up that the department head said,'Okay - let's make an official complaint.' And that's when I said, 'I'm not going to be part of a complaint against this woman when no one has had the courage to say a word to her face.' It'd be like getting officially reprimanded before anyone even breathed a word that they had a problem and giving you the chance to adjust your practices.

Quote:
How do u feel about labor unions?
Is it immoral or unethical for the membeship to discuss
their complaints among themselves at a meeting,
even if management is not present at the union meeting?

Sure, if it's about professional and business practices and doesn't become personal and underhanded.
Quote:

Is it disloyal to discuss their complaints?
I don't think it is, be it among children qua parents,
nor reciprocally between parents qua children, etc.
That is just normal and very paradigmatic free speech qua newsworthy events.
" Hay, sister: Uncle Charlie said that and did THIS!"

To MY mind, that is very natural family behavior.
I imagine that nearly all families thusly converse
among themselves in an ambiance of freedom.
Candor moves me to take it a step further, to wit:
enforced self-discipline of NOT discussing events
(for good or ill) of family members, to me seems
artificially stifling & unnaturally constrictive
such as to be inconsistent with the spirit of being "at home"
free and relaxed and expressing oneself openly.
I suspect that very few families live (stifled) like that.
I don 't think its emotionally healthy to dwell
so severely repressed, especially not on a long-term basis.

I don't know how to explain it so that you'll understand - but it's not stifling at all to me. It's very reassuring to me to know that my mother and father are totally neutral and respectful of each of us and our privacy and feelings to the extent that they have made it very clear that they do not feel comfortable listening to or participating in critical and unkind conversations from one child about another. If someone is negative about someone else, my mother counters with a positive. She makes it very clear that her loyalties lie with ALL of us and she doesn't feel comfortable talking negatively about anyone who isn't there.
I don't feel stifled by it. I think it's good practice. You know 'If you don't have something good to say - don't say anything at all.' 'Tend to your own knitting.' 'Judge not lest ye be judged.' 'Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.'

And honestly- do I WANT people sitting around discussing me and my faults and my business? No. So I think my parents set the perfect example for how I should treat others and how I'd like to be treated.

Quote:
"yeah? Well, I didn't like it much either when she threw a rock thru my window!"
Laughing Laughing Laughing
We're all boring law abiders in my family David. We don't provide each other with that sort of juicy gossip or exciting diversions.
Otherwise - yeah - I guess we'd have a field day with it all.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 10:24 pm
@aidan,
David wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
aidan wrote:
We're all boring law abiders in my family David.
We don't provide each other with that sort of juicy gossip or exciting diversions.
Otherwise - yeah - I guess we'd have a field day with it all.
Woud u consider that conversation to be DISLOYAL, Rebecca ?
If u found out about it, woud u complain: "Hay: u guys were DISLOYAL to me."

U guys shuda waited until I got back to say those things
(assuming I ever came back with the bicycle after I finished my banking business).
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 06:01 am
Wow, I was going to put a reply in here, but...my god !

Well, one thing I will say...both sides of the fence could use a little mending....actually, all fences could, but many don't realise the need.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 05:28 pm
@vikorr,
U have posted what u chose to post.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 06:14 pm
When dealing with a big sister, when she is passive-aggressive, if you should go behind her back and discuss "the way she is" you could hurt her feelings and she may never forgive you. This sort of person sometimes seeks revenge. Now, who would want to start such a family go-around? That is cruel. I think the person who asks this question is handling her sister just fine, but a little more straight-forwardness would make her feel less like she's being controlled. Limiting the conversation is a good idea.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 06:32 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:

When dealing with a big sister, when she is passive-aggressive, if you should go behind her back and discuss "the way she is" you could hurt her feelings and she may never forgive you. This sort of person sometimes seeks revenge. Now, who would want to start such a family go-around? That is cruel. I think the person who asks this question is handling her sister just fine, but a little more straight-forwardness would make her feel less like she's being controlled. Limiting the conversation is a good idea.
Possibly, the older sister 'd consider a little more straight-forwardness
as being confrontational, for which she 'd never forgive; maybe.
Pemerson

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, yeah, but walking-on-eggs around this girl encourages her pa behavior.
Say it like it is, and it is up to her how she perceives what she dishes out herself. These people who seem really tough, they crumble when we speak up to them. It scares them! Only thing is, it's hard to do because a certain pecking order in families is engrained in us. Be bold, I'd suggest - step out of the pecking order.