Adventures in Job Searching

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:14 am
I am looking for work. I've been looking since November.

Now, I have things going on that I cannot really talk about in depth as they are still in progress. Plus, A2K is on my resume and I know it is being looked at by potential employers (yes, they get to see all the water softener and Lovatts questions. They tend to be impressed by the Latin translations, though, so thanks, George!). Also, I'm looking for a job in Social Media itself, so A2K looms even larger.

Anyway, I do have some odd little things to report as I go along, so this topic will be a repository for them.

Case in point: I went to a networking meeting a few days ago. The woman was lovely and had a lot of great information, but the best part was when she commented on my Twitter handle (which includes jes). I spelled it out for her. Only one S.

She responded, "So, you leave off the last S for savings?"

I suppose you have to know certain East Coast ads in order to get that joke.

Anyway, more to follow as I continue to explore the wonderful world of networking and interviewing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 28,321 • Replies: 127

Green Witch

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:37 am
So is this the place I should post those in embarrassing pictures of you cavorting with our Chippendale's Santa at the A2K Holiday Party?

(Whoever gets you is going to be one lucky company.)
jespah

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:51 am
@Green Witch,
And, please, information on Western breakfast.

PS Thank you.
Gala

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:51 am
@jespah,
Will you still be doing the lawyering in your new work or are you steering toward something else and leaving the advocationing behind?
jespah

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:52 am
@Gala,
I haven't practiced law since 1990. Smile
dadpad

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 07:57 am
@jespah,
theres an outlaw joke there somewhere.

go jes! I'm rooting for you.

(The other aussies will understand.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:01 am
Just want to wish you all the best in your job hunting, jespah. I'm really surprised that you haven't been snapped up already.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 08:13 am
@jespah,
! Who knew. I thought you were working as a lawyer in a more non-profit capacity. I knew you weren't working for some heavy duty kaching!, kaching! place, but I still thought...

What have you been working as since 1990? A little of this, a little of that? Surely your law background got folded into the work you've been doing?

I'm not exactly sure what you're moving toward in your new career (details to come later, perhaps?), however, you are stellar person on Able2Know and wherever you're heading your new place of employment will be adding a gem.

jespah

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:47 pm
@Gala,
I audited law firms for a while, and understood the computer system better than the other auditors, so when an auditing position was cut and the business analyst quit, I was thrown a huge book on databases and told to teach myself. That was in 1998. I've been in database reporting ever since, am looking to get into social media now.
msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 06:52 pm
@jespah,
How's the job hunting going, jespah?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:35 pm
OK - what's "social media"??
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:39 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
I haven't practiced law since 1990. Smile

Braggart.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:39 pm
@margo,
Ummm.... I think it's sites like facebook. (I THINK!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:42 pm
Jespah - I am thinking that you will be finding a fab new job to go with your fab new lifestyle soon! You deserve it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:57 pm
@jespah,
I'm the odd person who tagged all the western breakfast threads when I was tagging midst-of-the-a2k-change food threads. I just knew that would come in handy..

To anyone checking out Jes, she is a mix of level headed, competent, and sane, blended with creativity and wit. But never mind that. She seems to never blow up, year in and year out, very tempered while not stupid in the least.

I'll leave you with this modicum of food - http://able2know.org/tag/western_breakfast/

Still, this is her story, not ours...

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
And she has a great sense of humor to allow her to roll with the punches.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:48 am
@jespah,
Thanks for the update. I can definitely see you in social media, sort of being behind the scenes when really in the thick of it. You have a generous spirit.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 06:53 am
@ossobuco,
And she's very kind.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:21 am
Oh thank you all. Smile

Social Media is communities like A2K. It is sites like Facebook, too, and Twitter. Blogging as well. It's kind of, hmm, it's people interacting online in order to exchange information, socialize, learn, do business, etc.

Can't say too much as the place I am thinking of as an example is where I am (health permitting) going on a job interview a week from today. But think not only community management (what I do here) but also a company's overall online strategy. A lot of companies understand they need to do something in the social media sphere but have no sense of how to begin it. I confess I have zero marketing background except for the key wording I do here.

But if, say, it's a publishing house (the last company I worked for was a publisher, and I'm not interviewing there, so I'll use them as an example) -- the company may want to sell not only its products online but also peripherals that go along with them (say, DVDs). They may want to set up a community for people to discuss their books. They may want authors to blog or tweet. They may tweet in order to report on late-breaking stuff, like some major author is coming to town for a book signing, you heard it here first!! They may be looking for book reviewers online. They may need to do some form of damage control with their company communications, and may wish to use the 'net in order to accomplish that.

It's that kind of a thing that I'm looking to spearhead. But the place I am interviewing at is not a publisher. I hope this helps understand what I'm looking to do. A2K has been a pretty amazing training camp for this.
Gala

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 07:34 am
@jespah,
Quote:
Can't say too much as the place I am thinking of as an example is where I am (health permitting) going on a job interview a week from today. But think not only community management (what I do here) but also a company's overall online strategy.

One of the successes of your (in my view) management of this forum is you don't over manage it. In other words, if there's a problem you're available, but all the nuts and bolts you do quietly. So, please, emphasize this if the chance arises in your interview. It's a huge plus, because people never notice when things run smoothly as things do in this forum.