Worst Movies of 2009!

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 11:26 pm
Vulture’s Critics’ Poll: What’s the Worst Movie of 2009?
1/14/10 at 12:32 PM

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/vultures_critics_poll_whats_th_1.html?mid=agenda--20100114#photo=1

Quote:
Who will tell us which, of the 300-plus movies disgorged by Hollywood this year, was truly the most lousy?

Vulture, that's who! The Vulture Critics' Poll is the definitive survey of terribleness in film, with ballots and commentary from 43 of America's most prominent critics, from Manohla Dargis to David Edelstein, from J. Hoberman to A.O. Scott. (But not Anthony Lane! He won't return our e-mails!)

So sit back, click through, and revel in our inglorious list of the ten worst movies of 2009. And when you're done, check out the ballots, complete with awesome commentary from critics finally cutting loose on movies they cannot believe they hated so much.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/vultures_critics_poll_whats_th_1.html?mid=agenda--20100114#ixzz0cehle9ms
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,079 • Replies: 9
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:21 am
I'm always puzzled by these lists.

Several of these movies recieved really good reviews -- Avatar, The Lovely Bones, Precious -- but once they reach a certain level of popularity the critics always back off saying they are awful.

I don't get a chance to see many movies so I compensate by reading lots of movie reviews. Precious got great reviews. I've been wanting to see it because I LOVED the book when I read it 10 years or so ago. It's one hell of a story. Even if it's a crappy adaptation it has to be better than some of the other junk released last year.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:29 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
Several of these movies recieved really good reviews -- Avatar, The Lovely Bones, Precious -- but once they reach a certain level of popularity the critics always back off saying they are awful.

Sorry but you have it slightly wrong Boomerrang. I read a lot of movie reviews (The Village Voice, Time Out New York, CSMonitor, New York Magazine, New York Press, The Onion AV Club, etc...). Reviews come out Thursdays and Fridays of the of the film's first theatrical weekend of release.

So technically they precede the box office popularity by a singular day.

Precious did get a lot of rave reviews but it also got butchered by some notable critics as well.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 15 Jan, 2010 11:37 am
i never read reviews, and i almost never watch trailers (when exactly did they start showing the entire plot of the movie in the trailers)

i just go by what i think i'll like, this saves me having to watch a lot of movies
royable

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Men who Stare at Goats and District 9 definitely were the most atrocious.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:41 pm
@djjd62,
And you also miss a great deal of movies as well DJ.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:44 pm
@royable,
I'll totally disagree with you on District 9. A very effective and ambitious independent work of science fiction.

One of the top 5 movies of the year. Great acting job by the underutilized actor, Sharlto Copley.
0 Replies

Marconni

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 02:50 am
@boomerang,
0 Replies

goru

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 12:05 am
Mean Girls 2 was the worst movie ever seen in my life.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 11:33 am
@goru,
Well I haven't seen the straight to DVD mess. Too much love for the unexpectedly great original film.
0 Replies