Leftover prime rib

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:25 pm
I ordered a "3 rib roast" from the butcher for a special family dinner. When I picked the roast up today it was HUGE. The last 3 rib roast I bought was right at 5 pounds; this one is 7. (I guess I should have specified which end of the rib I needed the roast cut from.)

I considered chopping it in half and freezing part to cook later but thought that might be strange because of the odd number of ribs. (I mean, you need the ribs for a rack, right? Would it cook correctly if it didn't balance?)

I cooked the whole thing. I'm going to have gobs of leftovers. I have several recipes that I typically use for leftovers but not when there is this much.

Can I freeze the other cooked half in it's entireity? Should I slice it first? Will it last in the freezer for at least a couple of weeks? When I reheat it is there a method that works best without overcooking the roast?

Mo and Mr. B like the roast proper better than the meat blended into other meals so I don't want to try to mix it up too much in leftovers.

Help!

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 9,700 • Replies: 15

JTT

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:34 pm
@boomerang,
Worked like a bell for pavlov's dogs - I'm salivating.

rib roast sandwiches, yummy yummy yummy!!!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:36 pm
@boomerang,
my personal feelings are that after freezing, it just is not right as roast again.

taste or texture wise.

shredded it makes for great bbq, or fajeetas.

(but i'm verra picky)
Mame

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:39 pm
@Rockhead,
I agree - or even a stew, but not as a roast.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:56 pm
So you're saying freeze it (whole or sliced) and then use it in these recipies?

A 5 pound roast will easily make 3 to 4 meals for us -- so at least a week worth of heavy (more than usualy) beef eating.

A 7 pound roast is just too much. It will spoil before we could eat all of it so some of it has to be frozen.

There's no way to slice it, freeze it and then just reheat as steaks?

I cook it pretty rare the first time around.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:10 pm
I've never possessed a personal prime rib, heh - but, off the cuff, I'd serve very slightly warmed, just warm enough, sliced prime rib meat in wonderful sandwiches, one or two slices of bread, fixings depending on the people at the feast and their tastes. Many possible fixings...

I wouldn't want to waste the au point tenderness and taste on further cooking.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:14 pm
leftover rib.
That is what happened to GOD... and look what we ended up with.
boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:17 pm
@dadpad,
<snork> to dadpad.

osso, I've found that pound per pound, rib roasts are usually cheaper than other cuts of good steak. I can cook one for a lot less than we'd pay for the same thing out -- and end up with gobs of leftovers.

I don't do it often because the initial outlay of cash can be so high. Still, around Christmas they can be a steal.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:25 pm
@boomerang,
if you were not to freeze it, and take what you were going to save right after you cooked it rare, you could prolly warm it back up later as steaks or roast, and get it to happen again. (not in the micro Rolling Eyes )

once you freeze it, it gets tougher and adds a twang.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:26 pm
@boomerang,
I get that all, boom.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:28 pm
@Rockhead,
man oh man...nothin better than a prime rib sandwich with dippin "jus" on the side
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:30 pm
@panzade,
wot I said.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:46 pm
@boomerang,
False dilemma. There is no such thing as leftover prime rib. Extras, sure. Leftover, no.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 08:50 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

man oh man...nothin better than a prime rib sandwich with dippin "jus" on the side

This. Thin sliced.
panzade

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 11:04 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Thin sliced.

Lovingly thin sliced
0 Replies

kvenables

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 01:29 pm
@roger,
Yes there is such thing as leftover prime rib when u ordered 40lbs or more!
0 Replies