Eat All The Junk Food You Want As Long As You Cook It Yourself

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:32 am
From a new Michael Pollan book, looks good!

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/01/05/health/05pollen_book/articleInline.jpg

Quote:
“Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.” That gets at a lot of our issues. I love French fries, and I also know if I ate French fries every day it would not be a good thing. One of our problems is that foods that are labor or money intensive have gotten very cheap and easy to procure. French fries are a great example. They are a tremendous pain to make. Wash the potatoes, fry potatoes, get rid of the oil, clean up the mess. If you made them yourself you’d have them about once a month, and that’s probably about right. The fact that labor has been removed from special occasion food has made us treat it as everyday food. One way to curb that and still enjoy those foods is to make them. Try to make your own Twinkie. I don’t even know if you can. I imagine it would be pretty difficult. How do you get the cream in there?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/08/michael-pollan-offers-64-ways-to-eat-food/

That's a new angle I hadn't really thought of in the many discussions we've had about diets.

Pollans's dictum "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." is my overall food philosophy, I'm looking forward to this book for a bit more detail. Probably all pretty commonsensical but I really like how Pollan writes about this stuff.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 18,789 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:40 am
Back in the food dark ages (circa 1976) there was a book called How to Make Your Own Convenience Food by Donald German. If you can find a copy I highly recommend it.

You load the Twinkies using a pastry bag that has a metal nozzel tip. Works for homemade Ding Dongs too.
sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:44 am
@Green Witch,
Well there ya go. How hard is it, do you think?

I love this one too: "don't eat cereal that changes the color of your milk." Heh.
mac11

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:48 am
I like "the banquet is in the first bite." So true.

Thanks soz - I'm going to get this book.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:53 am
@sozobe,
Twinkies (and Ding Dongs) are fairly easy. The problem is they are hard to resist and you tend to wolf them down with the justification that you made "healthy" ones.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:08 am
As far as home made french fries - I make them in the oven. I wash and cut up pototoes with the skin on (better for you and easier). I pour a little oil in the bottom of a baking tray, and heat on high heat 375 or 400 in the oven. Take out and lay out the fries so they are not on top of each other. Turn them over when they appear ready and bake some more.

Less messy and not as bad for you as deep frying.
djjd62

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:18 am
@Linkat,
yeah that's how i do it too, but i slice the potatoes (skin on) and then put a couple of teaspoons or so of oil in a bag with the fries, and shake to coat, then put them on non stick baking sheet

i'll do, all types of potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips and turnip
Rockhead

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:18 pm
@djjd62,
how exactly did we go from twinkies to turnips?

please, more unhealthy recipes...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:29 pm
@sozobe,
It's not really a new angle. Michael Pollen has just hit upon an mass information void and he is a good writer.

For example, Pepperidge Farms cookies used to be great. Then they went the less expensive route and changed some of the ingredients. They no longer tasted very good. Same with Smartfood, they substituted cheaper oils, or whatever and it didn't taste the same. Same with Oreos, they went toward the hydrogenated oils.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:15 pm
@sozobe,
That's an interesting view.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:19 pm
@djjd62,
OOH thanks - that sounds like an even better way of doing it!
djjd62

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:21 pm
@Linkat,
you can add stuff too, i put some ground black pepper and dried basil, or you could use chilli powder, anything you like
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:28 pm
@djjd62,
Nice - I'm gonna try it - maybe this weekend.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 05:08 pm
The book arrived -- it is AWESOME! I highly recommend it. Definitely commonsensical so if that sounds annoying (even though it's cheap) don't get it. I found it refreshing though, nice and clear and cuts through a bunch of confusing food/ diet advice.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 04:53 pm
I'm buying it.

I read his other books and was fascinated (a bit horrified too. I always thought "grain-fed beef" sounded so, well, healthy and then you start to think.....wait a minute, cows don't eat grain, they eat grass.....)

Joe(paradigm shift)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 04:57 pm
@Joe Nation,
don't just buy it - ask your local library branch if they've got a copy on hand - put it on the list of books you want them to order

help spread the word to people who can't afford to buy the book
sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 04:57 pm
@Joe Nation,
I know!

Did Jane Brody goose you into wanting to buy it? (She had a highly complimentary column about it on Tuesday...)

I read it in about half an hour but it's really stuck in my head. The kid read it too and keeps quoting rules to me as she points out why a given snack she's made is healthy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 05:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Good idea.

I also want Michael Pollan and Michelle Obama to team up on an initiative to get this book out to every parent of a school-aged child in America.

Hmm. That gets some wheels turning actually...
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 05:40 pm
@sozobe,
here is an article re. grain-fed viz. corn-fed beef from chowhund :

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/400836

Quote:
I lived in Argentina for 2 years and Brazil for 1, where beef is king and all of it is grass fed. Hmmmm...how to put this best.

America is the land of corn fed. Corn fed processed foods, corn fed cows, and corn fed people. This results in corn fed asses, hence the expression "She's a corn fed farm girl", which usually doesn't imply lean. Read Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilema" on the concequences for our health and environment of cheap corn dominating our food supply. Scary.

South America is the land of grain fed. The asses and health of people reflect that. And so do the beef.

When I lived in Buenos Aires, I ate steak at least 4 times a week. The steak is cooked slowly, over wood coals, and is redder, leaner, and tastes cleaner than grain fed beef. Even on "Lomo", which is filet, the meat is tender, juicy, and lean. I could eat 3x the amount of beef that I would eat back home (say 30 or 40 oz) and feel fine...go out and party or surf or do work.

When I returned home it was a kick in the gut. The first steak I had (a decent supermaket sirloin) was like eating beef soaked in water. It tasted bland and though the fat ribbon on the side was flavorful, the meat itself was tough. Even at great steakhouses, like G and Georgetti's in Chicago, I've yet to find something that equals what my cheap neighborhood place in Argentina could deliver.

Grass fed, all the way. Cows weren't born to eat corn any more than they were born to eat ground up dead cattle. Nature tates best the way it was designed.

i've never seen a sign saying " grass-fed" on canadian beef .

i know that the mennonites have wonderful grass-fed christmas geese - very little fat - great flavour !
( haven't had one since ehbeth graduated from waterloo u. - mennonite country , you know ) .
graas-fed livestock will likely be more expensive .
Green Witch

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 06:19 pm
It's fairly easy to find grass-feed beef in the US, but it's considerably more expensive than the factory farmed corn-feed beef most people buy in the supermarket. You can also get buffalo in most US grocery stores now and that's better for human health and the environment. The problem with beef coming from SA is that in order to create the grazing land they cut down rain forests.

What I would like to see in the US is more pastured dairy cows.
0 Replies