Gala

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:45 am
I've included a link for the Kabocha as this woman explains it well and it shows just how beautiful the contrast-- the dark green against the deep orange.

It also has an orange skin variety as well.

With Kabocha you can eat the skin, too. Dalish!

I don't do anything fancy when I cook it, I simply stab the squash with a knife, put the whoe thing on a plate and vook it at 325 for about an hour and a half.

I don't add anything, it's great food to pick at.

http://foodblogga.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-is-kabocha-squash.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,893 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Gala

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 08:51 am
One more thing-- it's got an amazingly creamy texture to it. I gave someone to a guy I work with who's not discerning when it comes to quality food and he let out a little squeal of delight when he bit into it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:28 am
spoon it out and put just enough water in a pot to come about 1/2 way up the squash. Cover and simmer for about 40 minutes.
Pour the squash + water into a blender and make it smooth.
While it is still hot, pour it into a bowl and , if you like, sprinkle some cinnamon on top.

FANTASTIC cold weather soup.
Gala

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:51 am
@shewolfnm,
Can you skip the simmering part and go straight for the blender and the water? then heat it.
Sglass

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 09:59 am
I've got a package of Kabocha Squash seeds which you have inspired me to plant tomorrow. I plan to trellis them on the potting shed.

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:03 am
It looks like pumpkin. Wikipedia describes the taste as between pumpkin and sweet potato, and some even taste like russet potatoes.

What's it taste like to you?
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:19 am
@Gala,
i would not know honestly.

I do not see why the outcome would be much different . I would think it might effect the texture though.
Cant pin point why..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 10:20 am
@InfraBlue,
Have you had the smaller version, acorn squash?

It has a thicker, almost sweeter taste then the acorn.
Gala

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:41 pm
@Sglass,
Quote:
I've got a package of Kabocha Squash seeds which you have inspired me to plant tomorrow. I plan to trellis them on the potting shed.

Every time I gut the inside of the Kabocha I think to myself, man, those would be so great to plant, watch grow then eat. I don't have the space to do it, so I will live vicariously through you.

Can you plant them in wonter? Or maybe you live in a milder climate?
Gala

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:55 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
It looks like pumpkin. Wikipedia describes the taste as between pumpkin and sweet potato, and some even taste like russet potatoes.

What's it taste like to you?

They definitely have a sweetness to them but they're not as starchy as a sweet p'tato, and they aren't like pumpkin. What's amazing about them is the whole package: beautiful to look at, the texture in your mouth is super rich and dense without the fat and the starch. Great snack food.

The blog/recipe I posted is too complicated. All you have to do is eat it plain or add a little of your favorite condiment.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:55 pm
@shewolfnm,
I think Acorn squash is way more dense than the Kabocha.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:04 pm
@Gala,
I live on the Big Island of Hawaii at 4,000 feet. And winter we do have, but it is mild.

I love the kaboca, it does remind me of pumpkin, but much milder taste. It is used a a lot in Thai island cusine. I particularly like it in coconut milk based Thai soups.
Gala

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:15 pm
@Sglass,
You've got the perfect place to grow abundant Kabocha. Have you ever grown it before?

If I classify them as cars:

Pumpkin = Hyundai
Kabocha = Cadillac
0 Replies