Anybody else into Foursquare?

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 04:39 pm
FourSquare is very new and is essentially designed to help people navigate unfamiliar spaces. You go to, say, Philadelphia, and you don't know where to go for fun, or eat, or stay, and you check FourSquare and get recommendations from friends.

Or your friends check in (if they have it on their phones) and let you know where they are, so you can come on over if you like. Enough check ins and you can become "mayor" of your area (more of a more trusted user, so far as I can tell, but also a user who does more funky and interesting things). Plus you can get badges for doing interesting and offbeat things, but I'm enough of a fogey to probably not qualify for many badges -- I'm just not out late enough at night.

So, does anyone else FourSquare???

I hang out as shrinkingjes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,465 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 04:42 pm
@jespah,
I've been wanting to try it, but it's only useful in a handful of big cities right now. I might give it a whirl when I visit San Diego.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 04:43 pm
i see it all over twitter, i doubt they have it for my local town
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 05:04 pm
@jespah,
damn.

i thought you meant the bouncing ball kinda foursquare.

used to do that a lot.

I'm not a social networking kinda guy, sorry...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 05:07 pm
@jespah,
It seems like a cousin/knock-off of Yelp, designed for gamers.

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 05:07 pm
@jespah,
Yikes! I thought you were channeling Aimee Semple McPherson.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
@ehBeth,
It's less about user-reviews than mobile location-centric augmented reality.

That's a mouthful but it's what this is trying to do. These guys founded Dodgeball (which was bought then closed by Google) and then Foursquare. The premise is that your phone knows where you are, and can provide you information and connections based on your location. So it's intended to be consumed on mobile devices and it's like yelp and social networking overlaid on reality (why it's called "augmented reality").
ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 05:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The whole "front-end" of yelp is like that. The chat part - where are you - whatcha doing - where's the party - I'll save 15 seats.

It was how I knew to take a bunch of A2kers to the San Gennaro Festival in New York when we didn't know where to go one afternoon. It's how I got an invite to a magicians' group party at the back of a club. That goes back at least three years.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
and now ... googlebuzz ...

interesting to see how social networks react
0 Replies