IPOD OR ZUNE HD?

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:15 am
I've been wanting to get my hands on an IPOD or a Zune HD. I read the reviews for both, but I am still undecided. Do any of you own an IPOD or a Zune HD?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 14,585 • Replies: 26
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:11 pm
@detroittou,
I like the iPod's. Never tried a Zune.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:33 pm
@detroittou,
Same here. The Ipod Touch has really set the bar for portable electronics. Even if the Zune offered all the same functionality, the Apple products have achieved such market penetration that it is the clear choice. On my Ipod touch, I have applications to connect to my bank, my insurance company, my brokerage, get TV and movie listings and play games. I have all my music, can watch TV shows I missed and routinely pull in podcasts from various NPR shows. I don't know if the Zune can do all of that, but clearly everyone is writing apps for the Ipod.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:42 pm
@detroittou,
I love creative players who are big sellers in Europe if not in the US.

My old old Zen Xtra with a 40 G hard drive came to the end of it lifetime and I then went onto ebay to pick up another one for myself.

The problem is that my mp3 music library and my podcasts and my audio books that I care to have on a player at any one time mean that the players without hard drives do not at yet have the room and the few with hard drive are still expensed.
0 Replies

detroittou

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:12 pm
I think I am inclining more towards an IPod.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 02:58 pm
@detroittou,
Google just released the Nexus One 'Superphone'. But I don't know much about it.

Apple is rumored to be announcing the iTablet (or whatever they are going to call it) sometime later this month.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:22 pm
I got my wife a Zune HD for Christmas. It's awesome.
detroittou

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
Does she like it? Can it let you download movies of any extensions?
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:42 pm
@detroittou,
Yeah, she likes it. You can only download .wmv and .mp4 videos.
BorisKitten

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 04:40 pm
I'd pass on both, if you can wait a few months... I want one of the "Freescale" Tablet PC's, which are supposed to cost $200 or less, once they get the thing into production.

Not just music, but books & the entire web. Then again, that's just me.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 05:19 pm
@BorisKitten,
BorisKitten wrote:

I'd pass on both, if you can wait a few months... I want one of the "Freescale" Tablet PC's, which are supposed to cost $200 or less, once they get the thing into production.

I think the Apple iTablet will probably be very similar in target audience to the Freescale product. I expect an iPod-like product but larger in size and around $500 in cost.
detroittou

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:14 am
@InfraBlue,
How about the touchscreen on the Zune HD? Is it any good?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:34 am
@detroittou,
The touchscreen is cool, but seems to work only with fingers or skin. My wife has acrylic nails, and it won't work with them. She has to use the tips of her fingers or her knuckles.
detroittou

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:45 am
@InfraBlue,
Thanks for the information, my wife too has acrylic nails, and I doubt that she'll like the fact that she won't be able to use the touchscreen. Even though I am getting one for myself I know she will want to use it as well.
0 Replies

detroittou

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:02 am
@InfraBlue,
Everybody here at work is coveting for a Zune HD. I was deciding to get an IPod, but I've been reading more about the Zune HD and sounds like a better deal. My one and only concern though is: like you mentioned before that it only lets you download two file types for movies. Which softwares will let you download good quality movies?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 04:12 pm
@detroittou,
She's been using limewire to download movies and music videos. The quality of the movies she's found ranges from pretty good to bad.
detroittou

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 03:32 pm
@InfraBlue,
Do you know about the regular Zunes? Are they any good? I know they are not HD, but they go as high as 120 GB. The Zune HD only goes up to 32 GB.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 10:25 am
@detroittou,
At Amazon.com, they are selling a 16GB Zune HD for $150 and the 8GB iPod Touch (4th Gen) for $209. Heck, the Zune's 32GB player is $182.54.

The iPod's two cameras, ease of use, and I'm quite used to iTunes media player.
vs
Zune's cheaper cost and larger drive size.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 11:15 am
@tsarstepan,
Zune has an actual HD Radio connection which I would love to use while walking home but the iPod has a greater battery life and the reviews (PC Mag and CNET) both favor the Touch in terms of internet browsing and UI.

Bloody hell this is tough!
djjd62

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2011 11:18 am
@tsarstepan,
i love my ipod touch