((Drooool!)) The Tron Legacy Anticipation Thread!-)

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:26 pm

Quote:
Tron Legacy (December 17)
We’ll be honest: Tron isn’t a great movie. It’s silly and unevenly paced, and the cast, apart from Jeff Bridges and David Warner, is largely charisma-free. But that isn’t the point. Tron doesn’t have to be great; the probably-coolest-when-you’re-12 art design of its fantasy world (because let’s face it, computer-lingo or no, this is pure fantasy) makes sitting through even the silliest dialogue a treat. Threats of a sequel have been floating around for a decade, but with trailers already floating through the data-sphere, it looks like Tron Legacy will be coming to a theater never [sic] all of us next year. Jeff Bridges is back, and Olivia Wilde, an impressive enough visual effect even without CGI, rounds out the younger cast. But really, it’s all about the light cycles, the MCP, and a strange world inspired by computer buzzwords and basic programming knowledge.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-waiting-is-the-hardest-part-32-of-our-most-ant,36620/2/
This Onion AV club reviewer fails to acknowledges that Jeff Bridges has matured into one of the greatest actors of his generation since the original Tron.

Crazy Heart (2009) .... Bad Blake
Tideland (2005) .... Noah
The Door in the Floor (2004) .... Ted Cole
Seabiscuit (2003) .... Charles Howard
K-PAX (2001) .... Dr. Mark Powell
The Big Lebowski (1998) .... Jeffrey Lebowski - The Dude
The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996) .... Gregory Larkin
The Fisher King (1991) .... Jack Lucas
The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989) .... Jack Baker
Tucker: The Man and His Dream (1988) .... Preston Tucker
Starman (1984) .... Starman

This sequel is most certainly from the post-Dark Knight cinematic world as its ever so menacingly hinted by the low key sinister scoring of the trailer. Do we really have to wait until bloody December of 2010?! http://i50.tinypic.com/2rnzb85.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,568 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2010 01:41 pm
I'm excited.

T
K
O
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 11:20 am
Snippets of the score are on streaming here:

It's some potent stuff. It's highly likely I will be getting the score soundtrack when it hits Amazon's MP3 store.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 11:45 am
@tsarstepan,
Looks very Matrix-y, which isn't a surprise considering the material.

Why do the lightcycles sound like they have internal combustion engines?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 11:53 am
@DrewDad,
Well it's a virtual reality based world so I guess you could make it sound like anything including kitty-cat purring.

Like this cat:

Even though this cat is in a desperate need for a major engine tune up! Shocked

Just listen to the cat's faulty time belts et al! Confused
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 09:36 pm
Tron: Legacy of course isn't merely complete without it's partner video game.

The original video game that paralleled the original Disney film was legendary in terms of its playability, its re-playability, its graphics for the day were great and they tied in well with the film.

So of course, the latest Tron should be expected to be accompanied by another video game.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-beyond-tron-evolution/706808

Given that most video game tie-ins that accompany their respective high profile blockbuster films tend to be throw away marketing gimmicks at best, I'm hoping that Disney did not waste blocks of money on this game and actually gave the game producers the chance to build up a viable gaming universe that holds onto the legacy and respected history of the first Tron arcade game.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 09:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh ****! I was so excited I somehow managed to report this thread! haha! Sorry!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 11:46 pm
Finished watching Tron 3D. It's a fine distraction of a popcorn flick. Best to watch at home and watch a much more deserving film at the theaters.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 04:48 am
I saw it. Lots of flash and glitz, but boring. Hollywood needs to forget about 3D and learn how to tell good stories.
djjd62

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 06:11 am
@rosborne979,
this seems to be the general consensus, james cameron has a lot to answer for, as radio god ron bennington stated around the time avatar was ushering in the 3D era, " we have plenty of 3D performances now, they're called plays, stick to making good movies"
rosborne979

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 07:34 am
@djjd62,
Once you've seen it and the novelty has worn off, 3D just doesn't add that much to any movie I've seen. And in a lot of cases it's distracting. And the glasses are annoying (or maybe that's because the movies are so boring that I notice the glasses, not sure yet).
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 10:07 am
@rosborne979,
The problem with 3D is when the filmmakers add the process postproduction rather then during the actual filming.

Did you notice the weird disclaimer at the beginning of the Tron: Legacy film? It said that parts of the movie was filmed in 2D and parts in 3D and that the viewer should continue wearing the 3D glasses throughout the entire film.

I hear that a lot of people don't like 3D. The tickets are too high. They get motion sickness and/or headaches when they where the 3D glasses over their own. That the 3D effect isn't worth it. And many use the critical word "distracting." But I have seen several great movies where the 3D effect added rather then subtracted to the package.

Coraline, Toy Story 3, and Up were great in 3D. For the studios to be truly successful, they have to lower the ticket prices back to their regular film prices and find a way to boost the technology and lose the glasses. I believe its a natural evolution of the medium like adding sound and creating talkies or adding color to the silver screen.

Avatar was so bloody boring and the allegedly magnificent world was so underwhelming that it didn't matter if it was in 3D or not. Add 3D to a turkey of a film, you get to see how ugly the turkey of a film can be.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2010 01:10 pm
This just tweeted by my fave Mythbuster:
Quote:
donttrythis Adam Savage
I saw Tron. It's lovely. But the script is... well, I'm sure a whole bunch of people worked hard on it-- and that THAT was the problem.

Best review I've read on the film.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » ((Drooool!)) The Tron Legacy Anticipation Thread!-)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:28:38